Benny Hill !

Douglas

He wasn't my cup of tea, I'm afraid.  But he was quite popular, so undoubtedly someone else here will agree with you.

• Like 1

:bouncy: I loved that show, especially the songs.

• Like 1

My dad thought he was hysterical. Me, not so much, but I do remember laughing at some skits.

• Like 1

Yes; he probably wasn't quite suited to the "younger" generation; having said that: some of the "older" generation didn't like him either!

I think he overdid the "girls in scanty costumes" bit; but when they weren't being featured,  I thought he was a very funny and clever man; He was possibly at his best, in the 1960s, when he worked for the BBC: before he started working for THAMES TELEVISION from 1970 onward: The BBC episodes (1960 - 1969) were in Black and White, and the THAMES TELEVISION episodes (1970 - 1988) were in colour. 

Fwiw, I was never bothered by that girls bit and I'm usually rather touchy about these things; probably because he wasn't making fun of the girls themselves, but of the men who lost the ability to think straight in their presence. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I will admit that A} I never watched much of his show, just a few bits and pieces, and B} all that sticks in my mind is some rather scantily (un)clad women.  But what little I saw did not entice me to see more.  My overall impression was that his humor was rather rude (in the British sense).

• Like 1

Frankly, I'm having a hard time imagining anything ruder than what passes for American humor.... :D 

• Like 1

But my exposure to Benny Hill was back in the sixties, when American TV was still relatively sanitized -- so Hill's brand of humour came as quite a shock!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Caya said:

Fwiw, I was never bothered by that girls bit and I'm usually rather touchy about these things; probably because he wasn't making fun of the girls themselves, but of the men who lost the ability to think straight in their presence. :rolleyes:

Caya: I totally agree! Yes; that was the point! His show was having a go at men; not women!  Because a lot of men can't control themselves! 

• Like 1