Steve Thompson's "Vienna Blood"

Carol the Dabbler

Hello all,

Ive recently watched a series that I can recommend. I even think that it might have been mentioned on here before? It’s called Vienna Blood. Set in the late 19th century in Vienna (who’d have guessed that?😃) The two main characters are a Police detective who gets assistance from a young guy who is a disciple of Freud. There have been 2 series so far with 3 episodes in each series. Brilliant stuff imo. Definite shades of Holmes and Watson but no direct links. I don’t watch many movies so to be honest there was only one actor/actress that I knew and it was an English tv actress called Amelia Bullmore who plays the mother of one of the leads. I’m certainly hoping for a 3rd series.👍

Finally, someone to gush about Vienna Blood with. :wub:

We have a thread for it actually and I took the liberty of moving your post there.

Anyway, yes, it's brilliant. :thumbsup: And like half of the actors are Austrian (from "oh, that guy" to "wow, she's in that?" levels of fame) including the inspector so it's little wonder you haven't seen them before.

3rd series is confirmed btw and set to be filmed this year. :party:

5 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Definite shades of Holmes and Watson but no direct links.

... unless you count Steve Thompson (writer of "The Reichenbach Fall"), who is heavily involved behind the camera.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:05 PM, Caya said:

Finally, someone to gush about Vienna Blood with. :wub:

We have a thread for it actually and I took the liberty of moving your post there.

Anyway, yes, it's brilliant. :thumbsup: And like half of the actors are Austrian (from "oh, that guy" to "wow, she's in that?" levels of fame) including the inspector so it's little wonder you haven't seen them before.

3rd series is confirmed btw and set to be filmed this year. :party:

Thanks Caya,

Yes I seemed to recall the series being mentioned on here before it was released but I couldn’t recall where. I think it’s a really well made series with great locations, costume, acting and atmosphere. If someone did a Holmes series with this level of value for money I’d be a happy man. I’m still a happy man though to hear you say that a 3rd series is in the pipeline. I’d meant to check but hadn’t got around to it. Quality stuff.

I thought that Matthew Beard was a familiar face but I couldn’t place him but I’ve just found that he’s been in a few uk tv series. And of course he was in Dracula by Moftiss. 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:30 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

... unless you count Steve Thompson (writer of "The Reichenbach Fall"), who is heavily involved behind the camera.

To be honest I hadn’t heard of him Carol. It’s the kind of thing that real Sherlock experts would know.🙂

20 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I hadn’t heard of him

You mean you watch a TV show without memorizing all the credits?   :P

😃

I’m afraid so Carol. I suppose that I paid even less attention than usual because most of the actors are ones that I wouldn’t know. It’s quality stuff though imo.

2 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

most of the actors are ones that I wouldn’t know.

The only member of the Sherlock cast I'd ever seen before was Wanda Ventham (Mummy Holmes/Cumberbatch), who was in just about all the British shows I'd seen up till then.  But I live way over here in the US!

Surely you had seen, say, The Office? -- or Till Death Us Do Part?

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

The only member of the Sherlock cast I'd ever seen before was Wanda Ventham (Mummy Holmes/Cumberbatch), who was in just about all the British shows I'd seen up till then.  But I live way over here in the US!

Surely you had seen, say, The Office? -- or Till Death Us Do Part?

To be honest Carol I’ve only seen an episode or 2 of The Office. The only Till Death Us Do Part that I know was a 60’s or 70’s tv series.

55 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

The only Till Death Us Do Part that I know was a 60’s or 70’s tv series.

That sounds about right.  And then Beryl Vertue (more recently exec producer of Sherlock, by the way) sold the copy-cat rights to a US company, which produced their own version, called All in the Family.  But back to the original British series: the adult daughter of the older couple was played by the late Una Stubbs, AKA Sherlock's Mrs. Hudson.

I’m a sucker for a ‘link’ as you may recall. I often challenge myself to find a Sherlock Holmes link to some tv show or movie. Even my friends have been known to challenge me on it. It’s very silly but I always try.😀

• 11 months later...

I don’t have any idea about other countries, sorry, but here in Austria series 3 of Vienna Blood is about to be broadcast (on Dec 30 and Jan 2 and 3), so keep an eye out for it. I’m sooooooo looking forward to this. :bouncy: :cheers:

• Thanks 1

Apparently here in the US it'll start January 8 on PBS, and will presumably air on BBC 2 even sooner.  But do check your local listings.

• Like 1