Seventhdoctor

Which actor to play sherlock looks the most like the one from the novels?

Get out of here!

Seriously though, always Benedict for me.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

That's a tricky question there ... I'd go with Rathbone, too, mostly for nose-related reasons.

• Like 1

Hi there Seventhdoctor! Welcome to the forum!

I think I'll have to go with Rathbone too, not just for the nose but also for his height. I don't think he was really that much taller than my second choice, Jeremy Brett, but he seemed taller.

• Like 2

In that picture, I agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Hello all. Hope everyone is well?

Herlock!  How ya been?

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Arthur Wontner is usually considered the actor that most resembled the Paget drawings.

Who's generally considered closest to Watson/ACD's verbal descriptions?  (It's my impression that Paget based his drawings more on who was available to act as a model than on the descriptions in the stories.  Of course when he illustrated the early stories, there wasn't all that much verbal description available yet.)

16 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Herlock!  How ya been?

Who's generally considered closest to Watson/ACD's verbal descriptions?  (It's my impression that Paget based his drawings more on who was available to act as a model than on the descriptions in the stories.  Of course when he illustrated the early stories, there wasn't all that much verbal description available yet.)

Hello Carol, I’m fine thanks.

Doyle knew a Dr called James Watson who was probably the inspiration. You’re right though that there isn’t much to go on from the stories. In a Study In Scarlet he’s described as:

”as thin as a oath and brown as a nut” but this is just after he’d returned from Afghanistan. Later on he’s described as of a more average build. For me the actor that I think looks and acts closer to my idea of Watson was André Morell who played the role in the Hammer Hound Of The Baskervilles In 1959 alongside Cushing as Holmes. It’s a pity he only played Watson once.

This is him:

https://www.google.com/search?q=andre+morell+watson&safe=strict&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB704GB704&hl=en-GB&prmd=niv&sxsrf=ACYBGNQ_tnB4NVRm1ScR--vAvityQwa42w:1569080464787&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih4uidoOLkAhVUVsAKHT6fCpsQ_AUIFygC&biw=1024&bih=1257#imgrc=IYwy86X_UQ_mjM

Heres a clip of him in action. Well.....not exactly action .

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Herlock!  I see that I worded my question poorly, since I actually meant to ask what actor is generally considered to be closest in appearance to Watson's (i.e., ACD's) description of Holmes in the stories.  But your reply was interesting, especially since people don't often pay much attention to Watson.  I like that actor; he's not the usual, but he's not a bad fit to the stories' descriptions of Watson, and judging by that brief bit, he gives a very natural sounding (rather than "dramatic") delivery.

• Like 1

I couldn't help but laugh at how lurid that ad made the movie look, though. :lol4:  And I don't think I've ever seen Peter Cushing smile before! He's transformed!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Thanks, Herlock!  I see that I worded my question poorly, since I actually meant to ask what actor is generally considered to be closest in appearance to Watson's (i.e., ACD's) description of Holmes in the stories.  But your reply was interesting, especially since people don't often pay much attention to Watson.  I like that actor; he's not the usual, but he's not a bad fit to the stories' descriptions of Watson, and judging by that brief bit, he gives a very natural sounding (rather than "dramatic") delivery.

He also played Professor Quatermass in the classic (imo) Quatermass And The Pit.

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I couldn't help but laugh at how lurid that ad made the movie look, though. :lol4:  And I don't think I've ever seen Peter Cushing smile before! He's transformed!

Hi Arcadia,

They certainly went over the top with the gothic horror. Cushing And Morell were excellent though. Christopher Lee was a bit of an unsympathetic Sir Henry though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

They certainly went over the top with the gothic horror.

Was the movie actually like that?  Or did they make it look that way for the trailer?

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Was the movie actually like that?  Or did they make it look that way for the trailer?

It was actually quite like that🙂

I certainly enjoyed it though. I’m due to watch it again. It was the first colour version of The Hound and Peter Cushing got the tv series on the strength of this performance. It’s worth a watch if you ever get the chance.

• Thanks 1