New Dark Theme

Artemis

Is there a way to possibly keep the old dark theme as an option?  The new one is really hard on my eyes, and the light theme is too.  I have to squint to post this.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Is there a way to possibly keep the old dark theme as an option?  The new one is really hard on my eyes, and the light theme is too.  I have to squint to post this.

I agree -- gray on black doesn't provide much contrast.

Plus at the moment, new posts are showing up as gray on white, which doesn't have much contrast either.  I'm gonna reload my browser and see if it's still like that.

• Thanks 1

Actually, it seems to be just quotes and PM posts that are gray on white.  Could they maybe be made the same as regular forum posts, depending on which theme a person chooses?  And preferably either light on dark or dark on light, rather than medium gray on either?

17 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I agree -- gray on black doesn't provide much contrast.

Is yours black?  On my laptop it's a dark navy blue.  The old blue was softer and much easier on my eyes, this one hurts.

17 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Plus at the moment, new posts are showing up as gray on white, which doesn't have much contrast either.  I'm gonna reload my browser and see if it's still like that.

I tried, but it's still the same for me.

2 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Actually, it seems to be just quotes and PM posts that are gray on white.

^ And when typing out a new post in the editor.

• Like 1

Yeah, that new editor is gonna kill my eyes, just like the new PM color scheme.

I dunno for sure whether the new dark background is black or navy blue (I never could tell the difference with socks either), but really dark in any case.  I never paid much attention to the exact color of the old dark background, but I'm pretty sure the lettering was more contrasty than the new version, easier to read.

Here's an example screenshot of the previous dark theme (a little fuzzy from being scaled down, sorry).

93da416505fb93e0a7abfd26b075b7de8986a4fd

Part of a post I had screenshotted for some reason.

5d2cc23bf81e664f184e66cecd0abc133dff2abc

• Thanks 1

I just had a look at the light theme, and find it noticeably easier to read (more contrasty) than the light areas of the new dark theme.  I suppose I could use the dark theme for reading regular forum posts and the light one for PMs and any lengthy editing.  But that'd be a major nuisance, and all of those things were even easier for me with the old BlueBoh.

Light theme is a little better, but still no good for me.  :(

Yeah, I'm seeing dark blue, and both themes are hard on my eyes too, although the light one's better (but boring! :smile: )

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2019 at 4:16 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Maybe Tim can tweak the colors on the new dark theme.  I hope.

This is certainly an option. I’ll look into it in the next few days.

• Thanks 3

Much better now, to my eyes at least, so thank you! :thumbsup: But now the reply box has white-on-white text when I use the default theme, which makes replying a bit awkward.

eta: Aaand it's grey now (eeta: and now, black), thanks for the quick fix! :applause:

Edited by Caya
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
  • Like 1

Tim, I saw Martina's post and switched back to dark to have a look.  The light-background portions (editor and PMs) have better contrast now (though I actually preferred how the old dark theme had everything on a dark background).  But in the dark-background portions the writing is nearly invisible, at least to my eyes (I have to highlight it in order to read it at normal speed).  Maybe I've caught you in mid-tweak, but the writing needs to be quite a lot lighter in order to provide sufficient contrast.

Ah -- much better now!  :D   There are still a few spots with black-on-black or white-on-white lettering (I assume you're still tweaking, Tim; let me know when you're ready for a list), but in general I find it quite readable.

Artemis, Arcadia, et al. -- how does it look to you?

A big improvement!  Like Carol said there are still a few places that need tweaking (and I'd really love if the reply/editor box were also dark instead of white), but I can read without squinting too hard now, which makes me happy.  :smile:  Many thanks for working on it!

(P.S. If you are mimicking the last dark theme, the color of the post boxes was darker, as in the screenshot I added above.  I would like it to be darker like that again but I don't want to be picky, lol.  Carry on!)

• Like 1