Episode 1.3, "The Great Game"

Undead Medic

What Did You Think Of "The Great Game?"  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote Here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

And we missed two bits: all ACD fans know that the shooting the wall scene comes from the Musgrave Ritual. but then Mr Gatiss almost seamlessly works into it the beginning of the Sign of the Four, the part where Mr Holmes is not at all pleased to have had his blind spots (solar system) published. And their cut-glass mirror apparently has had pups, because they are to be found right and left of Mr Prince's fireplace, unless they borrowed one from the flat and got its twin somewhere in the props department!

• Like 1

The mirrors I noticed. They are not identical with the one at 221B, but they might be it's pups, though. You never know what your props are doing in the storage during the hiatus. They must have started to reproduce out of sheer boredom.

• Like 4

Also, in 1846, there was no discovery of a supernova, Van Buren or otherwise, BUT they discovered Pluto and its satellites, poor maligned little planet! The only supernova that fits the description was one discovered then in the Aquila (Eagle) constellation of NGC 1701, which brings a smile to the face of every true Star

Trek fan ^_^

• Like 1

Oh, thanks for looking after that!

In the meantime, I found the door to 221C.

LB4BMF.png

There must be another stairway behind the door, leading to the basement.

So the question how Jim could know reminds unanswered. Unless Mrs Hudson is his agent. :wacko:

• Like 1

Now that would be an interesting plot twist: Mrs. Hudson somehow related and/or tied to Moriarty from her past with her late husband.

Building plan stored in an archieve somewhere, verified by at least one agent of his who was sent inside even for just a moment.

Moriarty could know about the existence of 221C from just looking at the building from the street, though yes, the building's blueprints could tell him where the stairs were.  But that still leaves us wondering how he knew that Sherlock had been down there.

Oh, wait a minute -- Sherlock communicates via either email or cell phone.  At that time, Mrs. Hudson did not have a computer (see John's blog).  So Moriarty's minions hacked into Sherlock's cell phone transmission and overheard his conversation with Mrs. Hudson setting up the appointment to look at her flats (plural).

• Like 1

Well, Moriarty makes that statement in the pool after Sherlock says he doesn't have a heart and Moriarty responds that that is not quite true...which leads me to believe that Moriarty has been following Sherlock's life for a long time, perhaps even since the original incident with Carl Powers, especially if young Sherlock was really making a stink about it at the time.

So while I see Moriarty having watched Sherlock for a long time, I think Sherlock accidentally stumbled onto Moriarty's network via the suicide murders.  They could have been bait to lure Sherlock out to play, but Moriarty is very clear in the pool scene in TGG that he feels Sherlock has been prying.  

But to get back to 221C, it's possible Sherlock initially looked at that flat when he went to Mrs. Hudson for a place to rent, and that he turned it down in favor of 221B.  If Moriarty has been monitoring him, it's possible he knew that Sherlock had looked there.

• Like 2

... to get back to 221C, it's possible Sherlock initially looked at that flat when he went to Mrs. Hudson for a place to rent, and that he turned it down in favor of 221B.  If Moriarty has been monitoring him, it's possible he knew that Sherlock had looked there.

Yes, according to Mrs. Hudson, he did check out "C" that day: "You had a look, didn’t you, Sherlock, when you first came to see about your flat." But again, how would Moriarty be able to tell that they went down to the basement? (Maybe it was at night, so they had to turn the lights on?)

• Like 1

Maybe Moriarty had so thoroughly researched all of Sherlock's case that he knew about Mrs. Hudson.  Perhaps somehow Moriarty  secretly dropped the hint to Sherlock that she had rooms for rent.  And so Sherlock went to check it out...

I guess it doesn't too much matter how Moriarty knew, and it's not like he was depending on that specific fact anyhow -- if he hadn't known about 221C, he would have simply used something else.  As has been said, he had been stalking Sherlock for years, so he had a bunch of assorted data on him.

• Like 2

yes, Sherlock had a stalker.  I wonder, although it's too late now to deal with it, that if Sherlock looked back prior to TGG if he would have seen any clues that he was being stalked.

• Like 3

Based on .... ?  :huh:

Mind-reading?

• Like 1

yes, Sherlock had a stalker.  I wonder, although it's too late now to deal with it, that if Sherlock looked back prior to TGG if he would have seen any clues that he was being stalked.

Oh, the cabbie said that, but he called Jim "a fan".

Jim's behavior is contradictory. He invites Sherlock to play, and then says to stay away. (damn, now I start write in rhymes :blink: )

The only possibility would be that Jim in his infinite boredom couldn't resist a provocation. And he should have known, that Sherlock always does the opposite to what he's been told.

• Like 5

Remember too that Mycroft said that he kept tabs on people like Moriarty, so I wonder if Mycroft  was well aware of him before Sherlock and in fact, Sherlock was little more than a pawn.

• Like 2

ODE TO JP AND SFMPCO

Jim's behavior is contradictory.
Does he really desire a victory?
He asks Sherlock to play,
then says stay away.
Then he delivers an odd valedictory.

In his infinite boredom he just can't resist
A provocation, or a virtual twist
Of Sherlock's nose. "Back off,"
Says Jim, knowing S. will scoff,
Do just the reverse, with glee, and persist.

Remember, too, Myc's idea of a party
is to keep tabs on people like Jim Moriarty.
If so, Sherlock and John's
Fate was to be just pawns.
Which makes Mycroft an unscrupulous smarty.

• Like 7

Dear Arcadia, that is priceless! From now on I shall keep the last line in my head to rime with ANYTHING said or written by Mr Moffat! You are a genius in your own way!

• Like 2

Honestly, I don't know where that came from, it just sort of ... happened.... (Oh God, we need another episode.....)

• Like 3

Honestly, I don't know where that came from, it just sort of ... happened.... (Oh God, we need another episode.....)

You should let it happens more often.

Not that I wish the hiatus is longer. God no.

• Like 2

I must wait until the muse strikes again... can't force genius, you know.... :p

• Like 1

I must wait until the muse strikes again... can't force genius, you know.... :P

Please remember to tag me.

As much as I am an ignorant clot about those fancy writing, I enjoy rhythmic word playing. :)

May the muse strike you again! (And I am sure there are many grammatical errors somewhere here) XD

• Like 2

I loved the opening scene showing Sherlock's almost visceral discomfort with language inaccuracies - his cringing at "weren't a real man" was real, and his dismissive "Hanged...yes" was classic.

But then in A Scandal in Belgravia he says (to Mycroft) "You knew others were after her (Adler) before you sent John and I in there" - the correct phrasing would be "you sent John and me" instead of " you sent John and I". I replayed it to make sure I'd heard right, and it was my turn to cringe :(

This "I vs. me" seems to be a common colloquial error that a lot of people in Britain make; still, that's no excuse for Sherlock whose grammar and choice of words is otherwise nothing less than impeccable.

• Like 1

Hello Boswell and welcome to the forum! :wave: Glad you jumped right in :smile:.

As for I vs. me, maybe Sherlock just can't see himself being an object of Mycroft's :P.

• Like 1