Least favorite, lol, there's a concept. I'll have to ponder on that one.

Favorite: Ummm… I'll start with one I saw just recently:

"It’s not a pleasant thought, John, but I have this terrible feeling, from time to time, that we might all just be human."
"Even you?"
"No. Even you."

From The Lying Detective. I love how that episode ultimately turns out to be about John.

• Like 5

It's such a profound quote...

My personal favourite is one of Mycrofts, that's more funny than emotional

'Dont reply, just look frightened and scuttle.'

Trust Gatiss to give himself the best lines!

That said, though, if I was him, I'd give myself the best lines! 

• Like 2

A couple from The Lying Detective:

Mrs. Hudson to John: He knows you’re an idiot but that’s okay because you’re a lovely doctor. (Actually, I probably enjoy John's reaction as much as the quote itself. :D )

Sherlock: Really? I correctly anticipated the responses of people I know well to scenarios I devised? Can’t everyone do that? (Although, again, it's probably the look on his face as he says it that sells the line. Both Ben and Martin are on fire in that episode.)

I've always found it interesting that one of their darkest episodes also has some of the funniest lines. Genius.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I've always found it interesting that one of their darkest episodes also has some of the funniest lines.

Hmm, I think you're right.  Well, they do seem to maintain a good balance of funny to somber -- so come to think of it, the darkest episodes would need to have the best comic relief.  (I also find Mycroft's "nightmare" at the beginning of Final Problem to be really hilarious -- especially John's parting comment.)

Mercifully they don't seem to do unrelieved-grim episodes, as most series (even comedies) seem to feel compelled to do now and then.

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Mercifully they don't seem to do unrelieved-grim episodes, as most series (even comedies) seem to feel compelled to do now and then.

TFP came awfully close, though. All the humor was in the first few minutes. Would have been out of place in the rest of the episode, but still … I think that's one reason I'm not overly fond of it.

• Like 1

Yeah, it really was, but I was trying to give them a break. :D  Mostly it was just too over the top, as was the rest of the episode. There's a place for that kind of thing, but after TLD wasn't the place.

• Like 2