Sign in to follow this  
Carol the Dabbler

Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS!)

Because some people haven't yet seen the latest Star Wars movie, I'm creating a separate thread where we can discuss details, ask questions, express opinions, etc. regarding ANY of the Star Wars movies.

* * * *  HERE  THERE  BE  SPOILERS !!!  * * * *

I have some questions regarding the ending of Star Wars IX, The Rise of Skywalker.

1.  When Rey goes to Luke's old home on Tatooine, why does she bury the two light sabers?

2.  What is the third object that she pulls out afterward?  (I thought it might be an old-fashioned light saber -- was it from the second trilogy?)

3.  She appears to do some thinking before announcing that her surname is Skywalker.  I have some thoughts as to why she made that choice, and why she felt that she had the right to do so, but would like to hear other people's ideas.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 5:12 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I have some questions regarding the ending of Star Wars IX, The Rise of Skywalker.

1.  When Rey goes to Luke's old home on Tatooine, why does she bury the two light sabers?

2.  What is the third object that she pulls out afterward?  (I thought it might be an old-fashioned light saber -- was it from the second trilogy?)

3.  She appears to do some thinking before announcing that her surname is Skywalker.  I have some thoughts as to why she made that choice, and why she felt that she had the right to do so, but would like to hear other people's ideas.

Well, she's obviously not too keen on the Palpatine legacy and she probably sees herself more as Luke and / or Leia's spiritual daughter and Kylo's Force sister. (I liked the Force Dyad idea but they seemed more like twins to me than potential lovers which is one reason why I found the kiss jarring and weird, almost inappropriate). 

I don't quite understand your second question, are you referring to the yellow lightsaber? 

15 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

she's obviously not too keen on the Palpatine legacy and she probably sees herself more as Luke and / or Leia's spiritual daughter and Kylo's Force sister.

Yeah, that's roughly what I thought (though I did get more of a romantic feeling between her and Kylo/Ben).  She'd been Luke's protege and also Leia's (in different ways), so that they were really the closest thing to a family she'd had since she was a little girl.

15 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

I don't quite understand your second question, are you referring to the yellow lightsaber? 

I have no idea.  She buried two lightsabers in the sand, and then she pulled out another object that looked to be about the same size and shape, but with different details -- looked like it might have had a wooden handle, which is why I said it looked old-fashioned.  By that time, I had kinda lost count of the lightsabers, so I have no idea whether/where I'd seen it before.