Sign in to follow this  
All Right, Spock

Who's the best actor to portray Holmes?

I'll keep this simple, so out of all mainstream actors to portray Holmes in radio plays, television shows, and movies but not as a cameo, i.e Data pretending to be Sherlock Holmes in Star Trek The Next  Generation doesn't count. Actors like Jeremy Brett, Robert Downey Jr, Benedict Cumberbatch, Basil Rathbone, Clive Merrison et cetera. I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere on this forum, but I couldn't find it. 

If anyone says their favourite actor to portray Holmes is Will Ferrel, I will be disappointed. 

Personally, my favourite actor to portray Holmes in any medium is Clive Merrison in the BBC radio plays. He sounds exactly like I imagined Holmes would in my head. My favourite actor to portray Holmes in television is Jeremy Brett, with Benedict Cumberbatch coming a close second. 

Tell me what you think.

None of us here are pros. :smile: Well we do have one member who wrote some screenplays, but she's not much around these days. Anyway, hard to pick a favourite - and does it have to be someone who actually played him? Because I for one would love to see Sir Patrick Stewart give it a try. :picard2:

• Like 1

Oh, dear -- there are so many to choose from (and of those I've seen only a fraction) -- but I suppose most of us are in that boat.

I guess I'd have to pick Jeremy Brett.  But I don't think I've ever seen a Holmes that I didn't like -- they're merely different.  (Note to All Right, Spock:  I have not yet seen Will Ferrell's version, nor do I expect to.  I like him far better as a serious actor.)

I don't know about favorite, but I'm going to give props to RDJ (and Jude Law) for rekindling my interest in Sherlock Holmes after many years.  Before "A Game of Shadows", my exposure was mostly in early childhood with "The Great Mouse Detective" and Basil Rathbone (which I found dry at the time, but have since learned to appreciate more).  All the portrayals I've seen are different and interesting in their own way.  I think some notable mentions are Sir Ian McKellen in "Mr. Holmes", and Nicol Williamson in "The Seven-Per-Cent Solution", even though he wasn't as I pictured Holmes to be.

I'd also add that, for me, how much I like a Holmes portrayal is highly dependent on the chemistry between Holmes and Watson.  If I don't feel their kinship, then they don't seem quite suited to their individual characters' roles, either.  But as long as that piece fits, I can enjoy pretty much any portrayal.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I'd also add that, for me, how much I like a Holmes portrayal is highly dependent on the chemistry between Holmes and Watson.  If I don't feel their kinship, then they don't seem quite suited to their individual characters' roles, either.  But as long as that piece fits, I can enjoy pretty much any portrayal.

Hear, hear!  That chemistry is SO important!

• Like 2

Tom Baker

• Like 1