Sherlock Holmes 3 in 2021

Moderator's note by Carol the Dabbler:  This post appears to be haunted by the ghost of a Portuguese translator!  When I first read Rebecca's original post yesterday, it was in Portuguese, which seemed odd, because I had already seen some of her other posts, written in English.  Anyway, I used Babelfish.com to translate the post into English and added the translation to the top of her post, along with a note explaining what I'd done.

Well, this morning the entire post (including my note!) was in Portuguese!  All I can figure is that a translation routine had somehow become embedded in it.  I have therefore deleted the entire contents and started over, in hopes that it will stay in English.  *fingers crossed*

So here's my reconstruction-from-memory of Rebecca's original post:

It is now known for certain that the next Holmes movie will be released in December of 2021.  It will again star Robert Downey, Jr. as Holmes and Jude Law as Watson, but unfortunately director Guy Richie had other commitments.

There are various rumors regarding the villain and the plot; for example part of the movie is said to take place in the Old West (thus raising conjectures that the story is based on A Study in Scarlet).

This is my first post, because I want to be in touch with other people who love Sherlock.

• Thanks 1

Er, either my browser is weird or there's something off with that edit, @Carol the Dabbler , but your edit appears in Portugese as well, with the added note that you've used Babelfish, also in Portugese. Either way, if I interpreted that correctly, the next RDJ/Jude Law Holmes movie is now scheduled for December 2021 (should have been this year: https://screenrant.com/sherlock-holmes-3-delayed-december-2021/ ).

• Thanks 1

I saw the edit in English a few hours ago, but now it's Portugese.  Same browser.  Weird.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Good grief, you guys are right, it even translated my moderator's note into Portuguese!  I am bewildered.  I think I'd better delete the entire contents of that initial post, then type in an English version of Rebecca's message, and hope it stays in English this time.

So -- to anyone who saw the Portuguese version but couldn't read it -- go back and read the first post again.  With any luck, it'll be in English now.

Note to Rebecca:  It's interesting to have a real mystery right here in the forum!  I'm guessing that your original post was in English, like your others.  Do you have any idea what happened?  (Also, please let me know if my version of your post is not accurate.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2020 at 6:54 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Boa sorte, vocês estão certos, até traduzir uma nota do meu moderador para o português! Estou perplexo. Acho melhor excluir todo o conteúdo dessa postagem inicial e digitar uma versão em inglês da mensagem de Rebecca, e espero que permaneça em inglês dessa vez.

Então - para quem viu a versão em português, mas não conseguiu ler, ler e ler o primeiro post novamente. Com alguma sorte, estará em inglês agora.

Nota para Rebecca: É interessante ter um verdadeiro mistério aqui no fórum! Acho que sua postagem original estava em inglês, como outras. Você tem alguma idéia do que aconteceu? (Além disso, informe-me se minha versão da sua postagem não for precisa.)

Ei!!

Desculpe pela demora em responder ... Acho que sei qual é o problema! Meus outros posts são realmente em inglês, mas eu escrevi isso em português, porque é mais fácil para mim (eu sou do Brasil). Talvez o problema seja o google translate ... deixe-me explicar: como não sou totalmente fluente em inglês, mas vou a sites escritos nesse idioma, às vezes uso o google translate. O que aconteceu, acho que foi o google traduziu instantaneamente minha postagem para o idioma que eu tinha anteriormente no site.

Esta é a minha teoria :)

Tchau!

edit by Caya: Something peculiar is happening here - I saw your post in English, approved it, and in that moment it turned into Portugese. :huh: Fortunately, I still got the notification email, so I'm gonna paste the English version from there:

Hey!!

Sorry for the delay to answer... I think I know what is the problem! My other posts are really in english, but I wrote this in portuguese, because is more easy to me (I'm from Brazil). Maybe the problem is the google translate...let me explain: as I'm not entirely fluent in english, but I go to websites written in that language, I use the google translate sometimes. What happened, I think was that the google translated instantly my post into the language that I had previously on the site.

This is my theory :)

Bye!

Edited by Caya
Portugese Poltergeists, apparently?
  • Like 1

I never knew I was so fluent in Portuguese!  :D  Thanks for retrieving the original English post, Caya.

I suspect your theory is correct, Rebecca.  With any luck, you'll be able to figure out how to turn off the Happy Translator.  In the meantime, as long as Caya can retrieve your English posts from her email notifications, we'll know what you said.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Eu nunca soube que era tão fluente em português!    Obrigado por recuperar a postagem original em inglês, Caya.: D

Suspeito que sua teoria esteja correta, Rebecca. Com alguma sorte, você poderá descobrir como desativar o Happy Translator. Enquanto isso, enquanto Caya puder recuperar suas postagens em inglês das notificações por e-mail dela, saberemos o que você disse.

I disabled the program that haunts the posts... I'm writing this in english, I hope it will be like this when you receive!!! :)

• Thanks 2

Yes, your words are still in English!  :applause:  (Did my previous post, which you quoted, show up in Portuguese on your computer, Rebecca?  My post is still in English on my computer, but the quote in your post is in Portuguese.)

11 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yes, your words are still in English!  :applause:  (Did my previous post, which you quoted, show up in Portuguese on your computer, Rebecca?  My post is still in English on my computer, but the quote in your post is in Portuguese.)

No, everything was in english... But I think it was "the final problem", since nothing was magically translated anymore! :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, _Holmes_Rebecca_ said:

I think it was "the final problem", since nothing was magically translated anymore!

Hooray!  Thanks, Rebecca -- glad you were able to figure out what was happening.

• 1 year later...

Still in English..!  😊