Sveva

The fourth season vs Doyle's stories

Hi, I have some doubts about the events narrated in season four and I hope you can help me.  I've read Doyle's novels but not the short stories and I think I missed something.  That's why I wanted to ask you if in the books, as in the series, after the last meeting of Holmes and Moriarty at the falls, Moriarty returns.  And also if the story of the sister of the Holmes brothers is so told in the books or if in the series they not only readjusted it but also added several things.  I look forward to an answer.  Thank you for your attention!

• Like 1

Eurus is an original BBC Sherlock invention.

• Thanks 1

Hello, Sveva, and welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:   It's especially nice when a new member posts interesting questions!

Doyle's Moriarty did not reappear (though he might have been referred to in later stories) -- Holmes reported that he saw the villain fall into a raging waterfall, so that was the end of him.  Holmes was, however, concerned about Moriarty's henchmen, and spent the next few years dealing with them.

Besleybean is correct, there is no Eurus in Doyle's stories.  She is, however, based (very loosely) on a few things from those stories and from old fan tradition:

The name of the facility where Eurus lives, Sherrinford, was one of the names that Doyle had thought of using for his detective, before settling on Sherlock instead.  Some fans of his stories later used "Sherrinford" as the name of a hypothetical third Holmes brother.  Near the end of the episode "His Last Vow," Mycroft tells Sir Edwin, "I am not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion; you know what happened to the other one," thus leading fans of the show to expect a third brother (or a sister).  Then early in "The Lying Detective," Lady Smallwood asks Mycroft, "Do you still speak to Sherrinford?" -- thus leading us to believe that the show is following fan tradition regarding a third brother's name.

But then of course Sherrinford turns out to be a place rather than a person, and the brother is actually a sister.  Her name, Eurus, which is the name of the Greek god of the east wind, was apparently inspired by a line from Doyle's story "His Last Bow," in which Holmes tells Watson "... there's an east wind coming...." in reference to the approach of World War I.  This line is quoted or paraphrased several times in series 3 and 4.

Again, welcome, Sveva!  We hope you stick around and post more questions or comments.  Please feel free to post in any existing threads or start more new ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hello, Sveva, and welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:   It's especially nice when a new member posts interesting questions!

Doyle's Moriarty did not reappear (though he might have been referred to in later stories) -- Holmes reported that he saw the villain fall into a raging waterfall, so that was the end of him.  Holmes was, however, concerned about Moriarty's henchmen, and spent the next few years dealing with them.

Besleybean is correct, there is no Eurus in Doyle's stories.  She is, however, based (very loosely) on a few things from those stories and from old fan tradition:

The name of the facility where Eurus lives, Sherrinford, was one of the names that Doyle had thought of using for his detective, before settling on Sherlock instead.  Some fans of his stories later used "Sherrinford" as the name of a hypothetical third Holmes brother.  Near the end of the episode "His Last Vow," Mycroft tells Sir Edwin, "I am not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion; you know what happened to the other one," thus leading fans of the show to expect a third brother (or a sister).  Then early in "The Lying Detective," Lady Smallwood asks Mycroft, "Do you still speak to Sherrinford?" -- thus leading us to believe that the show is following fan tradition regarding a third brother's name.

But then of course Sherrinford turns out to be a place rather than a person, and the brother is actually a sister.  Her name, Eurus, which is the name of the Greek god of the east wind, was apparently inspired by a line from Doyle's story "His Last Bow," in which Holmes tells Watson "... there's an east wind coming...." in reference to the approach of World War I.  This line is quoted or paraphrased several times in series 3 and 4.

Again, welcome, Sveva!  We hope you stick around and post more questions or comments.  Please feel free to post in any existing threads or start more new ones.

Thank you so much for answering me, you've been very helpful and kind!  See you next time!

• Like 1