We have a thread called ‘Funny “Sherlock” Pictures’ that would probably be appropriate for Sherlock memes too, just FYI.  :smile: 

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

We have a thread called ‘Funny “Sherlock” Pictures’ that would probably be appropriate for Sherlock memes, just FYI.

But memes don't have to be pictures, do they?  Aren't some of them concepts, phrases, etc.?

28 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

But memes don't have to be pictures, do they?  Aren't some of them concepts, phrases, etc.?

Not exactly.  Depends on how you define "picture".  A meme can be mostly or all text (like this one, for example), but it is still a picture of text, in picture form.  I post a lot of what could be considered memes in the 'Funny Non-Sherlock Pictures' thread, but even though some of them are just words, they still belong there because they are pictures of words.  I don't think a meme could be in type form like this post; it's always a picture.

I've never really internalized the concept, so I'm just going by online definitions -- one of which said that for example, an email could be a meme (referring specifically, I assume, to viral emails).  Of course one could create an image file of an email, in which case it could be called a picture, but I don't think that's the sort of thing most people think of when they hear the word.  They probably wouldn't even realize that it was an image file unless they tried to search on it.

But more to the point, @SherLOCKED123 -- since this is your thread, what is your definition of "memes" that would be suitable to post here?

I wouldn't consider a viral email a meme, but if it is, that's a pretty rare example, I think.  I haven't seen a viral email (and certainly not one about "Sherlock") in ages, and I'm not sure how one would share something like that on the forum, if anyone were inclined.  As a quote, I guess?

Sherlocked123 can post whatever they want of course, it's their thread.  Every meme I've seen in the last decade+ falls under the umbrella of "pictures", is all I'm saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Artemis said:

We have a thread called ‘Funny “Sherlock” Pictures’ that would probably be appropriate for Sherlock memes, just FYI.  :smile: 

I can't seem to find this thread, any idea where it is?

33 minutes ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

I can't seem to find this thread, any idea where it is?

Here:smile:

• Thanks 2

Yeah, most of the "Sherlock" threads have fizzled out since the end of S4.  That, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of new "Sherlock" art or humor being produced.  Forum participation has fallen a lot in the last year too, I think, and particularly the last few months.

• Like 1

There have never been a lot of people on here at once, seeing as how the members are in so many time zones.  That's why our chat room was rarely used (and was ultimately removed).

As for the Funny "Sherlock" Pictures thread being kinda quiet these days, the only cure for that is to post some more stuff on it -- which you have already made a start on.  Thanks!

Next time you're looking for a certain thread, or wondering whether a certain type of thread already exists here, try using the forum's Search function.  You can access it by clicking on the Search box at the top of a page -- this will produce a drop-down menu, where you'll want to select "Content Titles Only."  On the mobile version, there's a magnifying glass logo at the very top of the page, which will take you to the Advanced Search page, which can be reached on the computer version by clicking on the word Search which appears in the row of links below the top-of--page photo on most pages (I sometime don't find it there, but it seems to be more consistently present on the index pages, as opposed to the thread pages).

In short, I agree with Artemis, probably best to keep the old Funny Pictures thread going.  It's got some good stuff already.  I'll go pin it, so it'll be easier to find.

• Like 1

Do y'all think the Funny Pictures thread would be easier to find if it were in a different section of the forum?  And if so, then where?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Do y'all think the Funny Pictures thread would be easier to find if it were in a different section of the forum?  And if so, then where?

I always thought that the thread was in sort of a weird place, but I honestly don't know a better one.  :bemused:  And I think there are some other picture threads in the same section, like the 'Devastatingly Tragic "Sherlock" Pictures' thread.  On the other hand, 'Favourite "Sherlock" Pictures' is in Miscellaneous Musings...  Maybe picture and video threads should have their own subsection!

7 hours ago, Artemis said:

... there are some other picture threads in the same section, like the 'Devastatingly Tragic "Sherlock" Pictures' thread.  On the other hand, 'Favourite "Sherlock" Pictures' is in Miscellaneous Musings...  Maybe picture and video threads should have their own subsection!

Those are the two thoughts I had as well, but I'm only a moderator, so I can't create new sections.  I did pin the thread, at least.

Next time anybody's having trouble finding the Pictures threads, use the forum search (as described a few posts back) to look for titles containing the word Pictures.  Then you can decide which one is the best fit for what you want to post (or what sort of pictures you'd like to look at).