Irene or Molly?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer, Irene Adler or Molly?

Well of course he would never have had to...

Molly is the better person, but he loves the posh bird!

I thin Irene would challenge him, but Molly would compliment him as a person. Think of it like Irene is Gale, Molly is Peeta and Sherlock is Katniss. They have different dynamics. Irene has the fire that Sherlock has, but he doesn't need fire. He needs someone to teach him what it is to be human, and what it is to be kind.

• Like 1

Although, I think Molly is too timid to call Sherlock out on his bullshit, but Irene would happily do that.

What has poor Molly ever done to you to wish Sherlock as a partner on her? :cry:

(also, Team Molstrade, where are you? :lol: ):molly::lestrade:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know what you mean about Molly, but you can see just by looking at her how much she loves him. Sure, he's hard to deal with, and sure, he might be bad for Molly, but have you ever considered that she might be good for him? 

Ps. I am team Molstrade all the way!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

Irene has the fire that Sherlock has, but he doesn't need fire. He needs someone to teach him what it is to be human, and what it is to be kind.

Sherlock doesn't need anyone else to teach him that -- as long as he has John.

Besides, Molly clearly belongs with Greg.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I believe you are right, actually. Maybe he does need Irene. Now that i think about it, a challenge for him would be perfect. She's the only one who can match wits with him. Now, I'm not usually this fickle, but I think now that I've remembered what John is like towards Sherlock, I agree with you, Carol.

23 minutes ago, besleybean said:

Don't think we'll ever see them together, either.

May the Moftisses see your post, Bev, and take it as a challenge!  :D

Irene may challenge Sherlock but he could never really trust her. She did nothing but manipulate, lie to and belittle him until he unlocked her phone and she lost her leverage. Then she turned on the tears and played the poor me card. 

And don't forget Molly has struck Sherlock, repeatedly, and called him on his crap more than once. She was also the one he conjured up when he was shot to help him save his life.

But I have to agree that it will never happen, with either one.

• Like 4

Resident "Sherlolly" and Molly stan reporting for duty.  😜

I really like Irene as a character, but when it comes down to the two of them, I'm Team Molly all the way.  Molly just feels like a more real and relatable character to me.  As far as ending up with Sherlock, I think it's pretty unlikely we'll ever see Sherlock with anyone, but if they did go there, I'd have to agree with Benedict that it would have to be Molly.  While I definitely think Sherlock is attracted to Irene and finds her interesting and exciting, there's an undercurrent of danger to Irene (similar to Sherlock, I think they have a lot of similarities), and I feel like any relationship between them would probably be mutually destructive and undo a lot of the character development we see in Sherlock over four seasons.  That whole great man, good man thing.

I disagree that Molly is too timid to call Sherlock on his BS.  I thought the show did a pretty good job of showing that Molly always saw Sherlock for what he was and was never afraid to call him on it.  This started in season 2 with the very cringey holiday party mess.  This gets reinforced across multiple seasons,  from the slaps some people despise to John Watson himself saying in Season 4 that Molly was the one person who was able to see through Sherlock's bullshit. 

It's likely just my own biased opinion as a shipper, but I thought it was interesting the speech John made to Sherlock at the end of TLD, presumably about Irene (for John), but for me that speech wasn't about Irene at all.  Especially in the context of the very next episode with Sherlock thinking he's about to lose Molly, the "I Love You," and then the subsequent coffin destruction.

• Like 3

Sitty!  It's good to see your shining face again!  :D

7 hours ago, sittything said:

I thought it was interesting the speech John made to Sherlock at the end of TLD, presumably about Irene (for John), but for me that speech wasn't about Irene at all.  Especially in the context of the very next episode with Sherlock thinking he's about to lose Molly, the "I Love You," and then the subsequent coffin destruction.

Ooh, never thought of that interpretation.  John does have a habit of going for the obvious, I think (which is often helpful, because Sherlock doesn't).  Yeah, he could just as well be talking about Molly.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I always rooted for Molly to get whatever would make her happy (i.e., Sherlock) but I also believe he wouldn't actually make her happy, unless he changed a lot. Which wouldn't hurt my feelings any if he did change, but I can't see it happening. If nothing else, the fandom would get nasty about it. :rolleyes: 

I also get the impression that Moffat believes Irene is the "official" love interest, so there's that.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I always rooted for Molly to get whatever would make her happy (i.e., Sherlock) but I also believe he wouldn't actually make her happy, unless he changed a lot. Which wouldn't hurt my feelings any if he did change, but I can't see it happening.

... and if he did change, then he wouldn't be the Sherlock that she fell in love with (or got the crush on, or whatever).

Like one song that drives me nuts, "Cherish," which basically says "I love you so much that I wish you would change."

1 minute ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

... and if he did change, then he wouldn't be the Sherlock that she fell in love with (or got the crush on, or whatever).

I was thinking more he'd have to learn not to rip her apart with words, and I can't see her minding that change. But you're probably right.

6 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Like one song that drives me nuts, "Cherish," which basically says "I love you so much that I wish you would change."

Hey, watch it, that's one of my favorite songs. :P

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Hey, watch it, that's one of my favorite songs.

You're not the only person I know who seems perfectly normal except for liking "Cherish."  I can understand someone liking it if they didn't understand English.  But seriously, how do you deal with the logical contradiction?

• Haha 1

Because the contradiction is in perfect harmony? :P 

Seriously ... I just see it as the guy saying he wishes there were a way to make her love him as much as he loves her. Not to change her, but to get her to believe he's The One. Or something like that, I have to admit I don't generally pay a huge amount of attention to lyrics.

For everyone who, like me, thought of Kool and the Gang, got mightily confused, then remembered that Madonna song and realized that didn't work either in this context, there's yet another song called Cherish:

https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/the-association/cherish

Egad. For all I know The Dabbler may have been referring to one of the other two, I've never heard of either of them. Considering who performs them, I hope I never do. :P 

Sorry, Arcadia, I was indeed thinking of The Association.

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I don't generally pay a huge amount of attention to lyrics.

OK, so you're like Alex -- he mentions some song that he likes, and I say what's it about, and he says he has no idea, he just likes the way it sounds.  I'm like that about some songs (best example: the Japanese song that was released here with the ridiculously inappropriate title "Sukiyaki" -- I could tell it was sad, that's all), but if they're in a language I understand at all, the words are very important to my assessment.  (My advice:  Don't EVER listen to a sung -- rather than instrumental -- version of "Love Is Blue.")

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I just see it as the guy saying he wishes there were a way to make her love him as much as he loves her. Not to change her, but to get her to believe he's The One.

Just as well that you don't pay much attention to the lyrics (here they are, with an audio clip as well), in that case.  I kinda choke on the lines "You don't know how many times I've wished that I could mold you Into someone who could cherish me as much as I cherish you."