How to make the forum more popular

• 5 months later...

Yup, that'd do it for sure!

Maybe we should change the name of this thread to "How to get another season produced."

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SherlockandKey said:

I can only think of angry chain letters and Penny cartoons I'm afraid.

Chain letters, I've heard of.  But I didn't know what Penny cartoons were till I looked them up just now -- according to this article, "Subversive animation began with Pee-Wee's 'Penny Cartoons'."  So -- a very simple, easy-to-create style of animation.  Heaven knows Sherlock fans have tried just about everything else!  (They may even have tried Penny cartoons.)

Frankly, I suspect the only thing that's likely to get another series of Sherlock filmed is either the Moftisses get bored with what they've been doing in the interim and/or they come up with an irresistible new plot.  I suspect it'll be a few years yet.

On 6/21/2021 at 7:47 AM, SherlockandKey said:

The absolute best way I can think of is to produce another season.

But... but... no shit, Sherlock??? :D

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 6:32 PM, SherlockandKey said:

If it was that obvious, then the thread shouldn't have been made at all, no?

It's pretty obvious that some new episodes would be the BEST way to increase forum activity, but surely that's not the ONLY way to do it.  After all, it's not like we want a million posts a day -- who'd have time to read that many?!

So we remain open to ideas.  And we definitely remain open to new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We don't just discuss the BBC show called Sherlock, though.  We definitely enjoy doing that, but we also enjoy discussing other things, including the original Sherlock Holmes stories, and puzzling things that we've seen, and so forth.

Also, I suspect that a lot of new members read things here that interest them, but then notice that the thread hasn't been posted in lately, and assume they're not allowed to reply to it.  I can understand why they'd think that, because I've been severely chastised for replying to old threads other forums.  Come to think of it, maybe one thing that would help would be to let new members know we're not like that.  I'll see what I can do.

• Thanks 2

On 7/14/2021 at 8:05 PM, SherlockandKey said:

I think there's an unhealthy aversion to "necrobumping" on forums.

Good heavens -- if that's what they call it, no wonder they're against it!!!    :blink:

I prefer to think of those threads as Golden Oldies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2021 at 8:05 AM, SherlockandKey said:

I agree. I think there's an unhealthy aversion to "necrobumping" on forums.

But to be frank, we'd be dead and remain buried if we are not necrobumped :D

• Haha 1

Again, we're all for that. :thumbsup: We were just wondering why other places were so much against thread necromancy.

4 hours ago, SherlockandKey said:

I say if the thread is not locked, then there is still discussion to be had.

What about the people that weren't around when the thread was initially posted?

Hear, hear!   :applause:

1 hour ago, Caya said:

We were just wondering why other places were so much against thread necromancy.

Maybe they don't want people posting on old threads because it isn't tidy?   :P   Or because it's AGAINST THE RULES!!!!?

In any case, you'd think they'd warn you when you join.  Oh, wait a minute -- maybe I didn't exactly read the rules?   :blush:    (There are only so many times that I can read the same blinking "be nice" rules before I go nuts.  So if a forum I joined recently happened to sneak in something different, I wouldn't have noticed.)

Merely saying that you don't have to convince us to bring new life into old threads, we're all for it. :applause:

Right!   :thumbsup:

The staff of this forum is all in favor of letting people post on any threads they want to (other than a very few that may have been locked for various unusual reasons).  And we don't understand why the staffs of some other forums will scold members who post in threads that haven't been posted in recently and/or will lock such threads.

We're looking into ways of letting people know that the latter is NOT our policy -- because we suspect that some new members needlessly hesitate to post in old threads on this forum, for fear of being chastised.

On 7/23/2021 at 3:47 AM, SherlockandKey said:

I say if the thread is not locked, then there is still discussion to be had.

What about the people that weren't around when the thread was initially posted?

There, mostly, but again, we're all in agreement anyway, so there. :smile:

2 hours ago, SherlockandKey said:

What the rhetorical question?

If you're saying that your previous question ("What about the people...?") was merely rhetorical, I think we understand that now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/8/2021 at 11:12 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

We don't just discuss the BBC show called Sherlock, though.  We definitely enjoy doing that, but we also enjoy discussing other things, including the original Sherlock Holmes stories, and puzzling things that we've seen, and so forth.

If I may, a bit of resurrecting on this aging thread... 
I'm a member of a Scion society that's been going on for 43 years now, meeting monthly, discussing all things Sherlock, with a particular focus on the Canon. 

I've seen, I do believe, some folks here who acknowledge they are not all that familiar with the original Doylean stories of the Canon...but know Sherlock mostly from shows and movies. 

If one is not averse, since my club addresses a Canonical story each month and discusses it at our meetings, I'd be happy to toss up a few thoughts on the Story of the month and invite thoughts. 

In fact, if the Forum wished, someone could 'announce the story of the month' and the Forum participants could read/study it and bring their own thoughts on the story... dissect the events... discuss the characters... review the validity of Sherlocks supposed 'deductions'... throughout that month.

The various characters in the stories who represent actual figures in British history could be discussed.  The events depicted that actually tackle social issues of the times that were being addressed could be reviewed. 

The stories could be taken in "publication order", or alternatively in "chronological order" to see the maturing relationship of Holmes and Watson as the stories progress.   

Eventually Forum members would come to know the Canonical stories fairly well, if they were made a focus of interest for a time. 

There is also much written external to the Canon about the Canonical stories for review and discussion. 

I don't think there's a shortage of interest in Sherlock.  Perhaps just a shortage of direction?

Then again I don't know (yet) how much discussion has already been done on the original stories or from what angle.  But if The Sound of the Baskervilles can continue to tackle them for 43 years with keen interest, and Sherlockians worldwide can continue to write about them, there must be something to them. 

I'll shut up now.