Jump to content
SherLOCKED123

How to make the forum more popular

Recommended Posts

So I noticed a lot of the threads are dying out and there are usually not many people on the forum. So here we can brainstorm ideas to restart threads, recruit members and make Sherlock popular again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be hard, considering the lack of new episodes in the foreseeable future (or ever). 

Also, I recognize I may be in the minority here, but I kinda like it small and cozy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are certainly not in the minority. I like it small and cozy too, but its hard when nobody is online to reply or react, and by the time they do, you have sort of lost interest. I would love to make it more popular with current users, instead of recruiting more, but sometimes thats the only option...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the forum will gain popularity unless the show sees a resurgence.

I try to keep some of the general chat threads alive by posting pictures and such when I have time.  But as far as the Sherlock-related threads, there isn't a lot that hasn't already been discussed at length by the members who still visit, and most of them don't seem to have any desire to revisit the show at this point in time.  So I think it will be difficult to get people involved in those conversations again.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

You are certainly not in the minority. I like it small and cozy too


Me three!  But "small" is a relative term.  Some of our regulars are tied up with real-life situations right now, so things were sometimes just a bit *too* cozy until this recent batch of new members came along.  And I must say, you folks are very welcome!

9 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

its hard when nobody is online to reply or react

Even when things were really humming with discussion of a new series, this forum has rarely had more than a few people on at a time, largely because members are spread across so many time zones.  (We tried having a chat room, but no one ever knew when anyone else might be in there, and it was finally closed.)  I find it useful to think of the forum as more like email:  I go online, read the new posts, and respond -- then next time I go on, there may be responses to what I posted before.

9 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

I would love to make it more popular with current users

Right now we're in kind of a lull as regards several of the usual regulars.  For example, one is moving to a new place, one is a health-care worker busy with the current epidemic, and one is on the road a lot these days. I would expect them to be back sooner or later.  In the meantime, we can all make a point of actually posting the things that we think of posting -- they don't necessarily have to be Sherlock related.  Just as an example, if you see a person doing something peculiar, you could post it and we could try to figure out why they might have been doing that (which really is Sherlock related, in a way).

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

as far as the Sherlock-related threads, there isn't a lot that hasn't already been discussed at length by the members who still visit, and most of them don't seem to have any desire to revisit the show at this point in time.

There's some truth in that, but that's where new members can really help.  As I recall, most of the recent joiners have watched the show recently, so they presumably have questions, comments, etc., which can be posted on the appropriate episode's thread, or in one of the general Sherlock discussion threads, or in a new thread.  In fact, there has already been some activity of that sort, such as the recent discussion of Eurus in the "Lying Detective" thread.

And even if some of us aren't quite ready for a rewatch at the moment, any of us could take a peek at some of the older Sherlock-related threads.  Surely something will spark a question or a comment that we can post (along with a quote of the original post. of course).

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

There's some truth in that, but that's where new members can really help.

Certainly.  :smile:  I'm not opposed to new members, by any means (I was new not so long ago).  It's been a bit too quiet here lately.  I was just saying that I think interest in the show has waned significantly, both with older members and with the general population, so I hope newer members won't be too disappointed if they encounter that on the forum.  Even if we get a few members who are new to the show, discussions probably aren't going to be as active as they were when the show was still running new episodes.  It's sad to think about, but most people have moved on.

18 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I find it useful to think of the forum as more like email:  I go online, read the new posts, and respond -- then next time I go on, there may be responses to what I posted before.

That's a good way of looking at it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Even if we get a few members who are new to the show, discussions probably aren't going to be as active as they were when the show was still running new episodes.


Mercifully!!!  Those days were just a tad *too* active for my taste.  I enjoy being able to pay real attention to each new post and respond to a significant percentage of them -- and that simply wasn't possible when there were so many new posts per day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Mercifully!!!  Those days were just a tad *too* active for my taste.  I enjoy being able to pay real attention to each new post and respond to a significant percentage of them -- and that simply wasn't possible when there were so many new posts per day.

Lol, good point!  I do like being able to keep up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.