The Language (and travel) Thread

Carol the Dabbler

Or -- they take off the shoe that looks like a foot -- to reveal that their real foot looks like a shoe!  :P

• Like 1

Imgur strikes again I guess. Can't see Arcadia's reaction but I further deduce it must be some sort of gratitude and curiosity to know more about feetshoe. :angel:

No worries I'm here to the rescue!!

images-22.jpg

As for relevance to the threat, I'm using further correctly instead of farther, just like Billy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Imgur strikes again I guess. Can't see Arcadia's reaction but I furthee deduce it must be some sort of gratitude and curiosity to know more about feetshoe. :angel:

Oh, absolutely.

NOT. :axe:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There!

How are you?

I am in Canada, Toronto. We came for my son's school also I am learning English. Canadian people are very kindness, nice...

and I miss you! :)
I made friends came from a lot of country.

Canadian English looks like American English. 

Canada is very cold. My country is getting exhausted from heat. 

see you soon my friends. 💕

• Like 2

Hi There!

How are you?

I am in Canada, Toronto. We came for my son's school also I am learning English. Canadian people are very kindness, nice...
and I miss you!
I made friends came from a lot of country.

Canadian English looks like American English. 
Canada is very cold. My country is getting exhausted from heat. 
see you soon my friends. 

Have fun visiting north of the border. As for Canadian English vs American English. There are a few words different (either whole terms or pronunciations) and they are more likely to drop the word ‘eh’ in a sentence than most Americans (even though parts of the US add that term randomly as well). I find Canadian English more closely resembles British English.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

Have fun visiting north of the border. As for Canadian English vs American English. There are a few words different (either whole terms or pronunciations) and they are more likely to drop the word ‘eh’ in a sentence than most Americans (even though parts of the US add that term randomly as well). I find Canadian English more closely resembles British English.

Thank you. You are right. They drop the worth 'eh' in a sentence. It is hard to understand British English's pronunciations. 

I love Ben's speech but I don't still understand. His voice comes from look like lullaby. 

• Like 1

The accent is closer to the US (upper Midwest and out towards the West along the border) with more British terms and pronunciation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

The accent is closer to the US (upper Midwest and out towards the West along the border) with more British terms and pronunciation.

I see now. You are right. It is smilar British English. 

Canadians use British spelling (such as "colour"), and some British words (for example, they refer to the last letter of the alphabet as "zed," whereas we call it "zee").  And they talk with a nice lilt.  But other than a few things like the aforementioned "eh?" and their unique pronunciation of "ou" in words like "out" (which is similar to Scottish), I think their spoken English is generally closer to the US version than to the British.

• Like 1

Hey, Doe, what do you think of Toronto?  I used to live on the other side of Lake Ontario, in Rochester, New York, and we used to visit Toronto every now and then.  I liked it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hey, Doe, what do you think of Toronto?  I used to live on the other side of Lake Ontario, in Rochester, New York, and we used to visit Toronto every now and then.  I liked it!

Toronto is good city. Everything is new. Houses, jobs, ways... All of them. 

People are very nice like you. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

With you in Toronto, we're in the same time zone now. :D How long will you be there?

Yaaa, It's true. 😄 I don't know Carol. My first work is to complete my son's edication. and then We will decide.

Canadians use "centre" I knew "center"

Is centre Bristish?

Yup, "centre" is the British spelling.  Also "theatre."

I guess I should have asked:  How long do you expect your son to be in school there?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yup, "centre" is the British spelling.  Also "theatre."

I guess I should have asked:  How long do you expect your son to be in school there?

I understand you but I don't know. I guess, He's school will be clear around end of November. 

I hope you come here Carol. I would really like to meet you. 💕

I'll probably spend a week or two in Rochester next fall (October 2019), and could easily take a day trip to Toronto then.  So I hope you're still there!

• Confused 1

On 9/12/2018 at 1:34 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'll probably spend a week or two in Rochester next fall (October 2019), and could easily take a day trip to Toronto then.  So I hope you're still there!

What a long plan! Not according to me. Are you sure you aren't German?  :)

I hope I'll be there.  :)

• Like 1

I may be part German, but next year's trip is in celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary -- plus I'm not available to travel right now.

I'd really enjoy meeting you.  So let's stay in touch, OK?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I may be part German, but next year's trip is in celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary -- plus I'm not available to travel right now.

I'd really enjoy meeting you.  So let's stay in touch, OK?

I already congratulate you. Yes, of course. :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

And that's why there are dialect coaches!   Even though I'm fascinated by accents,  most of the goofs that guy mentions would have slipped right past me.  That's why he's a real pro and I'm a mere dabbler. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...