Why in heaven's name would they DO that?!

15 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

But since you never provide any picture (tsk!) my guest is the spy thing. Although he is not very good at his job obviously.

I couldn't take a picture because I didn't want to blow my cover.  I think you may be onto something, though.  The secret book must have been printed on extra-delicate paper that would burn instantly, because I saw no trace of it in the fire.

Oh, wait a minute -- I forgot to mention that the picnic area was right next to a river.  Maybe the book was printed on rice paper?  So all he had to do was toss it into the river, and it dissolved immediately!

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Oh, wait a minute -- I forgot to mention that the picnic area was right next to a river.  Maybe the book was printed on rice paper?  So all he had to do was toss it into the river, and it dissolved immediately!

No,, not fast enough. Don't forget the two suspicious strangers in proximity. They could fish it out and eat it themselves after decoding it. Too dangerous and why feed the enemies.

Meanwhile, why in heaven's name do they do this??? Everytime I thought probability  of me having Ocd is baseless opinion..

20beb6527092c7ab41153ab81e.jpg

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Don't forget the two suspicious strangers in proximity. They could fish it out and eat it themselves after decoding it.

Actually, we had wandered off to the other end of the park, and he would generally have been able to see us over there.  So he could have picked a moment when our backs were turned.  If I'd been in his situation, I would have used a fish net to gently lower the book into the stream, thus avoiding any splash noise that might have alerted us to his actions.

And come to think of it, I actually did NOT hear a splash, which proves he was smart enough to use a net!

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

... why in heaven's name do they do this???

Oh, good one!  I believe that They call it "modernizing" or "remodeling."  But The Old House Journal (magazine for old-house buffs) calls it "remuddling."

As for why the new windows were not centered in the old locations, I'm guessing it was in order to look good from the inside.  And I will grudgingly concede that if it's their house, they can do whatever works for them.  But I don't have to like it (especially if that's the view from my window!).

VBS, it might be something similar to what happened to Diocletians Palace in Split.
https://www.daytripsfromsplit.com/split-attractions/diocletians-palace-old-town-of-split/
The plaque is in Russian but I cannot decript it, it's "??? of Russia", so it might be some historical building that was taken down except for the facade, and someone went a bit too creative with it. It's also what most probably happens to Bart's in London.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.P. said:

VBS, it might be something similar to what happened to Diocletians Palace in Split.
https://www.daytripsfromsplit.com/split-attractions/diocletians-palace-old-town-of-split/

According to Wikipedia, the palace was built around 300 AD as the retirement home of the Emperor Diocletian, but it wasn't simply an impressive villa, it was a huge complex which also housed a military garrison.  Over the intervening centuries, as roofs (always a weak point) and interior walls have failed, they've been removed, and the town has expanded into the resulting large open areas inside the former palace.  Pretty cool!

6 hours ago, J.P. said:

It's also what most probably happens to Bart's in London.

Have you seen any updates on that project?  It was my impression that, yes, the south and west facades are all that will be left of that original building.  From the outside it should look pretty much the same as always, but everything inside the wall will be new.  But as I understand it, it'll still function as one largish building, rather than as a smaller building inside a courtyard formed by demolition of the original interior.  And it'll still be a hospital, albeit under new management.  OK, according to Wikipedia, that project is expected to be finished sometime this coming year.

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Over the intervening centuries, as roofs (always a weak point) and interior walls have failed, they've been removed, and the town has expanded into the resulting large open areas inside the former palace.  Pretty cool!

I was there. It's a really strange place, the newer parts growing out of the old walls.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 4:37 AM, J.P. said:

The plaque is in Russian but I cannot decript it, it's "??? of Russia", so it might be some historical building that was taken down except for the facade, and someone went a bit too creative with it. It's also what most probably happens to Bart's in London.

I'm not the one who is really into architectural tour, but this looks gorgeous.