Carol the Dabbler

Why in heaven's name would they DO that?!

I'm surely not the only one who occasionally notices people doing things that seem to make no sense whatsoever.  But they must make sense to the person doing them -- or they wouldn't do them.  This usually prompts me to think of possible reasons, which is a good brain exercise if nothing else.  And who knows, it may eventually turn me into the world's second-best consulting detective.

So I'm thinking we can share our "why would the do that?" puzzles, so everyone can post their best guesses.

As we drove past a neighbor's house today, I noticed what I took to be some insulated beverage dispensers in the yard, like this one:

312DKg96O8L._AC_.jpg

Of course those are fairly popular items this time of year in Indiana -- but there were about a dozen of them!  They were sitting near the driveway, divided into two clusters a few feet apart, with about half a dozen in each.

I am not going to post my best guesses for two reasons:  1] I want to give y'all a chance to cogitate first, and 2] I haven't the foggiest.

On 7/25/2020 at 11:19 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

As we drove past a neighbor's house today, I noticed what I took to be some insulated beverage dispensers in the yard, like this one:

312DKg96O8L._AC_.jpg

Of course those are fairly popular items this time of year in Indiana -- but there were about a dozen of them!  They were sitting near the driveway, divided into two clusters a few feet apart, with about half a dozen in each.

I am not going to post my best guesses for two reasons:  1] I want to give y'all a chance to cogitate first, and 2] I haven't the foggiest.

They were social distancing?  LOL

• Like 1
  • Tongue 1

OK, maybe we'll have better luck with this one:

The past couple of times we've driven past an old theater (now used for special events), there's been a huge curtain hung from the side of the building.  It's about two stories high, nearly reaching the ground, and is at least as wide as it is tall.  I didn't immediately realize it was a curtain, till I saw that it was rippling in the breeze.  I'm not sure whether it's woven fabric or heavy plastic, but it has an overall print design of some sort.

Any ideas?

Are they renovating the façade? Mesh "curtains" are used to cover the scaffoldings and keep the dust from flying around.

• Thanks 1

They have these kind of printed covers and/or fences in Disneyworld when they're renovating or building a new attraction, to better fit in with the rest of the environment till it's finished (looking like a typical construction site would kinda hurt the immersion admittedly). Maybe there's a similar reason behind this?

• Thanks 1

Thanks, guys.  Yeah, it's probably something along those lines.

But it's not mesh, so presumably not for stopping dust.  It's hanging right on the exterior of the building itself, so presumably not to block our view of repairs or whatever.  And it's on the side of the building, which I assume used to have another building right up against it, because I don't recall there being any windows or other architectural features that might need renovating.

I'm trying to recall what that wall looked like before.  It must be made of brick, because the whole building is.  I'm thinking there may have been a mural painted on that wall.  It'd certainly be a good place for one, being so highly visible.  So maybe they're covering up the mural for some reason?  Maybe someone defaced the mural so they're hiding it till it can be repaired?

I Googled the theater and selected the News tab, but the most recent items are about the building being named a state landmark and about its precarious status otherwise.  Nothing about any repairs, etc.

I would love to take a peek under that curtain, but there's a lot of traffic on that street, so you can't just pull over and park.

Well, all of us were wrong!  I finally thought to Google for photos of the theater, which lead me to an article that explains the curtain serves no physical purpose whatsoever.  It symbolizes the community's resolve to see the theater repaired and refurbished, so that it can once more be used. ( I wasn't aware that the fire department had declared it unsafe a while back.)  And it's a curtain because well, you know, the building is a theater and theaters have big curtains.

Here's a sample closeup of the design:

TONh4XO.jpg?2

Each of those little shapes is meant to represent a certain segment of the community (but they didn't mention which one symbolizes what).

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2020 at 11:19 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

They were sitting near the driveway, divided into two clusters a few feet apart, with about half a dozen in each.

Tsk.. tsk Carol, I'm disappointed in you!

Look around and you should see Sherlock and Jeff Hope hangling about which one to choose.

On 8/13/2020 at 1:45 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Here's a sample closeup of the design:

TONh4XO.jpg?2

Each of those little shapes is meant to represent a certain segment of the community (but they didn't mention which one symbolizes what).

I like the design!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Tsk.. tsk Carol, I'm disappointed in you!

Look around and you should see Sherlock and Jeff Hope hangling about which one to choose.

Silly me!   :facepalm:

15 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I like the design!

I know where you can get nearly 20 x 30 meters of it in a few years.

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2020 at 11:19 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

312DKg96O8L._AC_.jpg

Family reunion or other big celebration? 

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Family reunion or other big celebration? 

Maybe, though their big gatherings never seem to involve nearly enough people to require a dozen dispensers, presumably holding at least 5 gallons apiece.  I would assume that no one person would drink more than a gallon in a day, absolute max, so that'd be enough for at least 60 people, probably more like a couple hundred.  I can't think that I've ever seen more than a dozen cars in their driveway, even counting the four or five vehicles that "live" there.

I suppose they might have volunteered to supply the beverages for a big gathering elsewhere, say at a park.  That might explain why the containers were sitting out in the sun, grouped by the driveway,.  This was July, so such a gathering could have been legal.