Remember me?

Hi all, it’s been a while. I hope that everyone is well?

Without going deeply into a tale of woe and anguish I haven't  posted for ages because I had a burglary and my iPad, phone and some other stuff was stolen; a family member was seriously ill ( on the mend now I think) and then a house fire. I must have done something in a previous life!

The good news is that I’ll be getting my iPad and phone back soon (although the phone is damaged) I’m using another phone. I’d have logged in a couple of weeks ago but I just couldn’t recall my password until I realised it was the same one I used elsewhere. 

It will take me a while to look around and catch up but I hope that everyone is happy and well?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A warm welcome back from your Hiatus, Herl.  

How was Lhasa?

Like Dr. Watson, I thought you might have left us for good.  I did almost faint dead away when I got your View Halloa.

Do the cops have your iPad?  

Hoping that things look up soon . . . So glad you are back!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hikari said:

A warm welcome back from your Hiatus, Herl.  

How was Lhasa?

Like Dr. Watson, I thought you might have left us for good.  I did almost faint dead away when I got your View Halloa.

Do the cops have your iPad?  

Hoping that things look up soon . . . So glad you are back!

Hi Hikari, 

Yes they do but I’m expecting it back anytime (whenever that is) 

Thanks for the welcome back. I got bored with researching the coal tar derivatives! Mrs Hudson nearly had a heart attack though

Herlock!!!  I'm sorry to hear you and your family have had some serious problems, but very happy that you're back!

We've had several newcomers asking Holmes questions that we couldn't answer (so I'm even happier that you're back).

I'm looking forward to the resumption of your comments.

• Like 1

Hi Herlock! I've been more or less missing myself and just assumed you were still here. Sorry to hear your reasons for going AWOL, but glad you're back.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Herlock!!!  I'm sorry to hear you and your family have had some serious problems, but very happy that you're back!

We've had several newcomers asking Holmes questions that we couldn't answer (so I'm even happier that you're back).

I'm looking forward to the resumption of your comments.

Hi Carol, Arcadia and Artemis,

Thanks for the kind comments. It’s good to be back and I hope that you’re all well?

I just hate typing and posting using a phone though (because I’m not 14)

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I just hate typing and posting using a phone though (because I’m not 14)

Oh, goodness, I agree!  There was a spell a couple years back when it happened to be more convenient than using my laptop, but that situation no longer exists.  And even though I have my text size set on (so-called) "huge" I swear it keeps getting smaller!

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I hope that you’re all well?

All's well in the Dabbler household.  How about yours?

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Oh, goodness, I agree!  There was a spell a couple years back when it happened to be more convenient than using my laptop, but that situation no longer exists.  And even though I have my text size set on (so-called) "huge" I swear it keeps getting smaller!

All's well in the Dabbler household.  How about yours?

Things are getting back to ‘normality’ Carol. Sorry about the slow response I’m in and out a lot at the moment.

Im going to have a look around the Forum more over the next few days to see if anyone desperately needs to know who played Mrs Hudson in some old movie. Which reminds me of another piece of bad luck I had a few months ago. Any more of these sob stories and I’ll be starting my own charity.🙂

• Sad 1

Phones are too small for reading and posting online, personally.  I won't use anything smaller than a tablet, and even that's small for my taste.  If I have anything to say, I just wait 'til I'm around a computer.

2 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Any more of these sob stories and I’ll be starting my own charity.

Don't hold back (if you don't want to)!  I've posted plenty of my own, lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Artemis said:

Phones are too small for reading and posting online, personally.  I won't use anything smaller than a tablet, and even that's small for my taste.  If I have anything to say, I just wait 'til I'm around a computer.

With me, it basically depends on how desperate I am.  And as the years go by, it's requiring a higher level of desperation.

13 hours ago, Artemis said:

Don't hold back (if you don't want to)!  I've posted plenty of my own, lol.

I’d have the whole Forum needing therapy Artemis.

So as a Monty Python fan it’s a case of “always look on the bright side of life.”😀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

So as a Monty Python fan it’s a case of “always look on the bright side of life.”😀

Might as well!   :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 6:45 PM, Artemis said:

Amen. It drives me crazy when people try to do EVERYTHING on their phone when the laptop's SOOOOOO much more efficient, just because the laptop's on the other side of the room. Get up and walk, people!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

It drives me crazy when people try to do EVERYTHING on their phone when the laptop's SOOOOOO much more efficient, just because the laptop's on the other side of the room. Get up and walk, people!

In general I agree.  Of course there are times when that isn't practical.  For example, I've been in situations where I desperately needed to rest but didn't want to fall asleep.  So I'd lie down and use my phone -- check the forum, check email, look up stuff.  Couldn't do that with a laptop (and I didn't have a tablet at the time).  It was a big help in dealing with a stressful situation.

And maybe some people are simply more comfortable using their phone.  Whatever works for them is fine with me.

HOWEVER if some perfectly ambulatory person is sitting on the couch doing computer-type stuff on their phone, all the while complaining that it's so much more awkward than it would be on their laptop, which is, as you say, on the other side of the room -- then I'm with you all the way!

• Like 1