Blank boxes

HerlockSholmes

Just a quick question. Looking back over a few threads I’ve noticed that some of the white response boxes are blank. It says the name of the responder but there’s no response there. It’s not a big issue but does anyone know why this has happened.

It seems a waste of space to start a thread just to ask a question but I didn’t know where to post it. Perhaps a pm to a Mod might have been better?

You did precisely the right thing, Herlock.  This question obviously belongs here in the Help & Assistance section.  And other people are bound to have the same question, so it's best to post it where all can see the answer, or at least the best answer I can currently give.

In response to your actual question, I have no idea why this is happening, other than it seems to have something to do with the new (as of a couple years ago) software.  I don't recall this ever happening before that.

But I believe I can help, at least in some cases, though I'm not certain exactly which problem you're talking about.  In the case of quote boxes and spoiler boxes, there actually is text, it's merely invisible.  You can make it visible by highlighting it as though you intended to copy it.  This problem may be inherent to the dark theme, so you might be able to fix it by switching to the light theme.  If you're talking about the post box itself, though, I'm not sure highlighting helps (I haven't seen that case very often).  In any case, if you can link to one or more examples, I'll be glad to play with them.  Also, please let me know which theme you're using, and what sort of device you're currently on.  Thanks!

• Thanks 2

On 9/23/2020 at 4:58 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

You did precisely the right thing, Herlock.  This question obviously belongs here in the Help & Assistance section.  And other people are bound to have the same question, so it's best to post it where all can see the answer, or at least the best answer I can currently give.

In response to your actual question, I have no idea why this is happening, other than it seems to have something to do with the new (as of a couple years ago) software.  I don't recall this ever happening before that.

But I believe I can help, at least in some cases, though I'm not certain exactly which problem you're talking about.  In the case of quote boxes and spoiler boxes, there actually is text, it's merely invisible.  You can make it visible by highlighting it as though you intended to copy it.  This problem may be inherent to the dark theme, so you might be able to fix it by switching to the light theme.  If you're talking about the post box itself, though, I'm not sure highlighting helps (I haven't seen that case very often).  In any case, if you can link to one or more examples, I'll be glad to play with them.  Also, please let me know which theme you're using, and what sort of device you're currently on.  Thanks!

Thanks Carol, I’ve just gone back to a few blank white quote boxes and the text won’t appear but in the top right hand corner of the boxes is a curved arrow pointing to the right. Touching on it takes me to the original quote (which is usually on the same page of the thread of course)

2 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Thanks Carol, I’ve just gone back to a few blank white quote boxes and the text won’t appear but in the top right hand corner of the boxes is a curved arrow pointing to the right. Touching on it takes me to the original quote (which is usually on the same page of the thread of course)

Yes, that'll work!  I'm curious about this, though -- could you either post links to a few of those or else post the name of the thread, the person who was posting, and the time and date of the post (from which I'll subtract five hours in order to match what I see)?  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Sorry I’m late replying Carol.

If you go onto the Jeremy Brett thread on Other Versions then go to a post that I made on Sept 21st (there’s no time) in response to you. My post begins “I was on the Thames...” Your quote is blank as is the quote from Arcadia next post. Then there’s a post by you but the quote from Sherlockogy is blank. If you go onto page 4 of 19 all of the quote boxes within responses are blank. My initial impression (though I haven’t checked in depth) is that it might only be in posts further back in time?

I don’t know if this helps in any way?

5 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

My initial impression (though I haven’t checked in depth) is that it might only be in posts further back in time?

Yes, that's my impression as well -- presumably having something to do with the switch to new forum software a couple of years ago.

9 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

My post begins “I was on the Thames...” Your quote is blank as is the quote from Arcadia next post. Then there’s a post by you but the quote from Sherlockogy is blank. If you go onto page 4 of 19 all of the quote boxes within responses are blank.

OK, you're talking about this post and the following.  If you're using the Dark theme, they do indeed come up with what appear to be empty quote boxes.  However they're not actually empty -- there's text, but it's white on white.

On 9/25/2020 at 2:54 PM, HerlockSholmes said:

I’ve just gone back to a few blank white quote boxes and the text won’t appear

This was in response to my suggestion that you try selecting (highlighting) the invisible text and see if that makes it visible -- so I'm guessing you tried that, and your comment that "the text won't appear" means it didn't work?

I've tried selecting (highlighting) the invisible text in the posts you mentioned, using the Dark theme, and it becomes visible on my laptop, my tablet (a Kindle Fire), and my phone (an Android).  Of course that doesn't mean that it works on other devices in the same general category.

The good news is that the problem does not exist on the Light theme (so I am hereby officially declaring it a bug in the Dark theme).  So you might see what you think of the Light theme.  Scroll down to the bottom of any forum page and you'll see the Facebook and Twitter logos (actually links to the forum's accounts on those sites).  Just below those, there's a row of words, the first of which is Theme.  With the Dark theme selected, these words can be hard to see, but if you click on the leftmost blurry word, that should be it.  That'll bring up a menu of themes (only two at present) -- click on Light and give it a try.

• Thanks 1