Joalro

"I.O.U." Theories

Okay, going to definitely have to concentrate harder next time I watch!

All fine and dandy as theory, but, Littlefoot could you edit your posts to "role playing" because it is really unnerving to see such brilliant work and be thrown off by a recurrent mistake, bitte sehr!

• Like 1

Arcadia, I think it's definitely worth to rewatch all episodes. I found so many things I had overlooked the first few times. You discover it with an open mind. If you look just with your own pet theory in mind you won't find new things. The script writers clearly knew what they were doing. Even if I don't support all their plot choices from an artistic point of view and find it deplorable that they didn't come up with the real explanation of what was going on in RF (a 4 year wait is just too long for the casual fan and the momentum is gone somehow), they have their plot mapped out carefully. Most story lines and scenes are there for a reason. We aren't done with RF at all. If this Cinderella theory holds up and we get indeed another Holmes sibling, then something from RF has jumped straight into season 4.

And we aren't done with the fall either. I don't care if one or the other of the evil Mofftiss duo said that Lazarus is the true solution. They also said some time ago they would lie boldly to us if necessary. And they were kind of good cop/bad cop about it half the time. Moffat would say, Lazarus is true and we won't get another solution, Gatiss would say, 'well it's a plausible solution (sorry Mark, but it isn't) but Sherlock might be lying his ass off'.

The most glaring inconsistency of the Lazarus solution amongst many others is Sherlock's statement that they had accounted for every eventuality but one: Moriarty's death wish. IMO that is a dead giveaway. Moriarty's death is the most important eventuality, since it's absolutely necessary for the Lazarus theory to work even marginally. But Sherlock says they hadn't planned for this? How exactly did Sherlock plan to sneak the Big Blue Pillow past a living and kicking Moriarty? Wouldn't he take a look and check if Sherlock has planted some kind of fall breaking device in front of the hospital? To make things even more implausible Sherlock claimed to have chosen the most noticeable of all possible fall breaking devices: the infamous Big Blue Pillow, which had to be operated by quite a number of the homeless network! Something not only Moriarty or the snipers might notice easily but everybody who looked out of the window. Mycroft would not only have to close off the whole scene; he would have to evacuate every surrounding building! Even if I don't like every decision Mofftiss made, I firmly believe they can do better than that, especially since Sherlock could've easily made it more plausible by saying to Anderson he HAD seen Moriarty's death wish.

To be fair one has to admit that the majority of fall theories only work with a dead or cooperative Moriarty and/or blind snipers.

My theory atm is, that Mofftiss DID tell us in TEH how Sherlock did it. The evil duo wasn't deceiving us completely. But they hid the truth artfully in all three solutions in a wonderful sleight of hands. Maybe Derren Brown did help out a bit with the plotting, lol! ;) By piecing it together one can arrive at a plausible narrative.

If they really gonna use it in the upcoming seasons - I don't know. They might change their minds. But HLV with it's Moriarty gif riddle as a cliff hanger gives me some hope that they will get back to the circumstances of the fall. They have to explain after all if Moriarty is dead or alive.

Hi Inge, what kind of recurrant mistake? I'm sure there are all kinds of mistakes, especially since I wrote a lot of it while being tired.... Ah, got it. Will do the editing, thanks. Should you or anybody find more mistakes, please tell me.

Hi, Littlefoot, you write "roll" instead of "role"'in all those game references. Could you please edit them because such an elementary spelling error detracts from your impressive research?

• Like 1

Inge, I got it already and did the editing. Thanks for telling me. What was I thinking? And you're right, it's quite distracting once you noticed it.

• Like 2

The more I think about it, the more I gravitate to the idea, that 'the other one' whom Mycroft mentions so ominously at the end of HLV, might be a (step)sister rather than another brother.

Nope.  ;)

tumblr_n1982d801F1ral3q0o7_500.gif

• Like 2

The more I think about it, the more I gravitate to the idea, that 'the other one' whom Mycroft mentions so ominously at the end of HLV, might be a (step)sister rather than another brother.

Careful, there, littlefoot, you're trampling sitty's favorite dream! :lol5:

Nope.  ;)

• Like 4

Nope.  ;)

Oh yes, please give us a Holmes on the side of the devils. Pretty please with cherry on top of tiramisu-black forest ice cream... :D

• Like 1

Well, if you show us such a nice such a nice gif, how could I not wish for a devillish Holmes brother, lol?

Maybe, we get a boy AND a girl though. I'm not quite serious here but wildly speculating. But the three Grimms' tales have something in common. The parents behave disgustingly. The father of the 12 brotheres wants to kill them because he only ever wanted a girl. Quite suspicious in our modern times, isn't it? Hänsel and Gretel weren't kidnapped by the witch but deliberately sent away by their parents. A boy and a girl. The parents of the Cinderella story aren't much better. But all three stories feature a girl in distress: the young mute queen, Gretel and Cinderella. That's where I'm coming from. But Hänsel is there, too. And Mofftiss have moved way beyond canon anyway. Who knows how many Holmes siblings are in the Sherlock-verse? And we haven't even started on the Moriarty brothers. They ARE canon after all.I remember sherlocking in the early days. We got slammed by the Conan Doyle connaisseurs when we suggested something which wasn't supported by canon. But since Mary Watson turned out to be a serial assassin (we still don't know though if she is on the side of the angels or the villains), everything is allowed. I'm not sure if I like or deplore that development ;)

Sittything, who is the guy in the gif?

Maybe we should move over to the potential-brother thread and discuss this some more.

Too bad that Joalro isn't around anymore. IMO he really managed to crack the code in a very impressive way and should get the credit. I can't remember having read anywhere a more convincing explanation. His discovery that Jim was staging loose versions of fairytales is brilliant. Suddenly Jim's posing with the crown jewells as the queen makes so much sense. Also the young queen from '12 Brothers' was mute, thus not being able to defend herself. And Jim's attorney declared they wouldn't mount a defence for Jim. It was all part of the game. This is great stuff from Mofftiss and the script writer. It would be a shame, if they don't look back eventually.

Sittything, who is the guy in the gif?

Wha????  That is Tom Hiddleston.  I dunno if you saw Thor or Avengers, but he plays Loki.  He's probably most well known for that.  A rumor started last year and then Gatiss said this (he's such a tease):

And it seems Sherlock co-creator Mark Gatiss – who also happens to play Mycroft in the BBC detective drama – agrees, admitting “Tom would be wonderful in Sherlock”, but adding "I’m sure but he only does movies now. What can I say?”

“I’ll ask him if you like,” Gatiss told an audience at a recent Q&A in Brazil, continuing (with tongue firmly in cheek), “Well it’s an internet rumour so it must be true. We might as well just wait and see what happens.”

I would LOVE for this to happen, but I don't think it really will. The only things that make me think it is possible are that he's friends with BC, worked with Gatiss on Coriolanus, and is now signed up to do a TV show that will air in 2016 so he's clearly not against TV.  Sherlock does love to include friends and family.  There was also a brief moment a month or so ago where IMDb had Hiddleston listed for series 4 Sherlock on his page, but then it was removed.... so, who knows.

• Like 1

Sittything, thanks! I'm not so much into those marvel movies, but I really like Chris Hemsworth. I saw him as James Hunt in 'Rush' and I just read that he will be in 'The Heart Of The Sea'.I'm really looking forward to the latter. I've read the book more than once. Ít's great. So I might as well check out 'Thor' with a critical eye on Loki ;)

Maybe Gatiss doesn't know for sure if this casting will work out. But I'm sure many great actors would kill for a role in 'Sherlock' even if they normally don't do tv. Look what happened to Freeman and Cumberbatch. They're booked solid for movies (and drive us Sherlockians crazy because we have to wait so long for new episodes, lol) and Benedict will go to Hollywood for the Oscars. I think the Oscar will go to Eddie Redmayne, though. I've met Stephen Hawking quite a while ago at a conference. Redmayne really nailed him, especially the eyes, which are full of life and intelligence, even if the rest of his body is immobile. It's really unnerving at first btw when Stephen Hawking talks to you with this artificial voice. But you get used to it when you realize that he talks specifically to you and took in all the surrounding conversations.

But I disgress. I think Tom Hiddleston would make an exception for Sherlock and do tv if the part is good and the schedule is compatible.

Sittything, thanks! I'm not so much into those marvel movies, but I really like Chris Hemsworth. I saw him as James Hunt in 'Rush' and I just read that he will be in 'The Heart Of The Sea'.I'm really looking forward to the latter. I've read the book more than once. Ít's great. So I might as well check out 'Thor' with a critical eye on Loki ;)i

I'm not really a big Marvel person either.  My husband drug me to most of them, until I saw Thor.  I love the Thor movies, and The Avengers... but it's basically because I find Loki so entertaining.  I've never actually seen Hiddleston in any other role.  lol.

• Like 1

OMG, my brain is boiling. And I LOVE IT. 

The worst thing about such situations is when your guts are screaming there is SOMETHING, but you cannot put a finger on it, not to mention making it into a reasonable thought. gaah.gif

• Like 2

J.P., You are so right! Can you imagine how I felt, having discovered all the underlying stuff and lingo of role playing games? It is too specific for being just a coincidence and it fits Jim's character to a T. Hey, he was playing from SiP onwards. And I was always convinced there must be more to IOU than just "I owe you". But I because I could never figure out what exactly he was staging and why, everybody I was talking to dismissed it as non-relevant and totally outlandish. Then I discovered this thread and everything fell into place.

The next question is of course how much Sherlock figured out. I think he really started planning his fake suicide as soon as Jim left his appartment, because Jim had hinted at a fall and bad things coming his way very soon. Molly had observed for a while that Sherlock was looking sad. He also wanted to stop Jim and the whole Moriarty organization. I will write more about that. But I'm not sure anymore that he figured out IOU and the re-enacted fairy tales. That might've taken him by surprise. Granted, he only got the code book and read Kitty's article the day before his fall, but Jim did his best to remind him of IOU with the well placed graffiti. And did Mycroft deliberately feed Jim tasty morsels from Sherlock's and his own past in order to orchestrate Sherlock's downfall or did he really make a mistake? Well, at least parts of the mysterious dialog on the rooftop are clearer now. I'm sure we will figure out more...

Beautiful theorising, but if taken at face value, it also makes sense: Moriarty warns Sherlock in the flat that he owes him a fall, he calls it "our little problem, the final problem", as a nod to the eponymous ACD story, he leaves the message on three different surfaces, the apple, the windows opposite Lestrade's office and on one of the walls during their evading arrest. He leaves three clues, the breadcrumbs, the book and the name of his alleged alter ego, which, of course would mean "the rich men's brook" in German. He faces Sherlock as an adversary three times, in the flat, during their visit to Kitty Riley's flat, and on the rooftop at St. Bartholomew's.

To ensure Sherlock's death, he is willing to offer up his own life, exactly as in the Final Problem.

• Like 1

Inge, you're quite right. All the things you mention are there, too. That's why RF is so artfully constructed.

One thing to chew upon, though: I don't think Jim choose the Rich Brook alias because Sherlock was The Reichenbach Hero. I think it was the other way round: Jim probably staged the Reichenbach case and threw it in Sherlock's way because of his Rich Brook alter ego. His way of having some fun. Here's why: Jim's Rich Brook incarnation was documented over many years. You can conclude that from the documents Kitty has in her possession. Jim simply can't have created that trail of documents within two month. Rich Brook had gotten awards. These things can be checked online within minutes and people are involved who will remember. There should be the dvds and kids who remember. Kitty has certainly done some background checks on Rich Brook. Jim was probably leading a double life. In TEH we are witnesses of the breaking news, that after extensive research Rich Brook turned out to be a Moriarty creation. That was two years after RF. We know about the time line because Lestrade says to Anderson after two years his theories are getting whackier and whackier. Seconds later we witness the breaking news, The reporters are on air life. Now, if Jim had created Rich Brook simply as a salute to The Reichenbach Hero the police would've hardly needed two years to find out about the fake identity. It would've collapsed within days. You could say of course it's simply fridge logic, but I don't think so. The writer could've simply included a dialog between Lestrade and Anderson, which stated that Rich Brook had been found to be a false identity some time ago. But the script writers took the trouble to make the time line very transparent and underline the fact that it took a lot of time and research to dismantle Moriarty's Rich Brook persona.

• Like 2

J. P, if you decide to share your text about birds let us know where you put it.

The more I think about it, the more I gravitate to the idea, that 'the other one' whom Mycroft mentions so ominously at the end of HLV, might be a (step)sister rather than another brother. .... There's nothing in Mycroft's words which suggests, he's specifically talking about a man ....

I agree, that seems very carefully worded (by Moftiss or by Mycroft) to be gender-neutral: "I am not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion.  You know what happened to the other one."  (The word "brotherly" here seems to refer to Mycroft's own compassion, or lack thereof, rather than "the other one's.")

Moriarty's death is the most important eventuality, since it's absolutely necessary for the Lazarus theory to work even marginally. But Sherlock says they hadn't planned for this? How exactly did Sherlock plan to sneak the Big Blue Pillow past a living and kicking Moriarty?

But recall that Sherlock referred to thirteen possible scenarios -- "Lazarus" (which requires Moriarty to be dead) is presumably just one of those, so most of the plans would allow for a live Moriarty and would therefore NOT use Big Blue. (And since Sherlock seemed to be totally taken aback by Moriarty's suicide, I am guessing that the "Lazarus" plan was not included with that in mind, but rather on the off-chance that Sherlock might need to kill him.)

... the infamous Big Blue Pillow ... omething not only Moriarty or the snipers might notice easily but everybody who looked out of the window. Mycroft would not only have to close off the whole scene; he would have to evacuate every surrounding building!

Thanks -- I've been saying the same thing! I just can't imagine they actually ensured that no unauthorized personnel would have had line-of-sight to that area. Either the "suicidal jumper" OR Big Blue would seem more than adequate to inspire a trending hashtag!

... since Mary Watson turned out to be a serial assassin (we still don't know though if she is on the side of the angels or the villains), everything is allowed. I'm not sure if I like or deplore that development ;)

Yup. I know that some people believe that Mary will definitely die because the canon Mary (apparently) died. But it's not like they haven't changed anything else about her! And you will note that when such people as Martin Freeman refer to her death, they always use words like "apparently" or "presumably." None of which means that she will not die, of course (hey, we're all gonna die!). But it does seem to take us right back to "who knows?"

• Like 1

... the infamous Big Blue Pillow ... omething not only Moriarty or the snipers might notice easily but everybody who looked out of the window. Mycroft would not only have to close off the whole scene; he would have to evacuate every surrounding building!

Thanks -- I've been saying the same thing! I just can't imagine they actually ensured that no unauthorized personnel would have had line-of-sight to that area. Either the "suicidal jumper" OR Big Blue would seem more than adequate to inspire a trending hashtag!

Hey, don't forget, Sherlock said "Everything was anticipated; every eventuality allowed for." Surely he wouldn't lie about something like that? :huh: After all, he is a :littleangel:.      ;)

Seriously, it does't matter how many people see him jump, does it? The more the merrier! It only matters if they see big blue. But Sherlock had that all worked out, so ... no problemo! :lol:

• Like 1

Carol, yes,you are right: Sherlock mentioned 13 other solutions when he has his talk with Mary and John. And there might be some which didn't include a jump. Personally I don't think so. I think he had planned this for quite a while and always meant to jump, because he wanted to go undercover and dismantle Moriarty's crime web. That's why he choose a public tall building for the final act - as Jim pointed out helpfully. Sherlock tells John and Mary in TEH, Moriarty had to be stopped and we know there was much more to Moriarty & Co than being the instigator of slightly dangerous live action games. But even if his decision to jump depended on the outcome of his confrontation with Jim, the Big Blue Pillow solution is still simply daft. Not only Moriarty had to be dead/hypnotized/immobilized or cooperative, but the whole street and everybody who might've looked out of the window would've needed a treatment with the flashy thing from Men in Black! ;)

Arcadia, you're right: It didn't matter how many people saw Sherlock jump - as long as they didn't see the Big Blue Pillow... which was the most visible and suspicious thing the writers could possibly come up with. It's also quite noisy when it gets blown up with this machine. I know that because in my street they set up a Yellow Big Pillow for kids every year for a street fare. To keep it blown up the machine has to run without interruption. It's quite loud and annoying. There are many better ways to stage Lazarus: A firefighter's net of the old fashioned kind would've worked better: Silent, easier to transport, quicker to set up, less bright and speedily removed. And a lot safer for Sherlock - as many professional stuntmen pointed out after they had seen TEH. Even Anderson's bungee jump has more merit than the Big Blue Pillow, because Sherlock would've needed only one helper on the roof who cleares the rope away quickly and there's a very slim chance the rope would go unnotized (not by Moriarty but the snipers and bystanders) if things unfolded speedily. The snipers and potential eye witnesses might've been a bit surprised about Sherlock bouncing around a bit, though. I'm not suggesting that's the way he did it (Sherlock is better than that) but just pointing out Anderson isn't completely stupid, lol! Nor are Mofftiss. I think they sold us one of the sillier solutions (basically they let us know how they FILMED it - Sherlock even points out the similarity to a film set to Anderson btw) by letting Sherlock doing the explaining in a completely reasonable and rational manner. Anderson and the audience swallowed it -albeit grudgingly. Thus is the power of Sherlock! The power of presentation.

I think we want to cling to that solution because we can't bear to wait another couple of years for a better one. Killing Sherlock is sooo three years ago after all. Also it's emotionally more satisfying if Sherlock did this to save his friends. But there are many tell tale signs that this was carefully planned and orchestrated in advance in order to extinguish not only Moriarty but his crime web for good. If that's true it was important, that not only the snipers and other assorted Moriarty helpers but every innocent bystander firmly believed Sherlock to be dead.

Sherlock DID sacrifice himself for a friend and his happiness eventually in HLV. Mofftiss gave us that emotional satisfaction, though many, including myself don't approve of the means.

All this is strictly my personal opinion of course, and even if I'm right, Mofftiss might change their minds and leave us with the three presented solutions - which hide the real solution IMO. They DID tell us in their twisted way how Sherlock did it, and they might leave it that way. We will see...

But maybe we should discuss this further in a more appropriate thread.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'll be surprised if they address the Fall again. Of course, they said Season 4 would be the last thing we expect, so if I expect them to ignore the Fall, they'll explain it all over again, right? ;)

• Like 2

Arcadia, I've not the foggiest idea, if they will adress the fall again. From an artistic POV it wouldn't be advisable since most fans are simply over it and have moved on. The momentum is gone. On the other hand this rather brilliant show which presented the fans with a wonderful puzzle left them with a really uninspired and crappy solution with many loose ends. Just look what we discussed in this thread. I'm sure Joalro cracked the IOU code, which they constructed so nicely - and they didn't have the decency to address it again. So as far as this is concerned the show loses either way IMO.

IF they adress the fall again it should better be relevant for future developments. I can see some openings there. By giving us the Moriarty gif as their latest cliffhanger, they set up a possibility for looking back, since they have to explain if he's dead or alive. Mycroft is clearly stunned by Jim's (or whoever has done it) tv comeback. The next thing he would do is ask Sherlock as soon as he steps out of the plane if there's the slightest possibility of Jim being alive. Sherlock watched him die after all.

So, there's definitely a possibility to make the fall relevant again. But you're so right, they always do the unexpected...

• Like 2