A Question.

Has anyone compiled a list of the links in the series to the Canonical stories? I’m betting that a list exists. I keep meaning to re-watch the series at some point and I’ve always meant to see how many I could spot. I know there are quite a few but I can’t recall many offhand. I recall a poster in the kitchen for example (I think.)

9 hours ago, besleybean said:

When I checked this book on Amazon US [link] it pointed out that I had bought it six or seven years ago!  Clearly it didn't make an indelible impression on me, but there are a number of bookmarks in it, so I must have seen some intriguing items at the time.  Just offhand, it looks interesting and does have a lot of canon references, but (as the top UK review mentions) the author also tends to elaborate on her own interpretations at great length.

Unfortunately the book covers only the first three series.

I haven’t decided on getting this. To be honest I was hoping that someone had simply posted a list online. As there’s a whole book on the subject there must have been a lot of them and, as Carol points,  out it only covers 3 series. I wasn’t intending to try and produce any kind of definitive list rather I was just intending to see how many I could spot. I might still have a go?  

11 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I wasn’t intending to try and produce any kind of definitive list rather I was just intending to see how many I could spot. I might still have a go? 

Why not?  You haven't actually seen a copy of the existing book, so you have a fresh perspective.  You're well acquainted with not only canon, but also the major prior adaptations.

If you like, you could start a thread here (or use this one -- you could even modify the title if you like) and post your observations as you go along.  Or perhaps start a thread for each episode -- that would keep things more orderly.  Fair warning, though:  If you do anything like that, the rest of us are likely to post the occasional canon reference as well.   ;)

I might just do that Carol. I’ve been intending a re-watch but my current House obsession has got in the way. Maybe I need a House timeout. I’m just about to begin the penultimate series.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 5:25 AM, HerlockSholmes said:

I haven’t decided on getting this. To be honest I was hoping that someone had simply posted a list online. As there’s a whole book on the subject there must have been a lot of them and, as Carol points,  out it only covers 3 series. I wasn’t intending to try and produce any kind of definitive list rather I was just intending to see how many I could spot. I might still have a go?  

I am 97% certain I've seen something like this online ... but I'm 100% sure that I could be mistaken and might be thinking of something else. :wacko:  But I bet it would be worth a little google-fu.

On 3/31/2021 at 3:12 PM, HerlockSholmes said:

I did have a look Arcadia but only a very brief one. I’ll try again.👍

Aha, I just found this person; looks like she's pretty thorough! I don't know how many episodes she's covered, though. At least two. Oops, at least three ... no time to keep looking but here's the link to her  directory. Hope this is something you'll enjoy looking at!  Sherlock | Valerie Estelle Frankel's Pop Culture Blog (wordpress.com)

The book left off after Series 3, but her blog includes sections on Six Thatchers and Lying Detective (with some references to Final Problem).

Ha, didn't even look at the name.

I have a couple of books but not sure if it's what you asked. Will check it later and let you know.

As promised, but I hope I don't misunderstand your question.

Here are couple of books that link the series to the Canonical stories, some go a little bit more in depth. I suppose you guys are familiar with some or all of these books.

Sherlock Chronicles

This leans heavily to the details of BBC series. It's interesting; behind the scenes, the actors, the deliberation of whatever decisions made for the series. It's a thick heavy book with a lot of pictures, gorgeous paper, interesting layout.

These are the examples of the canon reference

20210408-173921.jpg

20210408-173946.jpg

Investigating Sherlock (The Unofficial Guide)

This is a thin book with all words, but easy read for those familiar with Holmes. It mentions bits of House and others but not much.

These are the examples

20210408-174014.jpg

20210408-174051.jpg

20210408-174137.jpg

If I remember correctly, there is limit of 5 images each post, so to the next.

The Casebook

This is light-hearted and fun book. It gives us interaction not showed in the series. But in the opening word, Sherlock advices you not to buy it, because 'the author has transformed what should have been a series of lectures into a gross and tasteless entertainment.' But who listens to guy who keeps thumbs in his fridge right?

These are the example:

20210408-173858.jpg

20210408-174357.jpg

That's all I have. If I misunderstood your question, feel free to write to Sherlock to update him about the new status of the forum IQ.

Unrelated to BBC's, I like this:

20210408-173844.jpg

It's mostly about the canon Sherlock Holmes, nice solid book. I have some other e-book of this series (other title are Math, Science, Phylosohy, Biology etc, something along those line, so I find it amazing that Sherlock Holmes is the odd topic there, which shows how remarkable he is). And Sherlock is the only one I have in physical form, had to sacrifice grocery money when I saw it in my book store.

But I haven't finished reading it eventhough I have it for years (not sure why? what useless things did I do? haven't been reading a lot for a loong time)

• Like 1