Episode 2.1, "A Scandal In Belgravia"

Undead Medic

What did you think of "A Scandal In Belgravia?"  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote Here:

• 10/10 Excellent.
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

The CIA guy who gets thrown out of the window... when Sherlock meets him again at the Jumbo jet, Sherlock speaks to him in an American/westernish accent.  Did you notice?  Too funny.  Not sure why the CIA guy kept calling him SIR.

The CIA guy who gets thrown out of the window... when Sherlock meets him again at the Jumbo jet, Sherlock speaks to him in an American/westernish accent.  Did you notice?  Too funny.  Not sure why the CIA guy kept calling him SIR.

Yep! And I wondered about the "sir" thing too ... and also I wondered, who would pin a medal on the guy for shooting Sherlock? That was a bit scary.

Well, Doyle was writing in a far different era!!! -- but yeah, I agree.  I'd like to see Sherlock be friends with a woman, tho, I think that would be a nice update.

If we ever get to see Harry Watson, I think she would be a natural friend for Sherlock.  There would be no sexual pressure, they could share their addiction troubles (her with alcohol, him with drugs) and most of all bond over dissing John.  :lol:

• Like 2

Yep! And I wondered about the "sir" thing too ... and also I wondered, who would pin a medal on the guy for shooting Sherlock? That was a bit scary.

The only thing I can reason about the SIR thing is that the CIA guy is an underling, and Sherlock has sort of special status being Mycroft's brother so he has to be respectful... or he's perhaps calling him "sir" in pre-recognition of a knighthood.  Hard to say.

Or the CIA guy could have being sarcastic.  Since he was at the plane....and probably knew Mycroft was on board.....he may have also known of the big mistake Sherlock had made to national security by cracking that phone code for Adler who had sent it on to Moriarty....then on to Mycroft.  And maybe the shot to the head was in reference to a firing squad for treason?

• Like 2

Okay, I see. I was thinking when Sherlock hesitated on the stairs that he was troubled by Nielson's threat, but it makes more sense that he paused because he was puzzled why Nielson threatened him. Of course, Sherlock didn't know yet how he'd helped wreck the "Coventry" plans.

Okay, here's one for PURE SPECULATION... what do you think happened between Irene and Sherlock after he rescued her and how long do you think he was missing from Britain? 

BTW, BC has said he knows what happened in his head and that "it was very loving."

Couldn't have been to long or John....and most certainly Mycroft would have noticed the absence.....though in canon Holmes would be away from the flat for days before Watson laid eyes on him. A week....maybe?  If that long...with plane travel and all.

Well, he did keep her phone in the end, so  the chemical defect found in the losing side - sentiment - seems to have a place in his heart.

And it harks back to "A Study in Pink" when Sherlock is deducing John's phone.

He says something along the lines...."He left her....if she had left him he would have kept it. They do you know, sentiment." 

And then here he is, asking to keep Irene Adler's phone....sentiment indeed.

• Like 3

It's my impression (mostly from television) that American cops are trained to address men as "sir" (even reasonably well-behaved suspects).  It may be part of the "public servant" idea.  So maybe that applies to federal agents as well?  It's my impression that Nielsen is required to call Sherlock "sir" -- but he doesn't have to like it!  I agree with Fox, he's being sarcastic as hell.

As for the "pin a medal" thing, I doubt very much that he meant that literally -- more like Sherlock had been such a pain in the butt to the CIA that Nielsen and his fellow agents would very much LIKE to see someone put a bullet in him.  (Note:  Neilsen probably loved Series 3.)

• Like 1

Well, the military officers around here usually address other men as sire, er, sir, :blush2: but I'm trying to think if any of the CIA guys do ... not that I recall, but of course, you're never sure which ones actually ARE CIA ... :D

Maybe Mary was Nielson's boss, that's why she doesn't want her past revealed ... she was the one who sicced him on Mrs. H!

Maybe Mary was Nielson's boss, that's why she doesn't want her past revealed ... she was the one who sicced him on Mrs. H!

Boy, if Sherlock was ever to find that out.....I have no doubts that she would be more then just thrown out a window multiple times. But actually John and Sherlock...and Mrs. Hudson accuse Mycroft for being the one responsible for Nielson.

Boy, if Sherlock was ever to find that out.....I have no doubts that she would be more then just thrown out a window multiple times. But actually John and Sherlock...and Mrs. Hudson accuse Mycroft for being the one responsible for Nielson.

Nah, even I am not gonna lay that at Mycroft's door. I think David Petraeus (he of the "extremely poor judgement") would get that honor. S,J & Mrs. H thought Mycroft knew the CIA were after Irene, but not that he was responsible for sending them.

Hhhmmmm  I'll have to look up that scene. Something about "Shame on you for sending your brother..

Then John comes in with..."Yeah...thanks for that Mycroft."

Sherlock looks at Mycroft and says something about the American Agents....and he gets up and faces Mycroft with the fact that he must have known there was something on the phone that the CiA agents wanted. 

i didn't say that Mycroft sent them personally but he knew they too was after the phone and he didn't warn Sherlock about them.

Mycroft manages to look sheepish and doesn't deny it.

How do you know the guy's name was Nielsen?

I don't think he's ever referred to by name in the episode, but is apparently given that name in the credits, and I recall that the actor's name is mentioned in the commentary, so people were able to match him up.  And apparently I misspelled the character's name, and it should be Neilson.

Hhhmmmm  I'll have to look up that scene. Something about "Shame on you for sending your brother..

Then John comes in with..."Yeah...thanks for that Mycroft."

Sherlock looks at Mycroft and says something about the American Agents....

Here you go, Fox:

SHERLOCK: Did you know there were other people after her too, Mycroft, before you sent John and I in there? CIA-trained killers, at an excellent guess.

(He goes back to the table and sits down again as John looks round at Mycroft.)

JOHN: Yeah, thanks for that, Mycroft.

(Mrs Hudson brings in a plate of breakfast from the kitchen and puts it down in front of Sherlock.)

MRS HUDSON (sternly): It’s a disgrace, sending your little brother into danger like that. Family is all we have in the end, Mycroft Holmes.

MYCROFT: Oh, shut up, Mrs Hudson.

SHERLOCK (furiously): MYCROFT!

JOHN (simultaneously and equally furiously): OI!

(Mycroft looks at their angry faces glaring at him, then cringes and looks contritely at Mrs Hudson.)

MYCROFT: Apologies.

• Like 1

You'll also find Neilson's name in her transcript, which I guess is where I learned it from.

I think this episode is the most complicated of all the episodes.  Who is playing who and when are they playing each other - and are there any genuine moments????

I posted the commentary above because Moffit/Gatiss/Cumberbatch/Pulver watch it and comment on it as it's happening and you get a lot of their insight into what is going on, which throws out any conflicting assumptions about what is going on.  

But if there were any genuine moments between Adler and Sherlock, it is only a few bits of dialogue, specifically when he comes out of his 2-hr trance and says "Coventry," and there is just a quiet moment of their guard being down when he realizes that although he thought he was just talking to John, John left 2 hrs before.  But then she goes on her game again with "Have you ever had anyone?"  By this time, however, he's already lost his trust completely with her and is well aware of her game and even that she has developed sentimental feelings towards him.  

Interesting in the commentary how either Moffit or Gatiss remarks about the time passage in the episode.  When it first starts, it's June 30 according to John's blog.  Then we get a Christmas where Sherlock gets Irene's phone, and we know that he had it for at least 6 months because she comments on that right before he exposes the unlock code.  So this episode covers at least a year of time.

• Like 1