Episode 2.1, "A Scandal In Belgravia"

Undead Medic

What did you think of "A Scandal In Belgravia?"  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote Here:

• 10/10 Excellent.
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

But - he is shown in his Carpet. He might have many, but obviously they all stayed in London. So - it must be Anderson's fantasy. :D

Oh, I think he had at least one edition of The Carpet with him. Maybe he lost it in Serbia. But that's still a good point, it could all be What's-his-name Anderson's fantasy!

Wait, why isn't all this in the MHR thread? :p

• Like 1

Three carpets; original-taken by Irene Adler, second- lost in Serbia, third- given by Anthea after makeover in Mycroft's bunker office *tongue in cheek* :D

Because none of the Moderators have moved it!

I thought about it but I'm too busy reading all the other threads! :p

• Like 1

Three carpets; original-taken by Irene Adler, second- lost in Serbia, third- given by Anthea after makeover in Mycroft's bunker office *tongue in cheek* :D

Irene returned his coat, of course.  Not sure he took one on his undercover mission.  Seeing him in it in MHR is how Anderson imagines him to be.

There's  also the coat he lent for the body in the morgue that was pushed out the window.  As he tells Anderson, he's got lots of coats.  I assume he has several Belstaffs.

Thankfully, they don't seem to shoot in the summer too often.  Winter/early spring seems to be their favored time now.

• Like 1

But - he is shown in his Carpet. He might have many, but obviously they all stayed in London. So - it must be Anderson's fantasy. :D

Sorry, but I can't figure out what scene you're talking about with a carpet.

By the way, I wouldn't be quite so certain that Anderson's first name really is Philip.  Considering that we've heard it only once, and that was from from Sherlock, who has referred to Lestrade as "Graham," "Gavin," and "Geoff," I wouldn't bet on anything beyond it starting with either a P or an F.  (Admittedly, his difficulty with "Greg" is presumably a play on all the different names that the movies have assigned to ACD's "G. Lestrade" -- but nevertheless, the writers have shown Sherlock as having that characteristic, so I'm afraid he's stuck with it.)

We need to ask someone with a script to ASIP to see how Anderson is introduced in the script.  If he's intro'd as Phillip Anderson, then Phillip it is.  It is only Lestrade whose name seems to escape him... or is he just messing with him all the time?  

It is odd that Sherlock's name woes apply only to poor Lestrade.  lol

Oh, and John's girlfriends (excluding Mary).

We need to ask someone with a script to ASIP to see how Anderson is introduced in the script.  If he's intro'd as Phillip Anderson, then Phillip it is.  It is only Lestrade whose name seems to escape him... or is he just messing with him all the time?  

You rang? ;) No such luck though, he's simply introduced (and called) Anderson.

• Like 3

It is odd that Sherlock's name woes apply only to poor Lestrade.  lol

Oh, and John's girlfriends (excluding Mary).

It's definitely part of my "headcanon" that Sherlock knows very well what Lestrade's name is and that he only pretends to forget it to piss him off. Same with John's old girlfriends, actually - although in their cases, I think he deliberately chose never to find out what they were called. He didn't seem to have a problem remembering Sarah's name... Maybe because she was nice, or he at least didn't disapprove of her.

• Like 2

By the way, I wouldn't be quite so certain that Anderson's first name really is Philip. Considering that we've heard it only once, and that was from from Sherlock, who has referred to Lestrade as "Graham," "Gavin," and "Geoff," I wouldn't bet on anything beyond it starting with either a P or an F. (Admittedly, his difficulty with "Greg" is presumably a play on all the different names that the movies have assigned to ACD's "G. Lestrade" -- but nevertheless, the writers have shown Sherlock as having that characteristic, so I'm afraid he's stuck with it.)

I'm horrible with names, what could he be?

Paul? Peter? Pacy? Plato? Pluto?

and we don't even see Anderson in SIB XD

I do wonder why Sherlock could not be bothered to change into regular clothes when a client was present.

You mean rather than always seeing clients in a dressing gown?

If so, I always thought that was kind of a call back to canon Holmes, when it would have been more shocking for a Victorian man to see the public in a state of "undress."  Makes him more bohemian. 

Of course, just sort of makes our Sherlock either a bit of a slob or a fuss-budget who runs around wearing his dressing gown over his clothes half the time.  :D

• Like 2

That sort of depends on your point of view, doesn't it? :naughty:

• Like 1

How about "the more I see of Sherlock, the better" ... ? :evilinside:

• Like 2

Perhaps I'm being much more progressive than the Victorians, but I definitely would not take offence if Sherlock Holmes met with me wearing nothing but a sheet.   ;)

• Like 4

Well, if you have a look-see in the Jeremy Brett thread, you will find out how the sheet gag started, actually in The Master Blackmailer, seeing as to the creators everything that has gone before is canon.

And according to the Sherlock Chronicles, BC chose the coat himself, so he cannot very well call it the Carpet without being disingenuous.

• Like 1

For some reason (probably because I am sad about human nature and the world right now), I was just thinking how much I love Sherlock's line "what a tender world that would be".

That is so beautiful. A "tender world". I wonder where that came from. Not an original Doyle story - I'd have remembered that. Is it from another Sherlock Holmes adaptation? Or did they just make it up?

It doesn't matter. It's just lovely. A tender world. And I love how Sherlock, Sherlock of all people, says it wistfully, as if he'd actually like that kind of world but knows it will never exist. He then proceeds to commit acts of incredible brutality, but that little line before tells me that he sees these as necessary evils rather than glorious revenge. I don't think Sherlock actually enjoys beating people up. Of course he has rage, and he's a guy, he probably does feel a certain primal satisfaction while fighting, but I love, I absolutely love how his great heart and mind come through there for a moment to say "you know, I really wish I didn't have to do this".

Sherlock, I am sorry, but for me, you are a hero.

• Like 4

Always makes me think of Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World."

Stands to reason that you wouldn't recognise it TOBY, since it is in Margery Allingham's Albert Campion story Sweet Danger, where he first meets Lady Amanda.

Sorry, should add that a very similar wording can be found in Di Lampedusa's The Leopard, where the prince discusses theology and world views with the family priest. Of course, it is said as sarcastically there as Sherlock says it in Scandal.

I've tried searching that book (apparently also known as The Fear Sign) on Amazon, Inge, and am not coming up with that quote.  Are you referring to the television adaptation?

Dear Carol, Sweet Danger was not part of the series, and since I have two copies, mine is Sweet Danger, Vintage, 2004, definitely UK, I have absolutely no idea why the title should change in the U.S. It's the one where they pretend to be first foreign dignitaries, then the band of four friends goes to the village of Pontisbright, they meet the family and re-instate Amanda's younger brother as the rightful heir because he also owns a Balcan state where precious mineral resources can be of use to the British crown.