Canon References In A Study In Pink.

HerlockSholmes

A very clumsy thread title which I’d be happy for the Mods to change.👍

Carol suggested this thread so here goes. I just re-watched A Study In Pink watching for any Canon references that I could see. I’ve probably missed loads. Some are pretty (or very) tenuous some are very obvious, like the first which I just add for completeness.

A Study In Pink - A Study In Scarlet

John has his army pistol  - Watson’s service revolver which is mentioned numerous times.

John’s blog - Watson’s writings about Holmes.

Sherlock’s website - Holmes newspaper article which Watson dismisses.

Mike Stamford - Stamford introduces Holmes and Watson.

Barts Hospital.

John and Mike’s coffee cups have the word ‘Criterion’ on them - Watson met Stamford at The Criterion Bar.

Lauriston Garden’s - The also the scene of the murder in ASIS

Rache - Used in ASIS but as the German for revenge not Rachel.

The phrase The Game Is On - The Game’s Afoot.

Sherlock’s mobile phone deduction - In The Sign Of Four Holmes makes similar deductions from Watson’s brother’s watch.

‘Suicide’ Jennifer Wilson - In The Red Headed League the pawnbroker is Jabez Wilson. Also one of the cases mention is of Wilson, the notorious Canary Trainer.

’Suicide’ Patterson - One case mentioned by Watson is untold story of The Grace-Paterson’s on the Island Of Uffa (different spelling so probably too tenuous to count)

‘Suicide’ James Phillimore - In The Problem Of Thor Bridge, Holmes mentions the case of James Phillimore who “stepping back into his own house to get his umbrella, was never more seen in this world.” So that’s a direct parallel.

Sherlock’s nicotine addiction - Holmes cocaine.

Sherlock’s 3 patch problem - Holmes 3 pipe problem.

John leaves his stick at Angela’s - Dr Mortimer left his stick at 221b.

Sherlock cleared Angelo of Murder by proving he was elsewhere committing a crime - I’m unsure if this idea was in the Canon (possibly not?) but it’s used in a Rathbone movie I think it was The Voice Of Terror (the piano player in the pub.)

22 Northumberland Avenue is the address given - If you go onto Google InstantStreetView type 22 Northumberland Avenue you can see the Sherlock Holmes pub 30 yards away. Also Sir Henry Baskerville also stayed in the Northumberland Hotel.

During the chase you see a sign for Lexington Street - In The Norwood Builder the housekeeper is Mrs Lexington.

Taxi driver Jeff Hope - The murderer in ASIS is Jefferson Hope who drove a Hansom Cab.

John tells Sherlock that he’d actually been wounded in the shoulder - In the Canon Watson’s injury was initially in his shoulder but it later moved to his leg.

Anderson - In The Five Orange Pips there’s  mention of the loss of The Barque Sophie Anderson

John shoots Jeff Hope through the window - Reminiscent of Sebastian Moran shooting the bust of Holmes in The Final Problem

That’s all that I spotted. I kept thinking that the name Donovan might have been used in the Canon but I think I’m wrong in that (although the name keeps nagging at me. I even tried looking at the taxi drivers badge number 71126 as 7th of October 1926 but I can’t find anything relevant.

Herlock, I've condensed the title just a bit -- please let me know if I've inadvertently changed he meaning.

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Sherlock cleared Angelo of Murder by proving he was elsewhere committing a crime - I’m unsure if this idea was in the Canon (possibly not?) but it’s used in a Rathbone movie I think it was The Voice Of Terror (the piano player in the pub.)

According to Moftiss, "everything is canon" -- so the Rathbone movies definitely count.

I made a few notes before reading your list -- let's see if I have anything that you don't.  OK, just a couple:

In both ASiS and ASiP, J. Hope offers his victims their choice of two pills, one poison and one not.

In ASiS, the murderer is an American, whereas in ASiP Sherlock decides the passenger cannot be the murderer BECAUSE he's an American -- so it's another switcheroo, similar to RACHE(L).

25 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Herlock, I've condensed the title just a bit -- please let me know if I've inadvertently changed he meaning.

According to Moftiss, "everything is canon" -- so the Rathbone movies definitely count.

I made a few notes before reading your list -- let's see if I have anything that you don't.  OK, just a couple:

In both ASiS and ASiP, J. Hope offers his victims their choice of two pills, one poison and one not.

In ASiS, the murderer is an American, whereas in ASiP Sherlock decides the passenger cannot be the murderer BECAUSE he's an American -- so it's another switcheroo, similar to RACHE(L).

Yes, I should have mentioned the pills Carol👍

Well done, Herl!  

I revisited Watson's first encounter with SH in Barts' lab to refresh my memory.

This exchange with (Young) Stamford is nearly verbatim:

“That’s a strange thing,” remarked my companion; “you are the second man to-day that has used that expression to me.”

“And who was the first?” I asked.

When the two guys walk in on Sherlock Holmes, he is busy doing a chemical test at the microscope in both versions.  The corpse flogging is not mentioned in the story, but I suppose Mofftiss got that idea from somewhere.

FYI, Prince Philip had his heart procedure at 'Barts' earlier this month.

Dr. Watson in the story has a more favorable impression of his new flatmate at the start; Benedict played Sherl as significantly more irritating to his new acquaintance.  But he is perhaps more honestly himself in the early days so that Watson knows exactly what he's in for.  In Chapter II, John makes this droll observation which demonstrates that the full extent of his new roommate's challenging habits has not been fully disclosed.

Holmes was certainly not a difficult man to live with. He was quiet in his ways, and his habits were regular. It was rare for him to be up after ten at night, and he had invariably breakfasted and gone out before I rose in the morning.

ROFL!!!

Your list was very thorough.  I would add the accoutrements of 221B, including 'Skully' and the knife holding down the letters on the mantelpiece. I can't remember a Persian slipper, but I feel certain that Mofftiss would have included it.

I think it's Hounds of Baskerville that features SH walking into the sitting room while stuffing some cigarettes into the toe of a white sneaker (as we Americans call a trainer) and hiding it under the couch.  I thought that was droll.

23 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Anderson - In The Five Orange Pips there’s  mention of the loss of The Barque Sophie Anderson

Aha.  Though I always associated Anderson's role/personality in the show as that of 'Athelney Jones'--the Scotland Yarder who was a rival of SH's.

22 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

David Marcum would disagree with Mofftiss . . or would phrase it as 'canon is everything'.  He's a lot choosier about what he will allow as true to canon.  Blowing up Baker Street and blasting Holmes and Watson out of the second storey windows absolutely unscathed probably wouldn't rate.  He's very fond of the Rathbone movies, though he has likely become more discerning than he was as a 10-year-old.   I do not know his feelings about The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.  I don't think he objects to the Holmes and Watson, but he probably wouldn't care for a lot of that plot, including the hints of romance between SH and an insidious female.

44 minutes ago, Hikari said:

The corpse flogging is not mentioned in the story....

You must have blinked!  When they're on their way to meet Holmes, Stamford tells Watson that he's seen him "... beating the subjects in the dissecting room with a stick .... to verify how far bruises may be produced after death."

40 minutes ago, Hikari said:

I always associated Anderson's role/personality in the show as that of 'Athelney Jones'

And you may be right about that.  Anderson is such a common surname that I wouldn't assume the pathologist is any relation to a briefly-mentioned canon ship.

8 hours ago, Hikari said:

Well done, Herl!  

I revisited Watson's first encounter with SH in Barts' lab to refresh my memory.

This exchange with (Young) Stamford is nearly verbatim:

“That’s a strange thing,” remarked my companion; “you are the second man to-day that has used that expression to me.”

“And who was the first?” I asked.

When the two guys walk in on Sherlock Holmes, he is busy doing a chemical test at the microscope in both versions.  The corpse flogging is not mentioned in the story, but I suppose Mofftiss got that idea from somewhere.

FYI, Prince Philip had his heart procedure at 'Barts' earlier this month.

Dr. Watson in the story has a more favorable impression of his new flatmate at the start; Benedict played Sherl as significantly more irritating to his new acquaintance.  But he is perhaps more honestly himself in the early days so that Watson knows exactly what he's in for.  In Chapter II, John makes this droll observation which demonstrates that the full extent of his new roommate's challenging habits has not been fully disclosed.

Holmes was certainly not a difficult man to live with. He was quiet in his ways, and his habits were regular. It was rare for him to be up after ten at night, and he had invariably breakfasted and gone out before I rose in the morning.

ROFL!!!

Your list was very thorough.  I would add the accoutrements of 221B, including 'Skully' and the knife holding down the letters on the mantelpiece. I can't remember a Persian slipper, but I feel certain that Mofftiss would have included it.

I think it's Hounds of Baskerville that features SH walking into the sitting room while stuffing some cigarettes into the toe of a white sneaker (as we Americans call a trainer) and hiding it under the couch.  I thought that was droll.

I’ve been to Bart’s and saw the Sherlock grafitto plastered everywhere. I wish I could have gone inside on a tour but I didn’t have time. I wanted to see the plaque.

https://www.london-walking-tours.co.uk/secret-london/holmes-watson-plaque.htm

Was the knife there? How did I miss that? I did look for the Persian slipper though

I might watch the second episode tomorrow? When I’ve rewatched the series I might get that book and see what I’ve missed.

7 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Was the knife there? How did I miss that?

They did at some point (presumably in Pink) show Sherlock stabbing some letters onto the mantel with the knife, and I think (?) it was in the scene where John first comes to Baker Street.  (Normally I would check Ariane Devere's transcript, but she has a new indexing system, and I haven't been able to find anything lately.)  Near as I recall, he's talking about something else at the time, so you may have been distracted.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

They did at some point (presumably in Pink) show Sherlock stabbing some letters onto the mantel with the knife, and I think (?) it was in the scene where John first comes to Baker Street.  (Normally I would check Ariane Devere's transcript, but she has a new indexing system, and I haven't been able to find anything lately.)  Near as I recall, he's talking about something else at the time, so you may have been distracted.

I was trying to watch closely but it looks like I missed an obvious one Carol.

On 3/20/2021 at 2:03 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

They did at some point (presumably in Pink) show Sherlock stabbing some letters onto the mantel with the knife....

Finally found Ariane Devere's transcript of Pink [link]:

SHERLOCK: So I went straight ahead and moved in.
JOHN (simultaneously): Soon as we get all this rubbish cleaned out ... Oh.
(He pauses, embarrassed, when he realises what Sherlock was saying.)
JOHN: So this is all ...
SHERLOCK: Well, obviously I can, um, straighten things up a bit.
(He walks across the room and makes a half-hearted attempt to tidy up a little, throwing a couple of folders into a box and then taking some apparently unopened envelopes across to the fireplace where he puts them onto the mantelpiece and then stabs a multi tool knife into them....

So there was indeed quite a lot going on at the time.

Finally stopped trying to make heads or tails of Ariane Devere's new main page on Dreamwidth, and found that she still has her complete Sherlock index (including transcripts of episodes) on her main LiveJournal page, the third red-subtitled section down,  here.  (Oddly enough, those red subtitles aren't terribly readable on my monitor.)  Gonna bookmark that!

Ok, prepare yourself for my nomination for the most tenuous link.....

The number on Jeff Hope’s badge was 71126.

Split the number 7-11-26.

So, 7th November 1926.

Anyone born on this day is a Scorpio.

The zodiac gemstone for Scorpio is......Beryl.

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you.......The Beryl Coronet.👍😃

• Like 1
  • Tongue 1

Or, at the risk of the very valid question being asked “How much time does Herlock have on his hands?”

7 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 6 = 17

How many stairs leading up to 221B?

😃👍

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

The number on Jeff Hope’s badge was 71126.

Split the number 7-11-26.

So, 7th November 1926.

Anyone born on this day is a Scorpio.

The zodiac gemstone for Scorpio is......Beryl.

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you.......The Beryl Coronet.

... or it could be an even more tenuous nod to the head writer's mother-in-law!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

... or it could be an even more tenuous nod to the head writer's mother-in-law!

I’ll check😃

For anyone who didn't know, Steven Moffat is married to Sue Vertue, daughter of executive producer Beryl Vertue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

For anyone who didn't know, Steven Moffat is married to Sue Vertue, daughter of executive producer Beryl Vertue.

I thought you were joking Carol. I’d certainly never heard of Beryl Vertue.

She's quite the grand dame of British television production.  [link]

Of course I would never have heard of her if her company was not producing Sherlock!

13 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I thought you were joking Carol. I’d certainly never heard of Beryl Vertue.

I guess you haven't seen any of the bonus features for Sherlock, then?  Beryl was heavily featured in some of the interview segments, along with daughter Sue (Mrs. Moffat), who was more involved in the day-to-day on set as a producer.  Their son Louis, a personable young man who seems to have inherited the paternal hair gene starred in some of the bonus features, too.

The term beryl is not commonly used in the States, to my knowledge, and I studied gemstones for a Christmas temp job selling fine jewelry at Macy's.  So I googled it.

https://geology.com/minerals/beryl.shtml

My impression, from the SH story description was that 'beryl' was 'aquamarine', but there seem to be  variety of colors.

November's  (Scorpio) birthstone that I'm familiar with is the topaz (tiger eye), or alternatively, citrine.  Maybe citrine is a variant of beryl?

Mine is the opal (moonstone) or tourmaline.  It's pretty, I guess, but I've never cared for it much.  They are very soft stones, which makes them a poor choice for a ring, and they need special care.

Since you're a guy, you may not really know the answer to this but it seems to me like in England and other countries (Japan), it is a common custom to give a bride her birthstone as an engagement ring rather than strictly diamonds.   We've got Queen Victoria to thank for the tradition of white wedding gowns.  She wore white at her wedding and ever since, it has been copied as the color for brides.  But her birthday was in May (emerald),  not June (diamond).  So I wonder where the diamond custom came from.  Diamonds are incredibly hard, expressing durability of marriage, I suppose, and also being the most valuable, money-wise, became the most desirable for engagement rings. 

Your stone is the blue topaz or turquoise.  Nice!  In my family we've got a topaz, amethyst, opal, 2 blue topaz and an aquamarine.

52 minutes ago, Hikari said:

I guess you haven't seen any of the bonus features for Sherlock, then?  Beryl was heavily featured in some of the interview segments, along with daughter Sue (Mrs. Moffat), who was more involved in the day-to-day on set as a producer.  Their son Louis, a personable young man who seems to have inherited the paternal hair gene starred in some of the bonus features, too.

The term beryl is not commonly used in the States, to my knowledge, and I studied gemstones for a Christmas temp job selling fine jewelry at Macy's.  So I googled it.

https://geology.com/minerals/beryl.shtml

My impression, from the SH story description was that 'beryl' was 'aquamarine', but there seem to be  variety of colors.

November's  (Scorpio) birthstone that I'm familiar with is the topaz (tiger eye), or alternatively, citrine.  Maybe citrine is a variant of beryl?

Mine is the opal (moonstone) or tourmaline.  It's pretty, I guess, but I've never cared for it much.  They are very soft stones, which makes them a poor choice for a ring, and they need special care.

Since you're a guy, you may not really know the answer to this but it seems to me like in England and other countries (Japan), it is a common custom to give a bride her birthstone as an engagement ring rather than strictly diamonds.   We've got Queen Victoria to thank for the tradition of white wedding gowns.  She wore white at her wedding and ever since, it has been copied as the color for brides.  But her birthday was in May (emerald),  not June (diamond).  So I wonder where the diamond custom came from.  Diamonds are incredibly hard, expressing durability of marriage, I suppose, and also being the most valuable, money-wise, became the most desirable for engagement rings. 

Your stone is the blue topaz or turquoise.  Nice!  In my family we've got a topaz, amethyst, opal, 2 blue topaz and an aquamarine.

You assume that because I’m a man that wouldn’t know this😵

You’re absolutely correct of course😃

Its certainly not something I’ve paid any attention too I’m afraid Hikari but according to Wiki, before Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee the diamond was associated with the 75th anniversary. Considering life expectancy in those days I have to ask how many actually reached a 75th anniversary? 

1 hour ago, Hikari said:

You're correct.  According to Wikipedia [link]:

Beryl (/ˈbɛrəl/ BERR-əl) is a mineral composed of beryllium aluminium cyclosilicate with the chemical formula Be3Al2Si6O18.[5] Well-known varieties of beryl include emerald and aquamarine.

Now we all know!  Citrine is not a form of beryl, however, but rather a type of quartz, so apparently birthstones are not necessarily the same on both sides of the Atlantic.

1 hour ago, Hikari said:

Their son Louis, a personable young man who seems to have inherited the paternal hair gene starred in some of the bonus features, too.

He has also played two roles in Sherlock:  the voice of the frightened boy that Sherlock rescues by identifying the Van Buren Supernova in the fake painting. and Mycroft's vision of tearful young Sherlock near the end of His Last Vow.

2 hours ago, Hikari said:

Ain't it the truth!  It's not my birthstone, but a boyfriend gave me an opal ring once.  It was beautiful, but a real pain.  Had to be stored in water or it would apparently lose its beauty.  And because it's such a soft stone, the prongs holding it in the ring could not really be tightened, so whenever my hand brushed against anything, the stone fell out.  Consequently, I hardly ever wore it.  Much to my relief, a burglar finally stole it.

• Haha 1

Beryl Vertue is also seen in the Pilot along with Arwel Wyn Jones.

Also: "You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive" became "Afghanistan or Iraq?"

On 3/21/2021 at 11:57 AM, HerlockSholmes said:

You just won the Phillip Anderson Prize for connecting the loose threads. I'm impressed.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:40 PM, HerlockSholmes said:

I’ve been to Bart’s and saw the Sherlock grafitto plastered everywhere. I wish I could have gone inside on a tour but I didn’t have time. I wanted to see the plaque.

There was a plaque? There were tours? O_O

28 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Also: "You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive" became "Afghanistan or Iraq?"

You just won the Phillip Anderson Prize for connecting the loose threads. I'm impressed.

There was a plaque? There were tours? O_O

I didn’t get to go inside J.P. I was on a London Walking tour which just happened to stop next to the Hospital. There’s a Bart’s Museum and they do tours by Ive never done one. They have a plaque inside commemorating the meeting between Holmes and Watson.

https://www.london-walking-tours.co.uk/secret-london/holmes-watson-plaque.htm

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Right -- I posted a screencap of that scene a few years ago, [here].  Her out-of-focus face is visible just above John's right shoulder, and he is just to the right of Mike's face.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2021 at 8:38 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Right -- I posted a screencap of that scene a few years ago, [here].  Her out-of-focus face is visible just above John's right shoulder, and he is just to the right of Mike's face.

😵 How on Earth did you remember where that was posted? I can barely remember where I leave my toothbrush.......