The last mayor of London is now PM...but that's just coincidence.

I have lost track of this discussion a bit.

But as I understand it, the city mayor is chosen from councillors.

But the other mayor can be anybody, e.g Laurence was an actor!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

OK, thanks!  That sounds about like how things are here, as regards different parties controlling different areas.

Putting together your last few posts, it appears that in order to become Lord Mayor, one must have been elected as councillor in an actual election, and from there on you're chosen by your fellows.  So it's kind of like becoming Prime Minister?

Similar. You have to have occupied a position which required you being elected by the public (councillor) to be made an Alderman or Sheriff and then Lord Mayor. If the Prime Minister decides to step down then it’s his own party who votes on who becomes the next party leader and PM. They aren’t required to hold an election but the opposition parties would undoubtedly call for one claiming that the new PM had no mandate. The PM will then ignore them and carry on.

Its all tactical. When Tony Blair stood down and Gordon Brown was elected Labour Party leader and PM many of his advisors advised him to call a General Election. The Tories were weak at the time and he was personally popular. He chickened out. Then when he was actually  obliged to call one he’d lost popularity and the Tories were in a stronger position. He lost. If he’d have called one when he was advised to he would almost certainly have won and had 2 more years in office with a chance to rebuild his popularity.

15 hours ago, besleybean said:

The last mayor of London is now PM...but that's just coincidence.

I have lost track of this discussion a bit.

But as I understand it, the city mayor is chosen from councillors.

But the other mayor can be anybody, e.g Laurence was an actor!

That right. When the Lord Mayor is chosen hardly anyone will have heard of him. If you go to London now and ask people who is the Mayor a fair few will name Sadie Khan. Ask them who the Lord Mayor is and you’ll see shoulders being shrugged. I’d take a guess that many people wouldn’t be aware that there are 2 mayors.

Hope people don't think I'm obsessive, but if we can at least get names right:

Sadiq Khan.

27 minutes ago, besleybean said:

Hope people don't think I'm obsessive, but if we can at least get names right:

Sadiq Khan.

I hate auto-correct. I should have checked before clicking ‘submit reply.’ 

I post on another site where one of the true crime cases that we discuss has a character called Parry which auto-correct tends to change to Party. I’m forever having to Edit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I hate auto-correct.

There's generally some way to turn it off.  You come here via your phone, right?  Do you have a browser on it?

I use my iPad mainly. Occasionally my phone which is android.

I don't have an iPad, but I do have an Android.  I generally use the Chrome browser, which has its own options, but if I go to the phone's own Settings, Personal, and select Language and Input, there's a place to select or deselect the Google spell checker.  I have it selected, but these days I hardly ever use my phone for the forum, mostly just for looking things up, in which case auto-correct is usually convenient.  As I recall, when I was using my phone for just about everything, I had it de-selected.

Sorry I can't be of more help!