The Curious Case of James Moriarty and James Moriarty

CSIBakerStreet

But on the other hand, Sherlock's Irene Adler never sang an aria for us.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember Irene Adler singing for Sherlock Holmes either?  They knew she had been a famous singer, but did they ever actually hear her?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that in canon, one of Holmes's grandmothers was a Vernet. He didn't say which one, but I'd guess Grandma Holmes (since it sounded to me like he was talking about the Holmes family) -- so nothing at all to do with Mummy, in that case. I'm virtually certain that no episode has mentioned Mummy's family, and I don't recall anything like that from a commentary, either.

I was watching one of the episodes, and Holmes was on the floor scattering loads of paper about, and he mentioned his Grandmother's name being Vernet.

• 1 month later...

You have to ask yourself where the Moriarty twins got their brilliance from. Couldn't have been from their mum and dad. What sort of idiot calls their sons by the same name?

Well, look at Sherlock and Mycroft's parents - they're ordinary and, honestly, seem a bit dull, yet their children are arguably the two most genius men in Britain. Aside from Professor Moriarty and other genius villains that they have to face and overcome, of course.

• Like 1

Well, look at Sherlock and Mycroft's parents - they're ordinary and, honestly, seem a bit dull, yet their children are arguably the two most genius men in Britain.

Mummy seems to a mathematics, genius giving up some kind of carrier "for the children".

• 4 weeks later...

But on the other hand, Sherlock's Irene Adler never sang an aria for us.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember Irene Adler singing for Sherlock Holmes either?  They knew she had been a famous singer, but did they ever actually hear her?

In canon, he never heard her, but in the Granada version, he heard her practicing when he was in his first disguise.  I love Brett in that disguise!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

2.  According to page 56 of Sherlock: The Casebook, Jim's IT business is called "Dynamic Asteroid," an obvious nod to the Professor's paper, "The Dynamics of an Asteroid" (the title of which was semi-borrowed by "Last Vow" for Mummy's book -- and I suspect we'll be hearing more about that "coincidence"!).

Did we ever?

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Galgatean said:

i read a really good novel where Moriarty was the hero, can't remember what it was called though. It's not a Conan Doyle book, very entertaining though. 

I’m wondering if it was one of a series of 5 books by Michael Kurland which have Moriarty as a more benign criminal mastermind who only commits crime to finance his scientific research. He helps people too and even saves Holmes life. Holmes is a bit rigid in these books though. To him a criminal is a criminal and Moriarty should be behind bars.

Kurland wrote 5 books and I loved them and wish that he’d write another. I don’t know if these titles ring any bells?

Who Thinks Evil

The Infernal Device

The Great Game

The Empress Of India

Death By Gaslight

I highly recommend these books. Never thought I’d find myself cheering Moriarty on😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Galgatean said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MLDU676/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Found it - great read, as was Anno Dracula, also by Kim Newman, which also featured Sherlock Holmes!

I haven’t read that one but I do have Anno Dracula.