Una Stubbs RIP

bedelia1984

Sky news

Really sorry to hear this. She was a wonderful lady and talent and brought so much to the show. Her Mrs. Hudson was a gem!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Gutted...

Feeling bad enough anyway, today.

Just found out my sister's housemate(and ex-partner) has breast cancer.

Had a very distressed mother on the phone.

Apparently my sister is in pieces, I will phone her afterwards.

• Like 1

Besleybean I'm very sorry to hear about your friend also. I hope she can get the best treatment possible and make a good recovery. It's good that you are looking after your sister too.

Interesting that was how you replied...

I phoned my sister about her housemate, only to find out our mutual friend has breast cancer as well.

Anyhow, sis had calmed down a bit.

She had phoned Mum immediately and obviously it was  all a bit of a shock...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bedelia1984 said:

Sky news

Really sorry to hear this. She was a wonderful lady and talent and brought so much to the show. Her Mrs. Hudson was a gem!

Thank you for including that link, Bedelia.  It's good to know that her family was with her when she passed.  I haven't seen any cause of death mentioned yet, but this BBC article does quote her agent as saying that she had been ill for a few months.

2 hours ago, besleybean said:

I phoned my sister about her housemate, only to find out our mutual friend has breast cancer as well.

That's rough news, Besley, but do bear in mind that cancer isn't necessarily a death sentence.  I've lost numerous friends and relatives to it, yes, but I also know a number of people who have survived assorted cancers and are in good health years later with no sign of recurrence.

As a survivor myself, one of the worst parts was "the look" that people gave me -- like being at my own funeral.  I know it's tough, but please try not to treat your friends as "goners."  A mix of sympathy and quiet confidence is ideal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've just learned that Ms. Una Stubbs didn't know her father's parents. Her grandmother Annie was an illegitimate child and had a child in a workhouse in 1908! Could it be her father? No idea, but he was born in 1908. Her mother was Irish. Una means lamb in Irish and Latin in unity. Does anyone know more? It's not a typical UK name like your Anne Smith. Of course it's lovely, but it's unique. I'd associate it with Italy or Romania using logic, not England. I remember when Sherlock said that famous quote it was Christmas and he was eating mince pies in the 2012 episode. He took one out of the fridge, with white icing! Not sure about her father's orgins.

Almost everyone is paying tribute. Moffat and Gatiss are devastated, but Cumberbatch may be more upset as he knew the actress as a child. Couldn't see any message from Martin Freeman, though.  What will happen now? I posted a few months ago that maybe a new season will be out in 2023. It must be in my profile. There's a list of what I posted perhaps.  What a sad story. For consolation I may say the lady died before Friday 13, which is tomorrow from a European perspective.

6 hours ago, Kat said:

Una means lamb in Irish and Latin in unity. Does anyone know more?

I didn't know about the Irish meaning, but yes, in Latin Una means "one."

The actress who played Jeanette (John's girlfriend who doesn't have a dog) in Scandal, was Oona Chaplin, granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin and Oona O'Neill.  I assume that the name Oona is a variation of Una, indicating a preference for the classical Latin "oo" pronunciation.  As I recall, though, Ms. Stubbs' name is pronounced in the Anglicized way, "yoona."

6 hours ago, Kat said:

Couldn't see any message from Martin Freeman, though. 

MF doesn't do social media, so any comments from him would presumably come later on, in interviews.

4 hours ago, J.P. said:

I'd read that she was, but hadn't seen any images, so thanks for the link!

Her works remind me a bit of James Thurber's drawing style, but happy rather than snarky.  Having one of her works on your wall would surely brighten your day!

• Like 1

-I just learned Una got a tribute from Paul Weller...lucky girl!

-Writing a card/note for my pal.

A fellow Sherlock enthusiast friend informed me of this sad news last night via a text message and it has cast a pall since.  Una was a few months younger than my mother, both born in 1937.  Based on the last photos of her taken in December 2019, she did not look well, a marked contrast from the vibrant lady pictured just a few years prior.   Perusing the photos of her earlier career amongst the many tributes that have been pouring in, I see that smile was always the same, and she was a real dish!

Una's characterization of Mrs. Hudson will go down in the annuals of Sherlockiana as one of the very best.  She gave the landlady of Baker Street real humanity, wit, acerbity and moxie.  As Stephan Moffat so eloquently put it:  the brightest light in Baker Street has gone out.  May it shine out brightly forever in an even better place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sad news indeed. She was a talented lady and a brilliant Mrs Hudson. I’m not a religious man but I’d like to think of her meeting up with Rosalie Williams, Mary Gordon, Irene Handl, Minnie Rayner and all those other Mrs Hudson’s for tea and cakes to exchange stories about their troublesome tenant and his friend.🙂

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2021 at 3:33 PM, HerlockSholmes said:

Sad news indeed. She was a talented lady and a brilliant Mrs Hudson. I’m not a religious man but I’d like to think of her meeting up with Rosalie Williams, Mary Gordon, Irene Handl, Minnie Rayner and all those other Mrs Hudson’s for tea and cakes to exchange stories about their troublesome tenant and his friend.🙂

I love the picture of Una taking tea and dishing about the Troublesome Tenant with the other Mrs. Hudsons . . including the 'real' one, I presume.

The Troublesome Tenant is not with them because he is still tending bees near Eastbourne and doing unspecified tasks on Her Majesty's secret service.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to thank Carol for giving us all valuable information in her reply to my comments. Some of the things she wrote about were new to me like Charlie's Chaplin's descendants and painting. I found some time to look here now. Kabul has made ma devastated as well some 'domestic' issues with Belarus. I was hoping MF would say something in an interview or give a brief remark to a competent journalist, who is sensitive about a death and  is not running after sensations.

He did comment on Una...maybe if you Google it? Not on Afghanistan, I mean, why would he?

1 hour ago, besleybean said:

He did comment on Una...maybe if you Google it? Not on Afghanistan, I mean, why would he?

Thanks for that info, Bev.  I'm on a new phone that I haven't yet gotten the hang of, so am hoping that Kat or someone will post a link to his remarks about Ms. Stubbs.

As for his thoughts on Afghanistan (or anything else), he generally seems willing to speak his mind -- if a reporter happens to ask.

Thanks besleybean, lovely to read what Martin had to say. It's cool that Una was respected for her art as well as her acting. That cast were so magical together, it must have been a fun time on set.

• Like 1

I was sad when I heard this bad news. Una was a good actress and I think her "Mme Hudson" is the best, she brought kindness, humanity and humor to Baker Street ! 

RIP ... 

• 3 months later...

Thank you for posting this, I had read it, but then couldn't find it again to post!

I was sitting just behind Una and the Moffats, when I saw Martin in theatre.

I excitedly shouted "Oh my God, there's Una Stubbs" and half of the theatre were on there feet, trying to look, too...

They missed my adding: oh and Sue, oh and Steven, too!

At the curtain call, Martin pointed right over to Una and was shouting and winking at her!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 9:12 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I just came across a much longer remembrance by Martin Freeman, here.

That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.

• Like 2