In one episode do Sherlock and John both see Mary's ghost at the same time or does she appear to them separately?

Sorry if this isn't the right category, but since ghosts appear in numerous adaptations of the Canon and quite a few stories by Conan Doyle I put this question here. You may move it elsewhere if it's possible.

What I mean is the scene when Sherlock's phone buzzes with the Irene Adler sound. John clearly sees Mary's ghost at one point, but does Sherlock see her too at the same time? Not in my view. The camera implies each man sees her alone even if the other man is in the same room at the exact moment. She tells them both things, but when Mary talks to Sherlock John can't hear or see her and vice versa, correct?  I thought she appears to each man in turn. Sherlock sees her, but then John can't see her talking to Sherlock even though he's in the same room. They never see or hear her both at the same time, right? Does anyone have another opinion?

Ghosts in films appear to a group of people, but they may appear to important people in their lives individually. Obviously Mary is one ghost, she doesn't multiply as an entity. This isn't a zombie or whatever interpretation.  Sorry if this sounds confusing. Hopefully I've been clear and if not you can ask.

@Kat-- I moved this thread after reading only to the first comma, assuming that you had been unable to find this part of the forum.  But since you don't really get into Doyle's ghost stories (and since I don't recall that any of them had a real ghost anyhow), this would seem to be the appropriate area, so I didn't bother to move the thread back after reading the rest of your post.

You've posed an interesting question, and hopefully people who've watched those episodes more recently than I will have some input.

• Thanks 1

I meant suppositions of ghosts rather or mysterious apparitions that are mentioned in the stories, but I'm not against you moving the question.

Hey Kat, interesting question indeed. 

My intpretation of Mary's appearance in The Lying Detective is that she isn't a ghost at all, rather a figment of John's imagination. He's so upset by her death that a part of him simply refuses to acknowledge she's gone and projects a mental image of her back into his life. Not a hallucination exactly but the fantasy seems to be extremely intense and bordering on pathological. 

When Sherlock "sees" and talks to her too, I take that to mean he has deduced what's going on with John and simply accepted it in a spirit of "it's ok to not be ok". 

What does everyone else think? 

• Like 1

This is exactly what my interpretation is. Sherlock noticed that John sees Mary (or senses her, or just leads an inner dialogue with a part of his psyche that escapes his control) and acknownledges this.

Or just shows off to impress John. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1