[The Adventure of the Dancing Men]What is the final code?

fauve

Hello people.  I am new to this forum :)

I make a font of the dancing men stick figures, thi ones:

346px-Dancing_men.svg.png 

So, I am sure for the letters AEGHIMOPRST but I wonder if there is a full table of correspondences.

I find in the web this one:

dansrecap.gif

And this other:

ubHFetnA.jpg

But, 1) the letter C is different because in the first table only the left hands it up, when in the second table both of them are up. 2) The second table have more defined letters.

I ask only of the letters defined in the original Sir Arthur Conan Doyle work. If he let some letter blank, I need to know it.

Thank you in anticipation :)

Hello, fauve -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!   :welcome:

I'm reasonably certain that you're correct, not all the letters were revealed in the original story.  I recall seeing a chart in some movie or TV adaptation of the story, probably the Jeremy Brett version, but I have no idea whether all the letters were filled in, or whether they were all from the original story (or if some had been made up).

It's possible that Conan Doyle published a complete list elsewhere, eventually.  If so, one of our Holmes experts may be able to tell us about it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/22/2021 at 4:15 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hello, fauve -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!   :welcome:

I'm reasonably certain that you're correct, not all the letters were revealed in the original story.  I recall seeing a chart in some movie or TV adaptation of the story, probably the Jeremy Brett version, but I have no idea whether all the letters were filled in, or whether they were all from the original story (or if some had been made up).

It's possible that Conan Doyle published a complete list elsewhere, eventually.  If so, one of our Holmes experts may be able to tell us about it.

Hello Carol, I hope that you’re well? (Along with everyone else on here of course)

I certainly wouldn’t consider myself anything close to an expert but as far as I know Doyle never wrote anything about his Dancing Men figures. In the series Brett solved the message (of course) but I seem to recall a letter or two being left out but the message was obvious. From memory I think that the final message was something like “Elsie prepare to meet thy God?” With letters missing.

Doyle wasn’t one for worrying too much about the details as long as the story was a good one.🙂👍

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I hope that you’re well? (Along with everyone else on here of course)

Good heavens, has it really been almost three months since your previous post?

I guess your posts tend to be so meaty that they last a long time!

It’s been a while Carol for no other reason that any time I’ve spent online has been debating endlessly on the subject of JTR. Basically going around in circles.😀

Still no hints about a new series of Sherlock though? I think that the only things that we can call ‘in the pipeline’ are a new RDJ movie and (perhaps only of interest to me) the eventual release of the remastered Eille Norwood silent movies. All is quie on the Holmes/Sherlock front sadly.

18 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

any time I’ve spent online has been debating endlessly on the subject of JTR. Basically going around in circles.😀

Still haven't identified ol' Jack, eh?  Is there a school of thought that he was basically a bunch of copycats?

20 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Still no hints about a new series of Sherlock though?

Nope.  Just a few clumsily-contrived rumors now and then.

Over 150 suggested ‘suspects’ so far Carol and some do think that there was more than one killer. The likeliest is that he was someone who’s never been mentioned. Some butchers assistant from Bethnal Green or a Whitechapel Carpenter that no one’s ever heard of and probably never will. Even for the unlikeliest of suspects it’s impossible to categorically exonerate them so those that propose them often tend to stick to their guns.

Yes I heard a bit of talk about Sherlock but it was basically those involved saying that it might happen given the right circumstances. Whether those circumstances ever occur are another matter of course. I’m beginning to have my doubts. There was even talk of a one off episode which might be more likely and more convenient for Cumberbatch and Freeman (unless their popularity dips of course then I’d suggest that they might jump at the chance.)

5 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I heard a bit of talk about Sherlock but it was basically those involved saying that it might happen given the right circumstances.

Exactly.  The word "might" seems to figure prominently in statements by anyone who would actually know.

I used to assume a new series but now I’m not so sure. I could see a one off movie type episode of course. That said, I wonder if they’ve ever considered an actual Sherlock the Movie.

I nearly typed Sherlock the Musical and that wouldn’t surprise me (not with BC though I wouldn’t have thought unless he wanted to emulate Brett in My Fair Lady?)

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I nearly typed Sherlock the Musical

We already have a thread with that title [here], if you'd like to have a look.

(not with BC though I wouldn’t have thought unless he wanted to emulate Brett in My Fair Lady?)

As mentioned in the aforementioned thread, even though Brett was a professional singer, they dubbed his singing in MFL.   :blink:

I used to assume a new series but now I’m not so sure.

I've given up assuming -- but I haven't given up.

35 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

even though Brett was a professional singer, they dubbed his singing in [My Fair Lady].

Just found this video online, wherein Mr. Brett himself talks a bit about that, as well as Audrey Hepburn being dubbed (and shows just a bit of her actual rendition of "Wouldn't It Be Loverly?")  There's also a contrast between the restored and unrestored film toward the end.

Not sure where this is from, but would suspect it's from a DVD or Blu-ray of the restored film.

• Like 1