The Electrical Life of Louis Wain

DistantView

Anyone catch this yet?

Having been a mild fan of the artist when I was a child, combined with Cumberbatch being in the film I guess I had some expectations, but it was a bit of a letdown for me.

It wasn't one of Benedict's better performances, in my opinion,  and the film seemed disjointed and meandering... plus there weren't really enough cats on display. 

6/10 rating is my verdict. Certainly not bad, but far from outstanding. 

...now I wait for Power of the Dog,  which I (probably unfortunately) have greater expectations for.

8 hours ago, DistantView said:

there weren't really enough cats on display. 

Seems odd, considering that Wain's specialty was cat illustrations.  Obviously the movie is about the man, not the cats per se -- but still.

I haven't seen it, doubt that I will.  Just doesn't sound like my kind of movie, despite the cat theme.

Yeah, same for me actually... not really my kind of film, save the cats and Cumberbatch,  that is. I did read something beforehand that touted the cats and really,  you'd think with this particular biopic they'd have worked the cats in more. They're difficult to direct because the feline attention span leaves something to be desired,  but leaving a cat to its own devices has led to some great footage in other films,  so not impossible either. 

Eh... on to Power of the Dog. I like Campion already anyway, so higher hopes. 

A friend has invited me to her house to watch this (soon, I assume). I have to admit, I don't have high expectations, and maybe that's a good thing. But we're both artists and cat lovers (and she knows I'm a huuuuge BC fan) so we can't resist giving it a whirl.

I did see a trailer for it recently, and it did seem rather quiet and sweet, which is right up my alley these days. So I'll let you know how it goes. Hope I stay awake for it; I fell asleep on the last two movies I tried to watch.... 🙄

• Like 1