The Power of The Dog

besleybean

As usual, I have to begin by apologising.

I am sorry, I do find this forum so user unfriendly, for finding where to put things!

Anyhow: saw it last night.

A dark, brooding film that left me thinking.

Beautufully shot and excellent performances.

Wasn't really what I expected, but not necesarily a bad thing!

I guess it's about dysfuntional people and their damaged lives.

Hits Netflix 1 December.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, besleybean said:

I do find this forum so user unfriendly, for finding where to put things!

I've taken the liberty of moving your new thread to the BBC Sherlock / Cast & Crew area, since the star of the film is Benedict Cumberbatch.

I know it's sometimes difficult to figure out where to put things.  If you have any suggestions for making it easier, please let us know.  All suggestions are welcome!

2 hours ago, besleybean said:

my other forum is so much clearer.

You mean, the way they list the sub-sub-categories right on the main index page?  (Whereas this forum lists only the sub-categories, and then you need to go to each one in order to see what's in it.)

On 11/20/2021 at 1:46 AM, besleybean said:

A dark, brooding film that left me thinking.

Beautufully shot and excellent performances.

...sounds good to me! No, haven't seen it yet, but I will be tuning in pronto once it's on Netflix/available. Like I said in the Louis Wain thread I have higher hopes for this one vs. Wain. The darker and more thought-provoking material appeals to me more; good to hear the performances were strong and that you liked it. 👍

No you didn't,  but the adjectives you used led me to believe that you appreciated it anyway.

BTW. just read that those unfiltered cigarettes C had to smoke were actual nicotine and not fakes. Blegh. Hope he's able to retain his health. 

Thank you for your latter comments.

I was absolutely raging on social media, when I heard of the nicotine poisoning.

Totally irresponsible of the film company, as far as I am concerned.

Benedict gave up smoking for Sophie.

4 hours ago, DistantView said:

those unfiltered cigarettes C had to smoke were actual nicotine and not fakes.

Even fakes (assuming you mean herbal) would contribute to lung damage (which is caused by the "tar" in smoke).  But you're right, at least they wouldn't contribute to addiction.

16 hours ago, besleybean said:

Thank you for your latter comments.

I was absolutely raging on social media, when I heard of the nicotine poisoning.

Totally irresponsible of the film company, as far as I am concerned.

Benedict gave up smoking for Sophie.

I thought of the bolded when I read that interview excerpt. He quit smoking for his wife (and for himself, I assume), was required to smoke (actual unfiltered cigs) and said he gave himself (or very nearly) nicotine poisoning 3 times on set. Yeesh. Not enough money in the world could make me act through that. I'd puke.

13 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Even fakes (assuming you mean herbal) would contribute to lung damage (which is caused by the "tar" in smoke).  But you're right, at least they wouldn't contribute to addiction.

I'd have to think that regular cigarettes are more damaging than herbal, depending on what's actually in the herbal (and that could be a problem right there, with unknown contaminants, etc.). Nicotine apparently goes much deep into the lung fields than some of the other smoked 'herbals', which reach the bronchioles, but not infiltrate the actual lungs. From what I've read anyway... research is always ongoing of course. :)

27 minutes ago, DistantView said:

Not enough money in the world could make me act through that. I'd puke.

I tried smoking once -- got through a cigarette and a half, and then I literally did puke.  Like a lot of things, it tasted even worse on the way back up, which cured me once and for all.

23 minutes ago, DistantView said:

I'd have to think that regular cigarettes are more damaging than herbal, depending on what's actually in the herbal (and that could be a problem right there, with unknown contaminants, etc.). Nicotine apparently goes much deep into the lung fields than some of the other smoked 'herbals', which reach the bronchioles, but not infiltrate the actual lungs. From what I've read anyway... research is always ongoing of course.

True.  But it's my understanding that nicotine does its work via the blood (which is why nicotine chewing gum works, even though you don't inhale it).  Nicotine makes you addicted, whereas it's other stuff in the smoke that damages your lungs.  You're presumably right, some smoke would be more damaging than other types, but I don't know whether any studies have been done to determine what's worse.  It'd be hard to find enough people who smoke a lot of anything other than tobacco and marijuana, for one thing.  I wonder if the effects of those two things have been compared?

3 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

True.  But it's my understanding that nicotine does its work via the blood (which is why nicotine chewing gum works, even though you don't inhale it).  Nicotine makes you addicted, whereas it's other stuff in the smoke that damages your lungs.  You're presumably right, some smoke would be more damaging than other types, but I don't know whether any studies have been done to determine what's worse.  It'd be hard to find enough people who smoke a lot of anything other than tobacco and marijuana, for one thing.  I wonder if the effects of those two things have been compared?

Yes, you're right about the nicotine causing the addiction and the tar and other stuff in the cigs is what infiltrates the lungs.

Marijuana is the one that's been researched the most, and that's mainly what I was referring to above.  It doesn't penetrate into the lungs the way tobacco does. Doesn't mean it can't cause problems though... 

... either which way= blegh! on the requirement to smoke for a role. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DistantView said:

Marijuana is the one that's been researched the most, and that's mainly what I was referring to above.  It doesn't penetrate into the lungs the way tobacco does.

Thanks, I hadn't heard that.  Still, if you're going to use either marijuana or tobacco/nicotine, probably best to get it as chewing gum, brownies, or the like.  That wouldn't work in a movie, though!

Part of me would like to see this movie based on the things I've been hearing about Ben's performance; but most of me doesn't want to go near it, as I don't want to subject myself to the subject matter. I don't know when I became so hyper-sensitive, but I have real trouble dealing with cruelty, bullying, etc. in the performing arts. I'm sure I've missed a lot of quality work, but there you go.

I did manage to see a couple clips of both this and the upcoming Spiderman movie, and will say that Ben's American accent has improved. :smile:  On the whole, though, I think I'd rather watch Louis Wain. Although I'm worried I'll be bothered by what I assume will be references to mental illness. I really am much too sensitive these days.... 😬

36 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I have real trouble dealing with cruelty, bullying, etc. in the performing arts.

Used to be, I'd go see all the "big" films as soon as they hit the theaters.  But then I went through a trying time and found that I had lost my tolerance for an awful lot of what was passing for "entertainment" then.  Even now there are a lot of things I don't enjoy watching, and if I don't enjoy it, then what's the point of watching?

Funny thing is, I can watch murder mysteries just fine (as long as the murder itself isn't supposed to be the attraction), but I refuse to watch anything where cruelty to animals is supposed to be funny.

Thank goodness for DVDs, because I'm no longer limited to the current crop.

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Used to be, I'd go see all the "big" films as soon as they hit the theaters.  But then I went through a trying time and found that I had lost my tolerance for an awful lot of what was passing for "entertainment" then.  Even now there are a lot of things I don't enjoy watching, and if I don't enjoy it, then what's the point of watching?

Funny thing is, I can watch murder mysteries just fine (as long as the murder itself isn't supposed to be the attraction), but I refuse to watch anything where cruelty to animals is supposed to be funny.

Thank goodness for DVDs, because I'm no longer limited to the current crop.

Ditto.

I also can't watch movies/tv shows where animals are killed or in peril. I used to enjoy nature documentaries, until they started focusing on the savagery of nature instead of the beauty of it. (Or so it seemed to me.) Maybe that's why I mostly enjoy animated movies; they depict a kinder, gentler world than "adult" films. I think. I haven't even seen much of those lately; I've gotten out of the habit, I think.

Yes there are warnings about animal cruelty on this, it isn't nice.

But it's also more complex than that and even relevant to the story...

But really, what people do to each other is at least as bad...

I mean I think it's good to remain sensitive to any atrocities, along as we we don't cower in fear.

But we need to keep a sense of perspective.

We very definitely need not to lose ourselves in the modern world.

Here in the UK I had yet anothe nudge to remember how awful both Brexit and the Pandemic have made the country...

but I try to rise above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I used to enjoy nature documentaries, until they started focusing on the savagery of nature instead of the beauty of it. (Or so it seemed to me.) Maybe that's why I mostly enjoy animated movies; they depict a kinder, gentler world than "adult" films.

You might want to skip Bambi, though.  And Dumbo.

16 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Thanks, I hadn't heard that.  Still, if you're going to use either marijuana or tobacco/nicotine, probably best to get it as chewing gum, brownies, or the like.  That wouldn't work in a movie, though!

😄 This makes me envision Benedict eating a space cake on set as opposed to smoking... yeah, not quote the same thing!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, besleybean said:

Yes there are warnings about animal cruelty on this, it isn't nice.

But it's also more complex than that and evn relevant to the story...

But really, what people do to each other is at least as bad...

I mean I think it's good to remain sensitive to any atrocities, along as we we don't cower in fear.

But we need to keep a sense of perspective.

We very definitely need not to lose ourselves in the modern world.

Here in the UK I had yet anothe nudge to remember how awful both Brexit and the Pandemic have made the country...

but I try to rise above.

This is a good post about not losing perspective, especially in today's world which, although technically far less violent than times past, is getting less and less tolerant and thus, seemingly more cruel and nasty.

I'm also sorry to hear about the effect of Brexit on the UK. I had suspected that, but have not yet heard anyone living in the UK come right out and say it so bluntly. I'm friends with several people in England from another board and we mostly keep quiet about politics, etc. on that board, but I imagine they feel the same. The UK is one option I'm considering for future emigration, but I think it's going to be really difficult and Brexit is partly why.

@Arcadia I can understand the sensitivity to cruelty and brutality in film. I still have the cojones in terms of watching that stuff, but it's quickly waning, which makes me think that age (on my part anyway) is a factor. When I was younger I'd watch any horror film put before me, and I watched some stuff that was exceedingly grim and harsh.... can't do that now, not that it gives me nightmares I just don't have the stomach for it

On 11/24/2021 at 2:35 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

You might want to skip Bambi, though.  And Dumbo.

Oh lord. When I was a tot both of those films shattered me. And Pinocchio scared me to death. I refused to watch any of them again for years. :D 

Still, somehow it's not the same when it's drawings that are being killed and tortured. But none of those will ever be favorites!

22 hours ago, DistantView said:

@Arcadia I can understand the sensitivity to cruelty and brutality in film. I still have the cojones in terms of watching that stuff, but it's quickly waning, which makes me think that age (on my part anyway) is a factor. When I was younger I'd watch any horror film put before me, and I watched some stuff that was exceedingly grim and harsh.... can't do that now, not that it gives me nightmares I just don't have the stomach for it

Oh, I think age is definitely a factor on my part too. I've seen too much cruelty in real life by now to tolerate seeing it depicted in film, I think. 

I'm pretty sure I could watch any of it and appreciate the message, the performances, the artistic merit. But I primarily regard film as entertainment, and dark themes don't entertain me any more ... so I don't spend my meager funds on them. I'm not sure they ever entertained me, actually, but when movies were $2 a pop it didn't seem to matter so much how you felt about them. Now that they're a major investment ... yeah, I want to walk out of the theater uplifted, not depressed.

On the other hand, I saw Infinity War at least 3 times. But maybe it's because I knew it didn't end there. I've only watched Endgame once, I think it's because I don't have the heart to see the ending again. Wah.