The Power of The Dog

besleybean

On 11/24/2021 at 5:12 AM, DistantView said:

I still have the cojones in terms of watching that stuff, but it's quickly waning, which makes me think that age (on my part anyway) is a factor.

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I primarily regard film as entertainment, and dark themes don't entertain me any more ... so I don't spend my meager funds on them

So that makes three of us.  I suspect this is part of the whole "young people are immortal" thing.  Even though most people in, say, their twenties are intellectually aware that bad things can happen, they don't *feel* that way.  So they can watch a scary / violent films as entertainment, in the same category as riding a roller coaster.  But once they have a few more decades under their belt, it hits closer to home, and it's not fun anymore.

(I'm not so keen on roller coasters any more, either.)

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm not so keen on roller coasters any more, either.

I never was crazy about rollercoasters, but yeah, even less so now.

I had a free pass to a theme park a couple years ago. My lord, most of the rides I saw there looked absolutely terrifying. All about height and speed. One was a) turbo-powered and b) completely in the dark. Several of the kids (and they were all kids, no adults) were sitting outside the amphitheater with white faces and/or throwing up. And no doubt planning to go on it again.

At any rate, I asked a friend if there were any "tame" rides I might enjoy, and she recommended some coaster or other. Now I know why they lock you in so tightly to those things. I swear, I was so terrified I would have ripped the bar off and jumped if I could have. The rational brain completely shut down, all I wanted was to escape. Horrible!

I did quite enjoy the log plume ride, though. The only ride in the place where the vehicle never got airborne. :D It was a blast.

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I asked a friend if there were any "tame" rides I might enjoy, and she recommended some coaster or other. Now I know why they lock you in so tightly to those things. I swear, I was so terrified I would have ripped the bar off and jumped if I could have.

I used to love ferris wheels, until one time at a street carnival I noticed how much the thing was creaking and moaning.  And it occurred to me that they had to disassemble it every time they left a town, then re-assemble it at the next place.  And what if they lost a few bolts in the process?  Or simply forgot to install some pieces?

I saw the trailer for this film and thought it looked really interesting but potentially disturbing. So I sent my best friend the link, she watched the whole movie and told me "you'll probably like it but don't watch it alone." Husband isn't interested so I'll have to wait until I get together with her (and we've worked off all the other films and series on our ever-growing "must watch together" list... :lol:)

Apropos rides and ferris wheels: I would never get on anything like that for myself, I have hight-freight and am not interested in wasting adrenaline. However, I am now a mom of an almost-five-year-old boy with a very different outlook on things and live in a place where practically the only accessible and family-friendly public entertainment is an annual fun fair. So... Let me just say I've had some interesting experiences lately. ("Mom, I'm getting scared! Make it stop!" / "I can't, love, once it's going round it'll continue going round until the ride is over. But there's nothing to be scared about, look, we can see the church steeple down there! And can you find our house?" / "Why are you trembling?" / "Because it's cold..." :lol:)

7 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

I am now a mom of an almost-five-year-old boy with a very different outlook on things and live in a place where practically the only accessible and family-friendly public entertainment is an annual fun fair. So... Let me just say I've had some interesting experiences lately.

That sort of thing gets to just about everyone eventually, I think.  I went with some friends to a street carnival.  She didn't want to go on any of the rides.  He wanted to go on all of them, but wanted some company.  So we compromised and went on only the rides that I (thought I was) comfortable with.  One of them was the Tilt-A-Whirl, where you're in a three-or-four-person seat that tilts and whirls as it moves around the center of the ride.  I had always thought of it as a reasonably tame ride -- but was not aware that the lap bar was also a control mechanism.  My friend wanted to whirl faster, so he kept pulling on the bar, and I was getting dizzy but I toughed it out.  When we got back to their apartment, he excused himself and headed for the bathroom.  She and I talked for a while, then got to wondering what was taking him so long.  She went to check, then reported that he was in there throwing up.  We were not overly sympathetic.

• Haha 1

Surprised BC was willing to put himself through the nicotine poisoning route again for a movie role . . .he went through the same thing during 'Scandal in Belgravia' filming, as I recall.  As far as I know, American film productions are required by law to use non-tobacco (herbal) cigarettes during filming. Health and safety.  Herbals are not without some side effects but they are not considered tobacco products and thus are permissible.

Having seen the trailer, my impression is that this is essentially a riff on "Brokeback Mountain" with young (underage?) Kodi Smit-McPhee in the Heath Ledger role as the initiate into the particular love between men.  There at least seems to be a homosexual undercurrent to 'Phil's' interactions with the boy, who he mocks mercilessly for being effeminate because he's secretly attracted to him.  I don't *know* for sure that this is the way it goes, but Jane Campion is known for treading the sexual edge in all her movies.  BC's current pictorial spread/lengthy interview in The Hollywood Reporter, entitled "The Age of Cumberbatch" shows Bendi decidedly playing around with a pansexual aura, to say the least.

I will be recusing myself from seeing this movie.  Not interested.  I did see Brokeback Mountain and thought it was a sad but ultimately touching love story.  I don't get the vibe of 'ultimately touching' or in any way life-affirming from this.