The Electrical Life of Louis Wain

DistantView

Anyone catch this yet?

Having been a mild fan of the artist when I was a child, combined with Cumberbatch being in the film I guess I had some expectations, but it was a bit of a letdown for me.

It wasn't one of Benedict's better performances, in my opinion,  and the film seemed disjointed and meandering... plus there weren't really enough cats on display. 

6/10 rating is my verdict. Certainly not bad, but far from outstanding. 

...now I wait for Power of the Dog,  which I (probably unfortunately) have greater expectations for.

8 hours ago, DistantView said:

there weren't really enough cats on display. 

Seems odd, considering that Wain's specialty was cat illustrations.  Obviously the movie is about the man, not the cats per se -- but still.

I haven't seen it, doubt that I will.  Just doesn't sound like my kind of movie, despite the cat theme.

Yeah, same for me actually... not really my kind of film, save the cats and Cumberbatch,  that is. I did read something beforehand that touted the cats and really,  you'd think with this particular biopic they'd have worked the cats in more. They're difficult to direct because the feline attention span leaves something to be desired,  but leaving a cat to its own devices has led to some great footage in other films,  so not impossible either. 

Eh... on to Power of the Dog. I like Campion already anyway, so higher hopes. 

A friend has invited me to her house to watch this (soon, I assume). I have to admit, I don't have high expectations, and maybe that's a good thing. But we're both artists and cat lovers (and she knows I'm a huuuuge BC fan) so we can't resist giving it a whirl.

I did see a trailer for it recently, and it did seem rather quiet and sweet, which is right up my alley these days. So I'll let you know how it goes. Hope I stay awake for it; I fell asleep on the last two movies I tried to watch.... 🙄

• Like 1

Yep I love art, Benedict and cats...not necessarily in that order.

What could possibly go wrong?!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't see another thread!

There has just been a lovely interview on BBC Scotland.

It was with a lovely young Scottish girl, who plays Louis' second sister.

I am sure she was in Sherlock.

Anyhow, she was raving about Benedict and saying how great and generou he is.

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Found the earlier thread and merged the two.

Josephine?  The sister.

She was really interesting, how she explained her portrayal of the character...

I will look for her in the cast list:

Sharon Rooney...

gonna go back and see if it mentions Sherlock!

Yep, knew it!

Defo is her: she is the girl in the deerstalker who cries: oh my god, when she gets the text that Sherlock Lives!(EmptyHearse)

I assume she never actually met Benedict when she filmed that, hence her not mentioning it.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Incidentally, I found the original thread, when I searched for this one!

So sorry, but anyway...

my pal and I saw it last night.

Both really enjoyed it.

She is non-Sherlockian and not aparticular fan of Benedict.

A quirky little film.

Sad and moving.

9 hours ago, besleybean said:

I found the original thread, when I searched for this one!

So sorry

Not a problem!  I've now merged the two threads.

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2021 at 9:35 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yes, review, please!

So I finally got to see it, I loved it. I thought Ben did a great job with the character; in fact, it's been so long since I've seen him in anything new, I'd rather forgotten just how good an actor he really is.

The story was indeed sweet, if sad. I was afraid it might be so sweet it would be boring, but I didn't find that to be the case at all. It was just a nice, quiet little character study, and a well done one. Also it was nice to see a story where so many people were actually kind. I actually can't remember a movie lately where that was a trait of even one character, let alone several. Refreshing.

I do agree, however, that there were not enough cats. No wonder the movie sank without a trace. :D 

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

It was just a nice, quiet little character study, and a well done one. Also it was nice to see a story where so many people were actually kind. I actually can't remember a movie lately where that was a trait of even one character, let alone several.

And you ask why I see so few current movies these days!

On 2/27/2022 at 2:08 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

And you ask why I see so few current movies these days!

I don't see many either, although in my case I think it's more about the value for the price; most of them aren't enjoyable enough to warrant the $12-15 it takes to see them in a theater. (And that's the matinee price! I haven't been to a movie in "prime time" in ... oh, probably decades.)

Still, some movies are best enjoyed in a theater. Louis Wain one survived quite well on a TV screen (altho my friend has a VERY large screen) but West Side Story, which I also saw recently, definitely deserved the big screen. Fortunately I had a free pass for that, otherwise I doubt I would have gone to see it. But I hugely enjoyed seeing a movie in a theater again, it's a whole different experience than watching one at home.

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

most of them aren't enjoyable enough to warrant the $12-15 it takes to see them in a theater. (And that's the matinee price! I haven't been to a movie in "prime time" in ... oh, probably decades.)

If it's been that long, you may well be eligible for "senior" discounts by now.  Dunno how typical this is, but at our local cineplex the senior rate is the same as the matinee price, but you can go at any time of day.

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I hugely enjoyed seeing a movie in a theater again, it's a whole different experience than watching one at home.

I'm especially fond of seeing "cult" movies (Trek, Tolkien, Star Wars, etc.) with a self-selected crowd of fellow fans, which was one appeal of the old midnight showings.  (I don't miss trying to stay awake till the movie's over, though!)

• Like 2