SherLOCKED221

Martin Freeman in 'Wild Target'

I watched this movie a while ago but it has only recently occurred to me to post it here.

The movie is called 'Wild Target' starring Bill Nighy as Victor Maynard, A middle aged hit man with family problems and plastic on his sofa, who is hired to kill a woman after she cons a mobster out of £900,000. When he fails at this (after falling in love with the woman) the mobster hires another hit man to take care of both the woman and Victor.

Martin Freeman plays Dixon, the sadistic assassin who is second-fiddle to Victor Maynard.

While in awe of Victor, Dixon jumps at the opportunity given to him by the mobster to dispose of the greatest hit-man ever known.

The movie in general is pretty funny and also stars Rupert Grint (Ron from Harry Potter) as Victor’s bumbling apprentice he later acquires. I love Martin Freeman in this movie however.

He is so good at playing bad. See another side of Dr. John Watson!

A must watch for fans of Martin Freeman.

I'm glad to have someone here to discuss Wild Target with!

My husband and I bought the DVD because 1) Martin Freeman is in it, 2) playing a very different type of character from any we'd seen him do before, and even though he has a relatively small role, 3) Bill Nighy and Rupert Grint are also in it. So it seemed like a pretty safe bet that we'd enjoy it, and we did. (We had already seen Nighy as Cornelius Fudge Rufus Scrimgeour [wrong Minister for Magic, sorry!] in a Harry Potter movie, and as Slartibartfast in Hitchhiker's Guide. And of course, as you said, Grint was in all of the Potter movies.)

From reading customer reviews on Amazon, I already knew that Freeman plays the rival hit-man, so when the mobster's assistant tells him that so-and-so is on his way, I said to my husband, "Oh, this must be where Martin Freeman -- gaaahh!" I'm not sure whether it was the evil gleam in his eye, or the evil gleam in his teeth (!), but I literally found myself unable to look directly at him at first. His scenes are hilarious, though, especially the showdown between him and Nighy.

I'm now wondering whether I'd want to see Freeman play a serious baddie. Hmm, yes, I think so, because in a serious movie, he would presumably play the character as a real person (as compared to the over-the-top Dixon), and of course he would do it well. That would be interesting.

As I've said in prevoius threads I don't like Jude Law as Watson because he plays him too seroiusly, annd I fear if Martin Freeman played a seroius baddie it would end up the same way. However I'd watch just for the hell of it and see what happens.

Oh and by the way, I didn't know that Martin Freeman was in Hitchhiker's Guide!

I've seen the movies, but it was so long ago, before BBC Sherlock! So I didn't make the connection. Strange huh?

I'm always rewatching movies and then shouting at the screen saying "Oh "such and such" is from "blah blah", I didn't know that!'

Did you know Tyler Posey from Teen Wolf the series was also in Maid in Manhatten?

I loved the H2G2 film even though I've been a staunch fan since the original radio plays and I adored Martin as Arthur Dent. I also loved the little nods to the original TV series that only a fan would notice (my 2 faves are when the original Marvin showed up and the fact that the holographic recording at Magrathea was played by the tv series Arthur Dent, Simon Jones).

I also love this icon... Posted Image

As I said, watched the movie awhile ago so not a huge fan, however did love the movie.

Didn't know there was a TV series (I did know there were books) I'll have to get around to watching it.

As I've said in prevoius threads I don't like Jude Law as Watson because he plays him too seroiusly, annd I fear if Martin Freeman played a seroius baddie it would end up the same way. However I'd watch just for the hell of it and see what happens.

Other than Hector Dixon, all of the characters I've seen Freeman play have what I think of as a soul (as in "the eyes are the windows of the soul"). Some of his characters are very serious, but they're also very real, very human. (When I said "a serious baddie," by the way, I meant a "real" baddie in a serious movie, not necessarily a stone-face.) I have enough confidence in Freeman's choice of roles, plus his ability to let us see inside his characters, that I would not hesitate to watch any of his future movies.

Oh and by the way, I didn't know that Martin Freeman was in Hitchhiker's Guide!

I've seen the movies, but it was so long ago, before BBC Sherlock! So I didn't make the connection.

I think the three of us are talking about two different Hitchhikers -- Freeman played Arthur Dent in the 2005 theater movie, not the early-80's tv miniseries. Does that help?

Did you know Tyler Posey from Teen Wolf the series was also in Maid in Manhatten?

Oh, that's right -- they did a remake of Teen Wolf a few years ago. I loved Michael J. Fox's original, but haven't seen the new one.

Oops -- somehow missed a couple of posts!

So you did actually see the movie, SherLOCKED. Well, Martin Freeman was not only in it, as you may have gathered by now, he starred as Arthur Dent (the fellow in the green bathrobe).

I agree with you, aely, and that John / Arthur icon is just adorable!

Yes.

You see I am always rewatching a movie/show and then realising that a character I knew as someone else (such as Watson) was actually in an early movie such as Hitchhikers Guide. I find this strange but interesting.

• Like 1

H2G2 the series was made in 1981. It's on youtube. Did you know that the author, Douglas Adams, was also the script editor for Doctor Who at one time?

http://youtu.be/ZMoi-nDd6cQ

My birthday is on National Towel day :)

• Like 1

Interesting.

I (personally) was born on the same day Sri Aurobindo and Napoleon Bonaparte!

... Did you know that the author, Douglas Adams, was also the script editor for Doctor Who at one time?

Wasn't just about everybody? :huh:

My birthday is on National Towel day

Congratulations! (Presumably you always know where your towel is.)

My own birthday is so nondescript that I may actually be the most famous person born on it!

My birthday is on the anniversary of the first UK transmission of Doctor Who. Is that geeky enough for you?

• Like 1

If you really want to know if someone important was born on your birthday just google "Who was born on my birthday?" it will come up with a bunch of sites that will tell you if you have the same birthday as someone famous! TRY IT

Hey, you're right -- the first one I tried came up with quite a few famous people -- some that just about everyone's heard of, and others perhaps not so famous, but known to me, at least. It's a wonder than none of the world-famous ones were in any of the lists that I'd seen before.

I was thinking more today about the idea of Martin Freeman playing baddies, and decided that one type of role I'd definitely like to see him in is someone like Severus Snape. Even though such characters are in some sense the protagonist's enemies, they are always honorable individuals, so I tend to think of them collectively as "the honorable enemy." They are generally not true villains, though (even though they may be perceived as such by the protagonist), so perhaps "the honorable antagonist" would be a better term. The late Mark Lenard seemed to specialize in these characters -- the Romulan Commander on the original Star Trek, Spock's father Sarek in several versions of Star Trek, and Aaron Stempel on Here Come the Brides, to name a few.

I've always been fond of these characters, because they're more complex than they appear to be, with their own internal conflicts and private tragedies -- which the audience may be aware of, though the protagonist is not. It would be interesting to see Freeman go against the dark-haired stereotype, and his portrayal of the aforementioned conflicts and tragedies would be truly marvelous!

Perhaps a good example is Showtime’s "Dexter"?

I always say 'A serial killer with a heart of gold'

Not perfectly accurate, but hopefully you get the point.

A traditionally bad guy job taken up by a not so bad guy. Although Dexter does take joy in killing he is only killing other bad guys.

You feel sympathetic even while he's slicing open a man wrapped in plastic on a metal table.

I understand...I would love to see Martin Freeman as a "Dexter" or a "Snape" (perhaps without the black hair and sarcasm!)

Oh, we'd need to keep the sarcasm... though it could be toned down a bit.

I'm not at all familiar with Dexter, so cannot say whether he's the type of character I'm talking about or not.

Sarcasm does seem to be another characteristic of many such characters, doesn't it? Sarcasm is fine!

Oh I meant cynicism! I put the wrong word there!

"Dexter" has such funny, dark humour. You should really watch Carol, great show, I'm currently watching season 7. Michael C. Hall actually suffered through cancer while shooting the show. He's better now (and less sickly), and all the while he never stopped shooting the show! Now that’s commitment!!

Well, sarcasm is often an outward expression of cynicism, so my reply doesn't change.

Dark humor is an iffy thing for me. Some examples (e.g., Wild Target) I do find funny, but other things presented under the same heading strike me either as cheap attempts or as self-consciously sophisticated, in either case almost anti-funny. So I tend to be wary of the label. I suspect that Dexter would probably fall into my "funny" sub-category, though.

I looked up Dexter, and it's on Showtime, which is (at least here in the U.S.) a cable/satellite channel. If cable were available in our area, we'd probably have it for the high-speed internet service, but it isn't. We could get a satellite dish, but then we'd just have a few hundred more channels that we don't have time to watch. Besides, we're cheap.

Of course there are presumably DVDs that we could buy. I'll think about that. (But bear in mind that we're cheap.)

There are 7 seasons each with 12 episodes each. Alot to deal with I know! There are also the orginal books by Jeff Lindsay, they're okay, but the tv show is better.