Are the terms "Geek" and "Nerd" still derogatory?

Undead Medic

That's a great come-back, aely!

However, it sounds to me like what you and Shangas are actually saying is that it's possible to take the high road when someone tries to insult you. Of course that's true, and that's a sensible thing to do.

But saying that those words are therefore never derogatory is the same thing as saying that there's no such thing as a derogatory term. That would mean that it's perfectly fine for anyone to call another person a "bad name," because it's only bad if the other person takes it that way. That sounds an awful lot like blaming the person on the receiving end, and I seriously doubt that you meant it that way.

• 2 months later...

While "geek" and "nerd" are busily cleaning up their image, the once-honorable "hacker" has, alas, gone the other direction.

I was reminded of this sad fact while reading the Introduction to The Story of English (by McCrum, Cran, & MacNeil), copyright 1986.  The authors use the word "hacker" several times to mean, apparently, any computer professional; for example, "We have also paid attention to the everyday spoken English of fishermen, wheelwrights, cowboys, folk singers, priests, doctors, sugar planters, computer hackers, etc., talking about their work in their own variety of the language."

My impression is that the term was more often used to refer to someone who was particularly clever with computers, and this was its downfall.  By 1997, a dictionary gives two definitions:  A) an adept or highly skilled computer enthusiast or programmer, B) a computer user who attempts to gain unauthorized access to files.

Re: Nerds.  This poster was reblogged on tumblr a couple hundred times.  So it's definitely a word circulating in the consciousness of our young people.  But when I was young, it always carried the connotation of intelligence and "bookwormishness."   I'm not sure exactly how they define it to one another now, except as it appears below:

nerdslikeus.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow, this forum is certainly educational! I have always wondered what "geek", "nerd", "dork" etc are really supposed to mean. Because my English is two thirds old books and one third my mom, I have no clue when it comes to current slang. From what I've gathered here (and using Urban Dictionary), geek and nerd seem to mean somebody who is "weird" because he / she takes a level of interest in things either fictional or highly theoretic that is commonly perceived as abnormal.

While I don't think that there's any reason to be offended by the terms, labels are always sort of unfortunate. I dislike identifying as anything but my own self, call that arrogance if you want.

I also got the impression that "nerd" is used for somebody who does not cope too well with the challenges of daily life. Actually, though, having a fictional universe (or several ones) to escape to now and then can be a big help in dealing with everyday madness and sadness (and nice things, too, of course). It's like having a holiday resort for your brain. And unlike the common method of taking time off by getting drunk, you get to bring souvenirs and lucky charms back with you in the form of quotes and jokes and inspirational thoughts. It's not like fiction has nothing to do with real life, it just transcends it and can help to view things from a distance and come to new conclusions.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I think it depends who's called who a nerd/geek.  If it's nastily done like say a gang of people upon one person, who happens to be

really interested in a particular subject that they don't understand - then it's wrong.

If it's done with affection and the person in question doesn't mind, then it's okay. It depends on the situation in hand.

• Like 1

I get several names, 'hipster' being the most common. (I like to wear chiffon blouses and big glasses and put pink streaks in my hair.) I also pride myself greatly on being a geek, and honestly I consider 'hipster' a compliment.

Hipster is a term popularly used to denote a contemporary subculture in North America and Europe primarily consisting of Millennials living in urban areas.[1] The subculture has been described as a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior"[2] and is broadly associated with indie and alternative music, a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility (including vintage and thrift store-bought clothes), progressive or independent political views, organic or artisanal foods, and alternative lifestyles.[3][4][5] Hipsters are typically described as affluent or middle class young Bohemians who reside in gentrifying neighborhoods.[6][7]

The term in its current usage first appeared in the 1990s and became particularly prominent in the 2000s,[8] being derived from earlier movements in the 1940s.[citation needed] Members of the subculture do not self-identify as hipsters, and the word hipster is often used as a pejorative to describe someone who is overly trendy or effete.[9][6] Some analysts contend that the notion of the contemporary hipster is actually a myth created by marketing.[10]

The word geek is a slang term originally used to describe eccentric or non-mainstream people, with different connotations ranging from an expert or enthusiast to a person heavily interested in a hobby, with a general pejorative meaning of a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp[ecially] one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.[1]

Although often considered as a pejorative, the term is also used self-referentially without malice or as a source of pride. Its meaning has evolved to connote "someone who is interested in a subject (usually intellectual or complex) for its own sake.

Nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a descriptive term, often used pejoratively, indicating that a person is overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Additionally, many nerds are described as being shy, quirky, and unattractive,[4] and may have difficulty participating in, or even following, sports. Though originally deragatory, "Nerd" is a stereotypical term, but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity.

• Like 1

Very good. :) I don't exactly live an alternative lifestyle, and I think hipsters are not exactly what I am, but what people think I am. I just have different ways of trying to be cute.  And geek. Yes. Just, yes.

I also think that if you do things that perhaps other people don't, then you get a lot of flak from certain quarters. In the past, I've been on holidays by myself and you get two types - the ones who think you're 'so brave' or the others who ignore you but talk behind your back. I just get on with my life and don't care what people think.

That is true. I've never really been lumped into the cool crowd or the geek crowd; I've always been kind of in the middle. So I will show up to my Dungeons and Dragons group wearing skinny jeans with heels, complete makeup done.

• 2 years later...

I just read the Wikipedia page entitled "Ben (film)," about the rat movie. I was puzzled that Roger Ebert (in his 1972 review) called it "a geek movie" till I read his distinction between horror movies (scary) and geek movies (disgusting).

I have apparently (at long last) internalized the new definition of "geek" to the point that I'm now puzzled when someone uses it with the old meaning.

Added: However -- I don't think I've switched over completely enough that I could hear someone call *me* a geek without (way deep down, circa 1985) feeling insulted.

• Like 2

I always feel flattered with dork, geek, nerd term, much to annoyance of those who say it as insult. :)

You can always detect hidden admiration and envy in their voices. XD