The STAR TREK Connection

This discussion arose when several of us were explaining the various reasons for moderating the first ten posts of each new member. Alice added the final reason, and then we were off -- way off!

... it just proves you're not a machine or an alien.

... not that we're prejudiced against androids or Vulcans. :welcome:

• Like 2

Well, John called him "Spock" and "you machine" -- and John knows him pretty well.

Come to think of it, the names S[p]ock and S[herl]ock are awfully similar....

• Like 1

And I would imagine Splock is already a valid fan-fic mashup... :D:lol:

• Like 1

Although I tend to hate those fan fictions that are utterly unrelated (oh so much do I hate the homeoerotic minds of those writers), I am intreeged of Spock Sherlock.

Are you ready to solve the case, Mr Spock?, logically?? *laughs* Oh well...

And I would imagine Splock is already a valid fan-fic mashup...

Depends on how one defines "valid," doesn't it? :P

... I am intreeged of Spock Sherlock.

Hmm -- that would be interesting. I fear that they're too much alike for sufficient dramatic contrast (John & Spock would be much better in that regard), but on the other hand, they are certainly not identical, so that seeing them side by side would point up the differences pretty clearly. (I do believe that Sherlock has a bit of Shatner's Kirk in him, too.)

• 3 weeks later...

You're not the only one who's asking that question! So far, all that's been officially announced is that he's the villain. The thread "Star Trek 2 (12) Shooting Clip" has a green-screen video of him fighting with Spock (Zachary Quinto), plus reports of the major rumors to date.

• 3 weeks later...

Also note that the partially-solved puzzle word S--R---K could be either "Sherlock" or "Star Trek." Which may mean something.

Back to the fan fiction idea, what I meant was more on the side of putting Spock into the BBC Sherlock universe. Such as my earlier comment,

Are you ready to solve the case, Mr Spock?, logically??

You wouldn't be saying how different they are, but rather how similar (but of course not completely the same!)

Oh! There should be a vulcan emoticon!

... what I meant was more on the side of putting Spock into the BBC Sherlock universe....

Ah! That does have possibilities. For example, I can see Spock and Sherlock irritating each other with their differing views of logic. It would also be interesting to see their differing choices in when to be coldly logical and when to take other people's feelings into account.

I was just wishing for one yesterday! If you know of anything on another forum, I believe there's a way of stealing borrowing it for this forum.

What did you have in mind -- maybe a Spock face similar to the :sherlock2: and :watson: ones?

I was just wishing for one yesterday! If you know of anything on another forum, I believe there's a way of stealing borrowing it for this forum.

What did you have in mind -- maybe a Spock face similar to the :sherlock2: and :watson: ones?

Something like this :llap: ?

• Like 1

Perhaps we're not the only ones intrigued by the idea of a Treklock crossover -- see the Star Trek movie thread for a look at the first poster!

Perhaps we're not the only ones intrigued by the idea of a Treklock crossover -- see the Star Trek movie thread for a look at the first poster!

Oh I guarantee we're not the only ones! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sherlockology has posted a lengthy list of Holmes / Trek similarities and crossovers, called "Sherlock Holmes and Star Trek -- A Beginner's Guide." Some of their items have already been discussed on various threads in this forum, but lots of others have not.

Posted Image

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I keep thinking of more similarities between Star Trek and Sherlock.  For example:

1.  Neither show's pilot was ever aired as an episode (though most footage from the Trek pilot was worked into the two-part episode "The Menagerie" and the Sherlock pilot is available on the Series 1 DVDs).  There may well have been other cases, but the only other show I can think of offhand where the pilot was not used as an episode is Gilligan's Island (in that case, because they decided to recast some characters).

2.  In each case, the show's creator (Roddenberry and Moffat) claimed that CBS had discussed dealing with them, and had picked their brains in the process, but then decided to do their own show (Lost in Space and Elementary).