The STAR TREK Connection

I actually can't think of any character from the original series that I would be displeased to get. I'm fond of all of them. Well, maybe Christine; not that I'm not fond of her, but I'm her diametric opposite. :smile:

Oh, and I love that group picture!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching City on the Edge of Forever, and am struck by how much Kirk and Spock resemble John and Sherlock in this episode. Except Kirk's a little sharper than John. I guess McCoy is more his direct opposite, anyway. Anyway, it's interesting, and kind of odd. And cool.

• Like 2

Amok Time. This proves it, Spock really is a descendent of Sherlock Holmes. Thank goodness; I hated to think of all that fabulous genetic material going to waste. :smile:

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hope this works ... what is your Star Trek name?

http://quizzes.howstuffworks.com/quiz/whats-your-star-trek-name?acct=act_10153036824292945&utm_medium=paid&utm_source=facebook&asid=6086610088964&adid=6086610108764&mkcpgn=fd68c090d1084458842080b8659d189c&sg_uid=fd68c090d1084458842080b8659d189c

I got Stonn, which I'm not altogether sure I approve of. I suppose he could have been an honorable sort, but I'd have thought more highly of him if he'd spoken for himself (in the above mentioned Amok Time.)

I got Stonn as well. Don't know him as I never got into the original series.

I tried again, this time giving the answer I thought was least like me -- and I got Nu'Daq, whoever the hell that is.

Added: According to Memory Alpha, he's a Next-Gen Klingon in "The Chase."

Coulda fooled me. :smile:

Just watched Mirror Mirror this evening. I love that episode. Uhura rocks!

Yeah, he was pretty cool. Menacing, but in a good way. And I sorta agree with Bones ... I like the beard. Gave him more dignity. :smile:

Y'know, I watch these old episodes and find I really like Kirk. He's kind, smart, humbler and more thoughtful than the current version, amusing, stern when he needs to be ... etc. etc. Yet that's not how I remember him ... mostly I remember the womanizing and the hammy overacting. All I can think is what I'm remembering is the awful episodes more than the good ones, or the comic impersonations, or something. Spock's still my favorite, but I admire Kirk more than I thought I did.

What bugs you about Shatner's performance, do you remember? I've only been watching the better episodes, but I think he's excellent in those. 

Yes, he can be very good when he wants to be. But our little circle of fans soon noticed that he tends to be very hammy in some episodes, presumably the ones he didn't like for whatever reason. And we considered that very unprofessional, especially since the other cast members were obviously still giving it their best shot.

Then as the seasons went on, Kirk seemed to become the expert on everything -- telling Scotty how to repair the engines, telling Uhura how to use the subspace radio, explaining science to Spock, and so on. (And it wasn't just us -- another fan wrote a parody where all the crew members were named Kirk.) Later when some of the other cast members wrote books, our suspicions were confirmed -- those lines had originally been written for Scotty or Uhura or Spock, but during filming Shatner would tell the director (who was generally hired on just a per-episode basis) that he thought Kirk ought to have those lines, and if the director objected on logical grounds, Shatner would appeal to Roddenberry, who didn't want to be bothered and would agree with Shatner just to shut him up.

So it wasn't so much the bad acting per se, more like what we saw as an unprofessional attitude.

It's my best guess that the reboot people combined Shatner's smart-ass attitude (which would bleed through into his performance during his non-favorite episodes) with Kirk's basic personality. To me, it feels like they've integrated the character's inconsistent (as acted by Shatner) personality into a coherent whole. I like it. Added: Besides, Pine's character is a much younger Kirk, barely out of the Academy. He may mellow a bit as he grows up.

• Like 2

Amok Time. This proves it, Spock really is a descendent of Sherlock Holmes. Thank goodness; I hated to think of all that fabulous genetic material going to waste. :smile:

That's always been the episode that proves it for me, too, except I went backwards.  The first time I saw Sherlock, I thought, "oh, that's Spock in Amok Time."

That's my favorite episode of all of the series. I love so much about it, but I especially love Spock putting Stonn in his place, and then, "I shall do neither.  I have killed my captain, and my friend."  

My favorite line in that one is "Logical. Flawlessly logical." T'Pring takes it as a compliment -- but I don't think Spock meant it that way.

• Like 1

And my favorite has always been Spock's big grin at the end. :smile:

I like the reboot Kirk a lot too, I'd just forgotten how much I liked the original. But I'm afraid I do remember the hammy acting as well. It never bothered me quite as much as the poor quality of some of the later scripts, though.

My favorite line in that one is "Logical. Flawlessly logical." T'Pring takes it as a compliment -- but I don't think Spock meant it that way.

"I am honored."

[Yeah, well, don't be, TPring, because I think that's Vulcan for "b*tch."]

Ever wonder if T'Pring was about half the reason Spock decided to make his career in space?  "Five year missions away from home?  Heck, yeah!"

And my favorite has always been Spock's big grin at the end. :smile:

I like the reboot Kirk a lot too, I'd just forgotten how much I liked the original. But I'm afraid I do remember the hammy acting as well. It never bothered me quite as much as the poor quality of some of the later scripts, though.

I like the reboot Kirk a lot too, but nothing will replace the original for me. The later scripts were bad, and I know there was some ego behind the scenes, but I love the original Kirk.  The new Kirk is also fun, but he seems to be what Kirk would be with more "modern" sensibilities, which is what he is and what he should be.

• Like 2

Of course, I also always wanted a scene (maybe fan fiction) where T'Pring looked at Spock and said, "I chose Stonn.  Wanna know why? He isn't exactly on a seven-year mating cycle, if ya know what I mean." 

And then have Spock saying "Voluntary mating activities outside of the procreative window are illogical if there is not mutual attraction between the participants."

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

At the risk of repeating myself ... Happy Halloween, everyone!

keEYc9j.jpg

• Like 4