The STAR TREK Connection

...  If you ever do apply for a job working for other people, you might want to avoid using the term "self-employed," and just be fairly specific about what you've been doing.

Knowing me, I'm far more likely, now that I know this, to put SELF-EMPLOYED in 48 point bold italics right across the top of the resume. With underscores.
  • Like 2

Being self-employed as well, I give myself a title (or actually 2 titles) that fit what I do. I'm the President and Chief Artistic Officer of Yeshayahu Art. I'm in charge of everything including creating the art work.

Chief Artistic Officer! I love it! That's the way, just make up a job title! Right now my business card just says "Artist", I think I'll go add "World's Only Consulting" to the front of it. And "self-employed" under that because I feel like getting in people's faces about this... :D
  • Like 2

So can we claim that anyone in Star Trek was self employed?

Sure! Harry Mudd, and, uh, the tribble dealer (dang, what was his name?) And, um... Wait! (Duh!) Khan!

• Like 1

great way to get the thread back on track don't ya think? :):P:lol:

• Like 2

So can we claim that anyone in Star Trek was self employed?

Sure! Harry Mudd, and, uh, the tribble dealer (dang, what was his name?) And, um... Wait! (Duh!) Khan!

This is weird -- I can quote the tribble dealer and even hear his voice -- but what the heck is his name?  It'll come to me....

Is a person still considered self-employed if they have employees of their own?  If so, then the "bosses" in "A Piece of the Action" would qualify (at least till Kirk made them subsidiaries of the Federation).  And Edith Keeler.

• Like 1

Technically if you don't have a board of directors over you than yes even of you have employees.

• Like 1

Jones? The tribble dealer, something Jones? Fancy first name .... I keep wanting to say Orlando Jones :smile: but that's not quite it...

I now have a clear mental image of the character -- stocky fellow with "Captain Kangaroo" pockets full of his merchandise -- and I think the actor's name is Stanley something-or-other.  Jones does sound about right, but as for the rest of it -- gaaaahh!  But I will NOT look it up!  It's gotta be somewhere in that flea market that I call a brain.  Three names maybe (like Harcourt Fenton Mudd)?

I think the problem is that they didn't mention the character's name all that often (unlike the aforementioned Mr. Mudd).

Ah! 

Cyrano Jones

Dat's it! You win the no-prize!

Okay, here's another one ... what's the name of Kirk's wife?

Uhh -- Mrs. Kirk?  :huh:

I'm trying to remember any episode or movie scene where Kirk had a wife, and I'm coming up empty.  There was "that little blond lab technician" that he almost married.  And in Generations, he was about to propose marriage, till Picard dragged him off to save the Universe.  He and Carol Marcus (who may have formerly been a lab tech?) clearly had -- umm, a relationship.

Wife, you say?  Care to drop any clues?

Uhh -- Mrs. Kirk?  :huh:

I'm trying to remember any episode or movie scene where Kirk had a wife, and I'm coming up empty.  There was "that little blond lab technician" that he almost married.  And in Generations, he was about to propose marriage, till Picard dragged him off to save the Universe.  He and Carol Marcus (who may have formerly been a lab tech?) clearly had -- umm, a relationship.

Wife, you say?  Care to drop any clues?

I always assumed Carol Marcus was, in fact, the "little blonde lab technician."  After all, "Jim Kirk was many things, but he was never a boy scout."

Are you thinking of whoseewhatsit -- Miramanee?  That Native American (on another planet) woman that he was with when he lost his memory?

• Like 2

Okay, folks, how about this one: what's the name of McCoy's wife?

from "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"

I shall not open your spoiler!  :P

It was in "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" (which must rank as the longest Trek title ever, presumably to the chagrin of Harlin Ellison, whose own titles are often far longer than that of his Trek entry "The City on the Edge of Forever").

Good ol' What's-'Er-Name.  It'll come to me.

• Like 1

So far, so good!

(I'm afraid I always remember that episode as the one where the title's better than the content....)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

As some of you may still recall, the official theme of this thread is basically "Things that Sherlock and Star Trek have in common" (and we really do discuss that sort of thing every now and then).  With that in mind --

Here are clips of an interview that Merv Griffin did with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy in 1982, just before the premiere of ST2: The Wrath of Khan.  Shatner tries to explain the rabid appeal of Star Trek, and Nimoy addresses the pro's and con's of being so strongly identified with a very specific and unusual character -- both of which could apply just as easily to Sherlock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=psDRQi3oAGg

• 1 year later...

From Sherlockology:

tumblr_od6nj8TxOs1qkgkowo1_500.gif

Shall we begin… to party?

Star Trek is 50 today! Check out our archive guide to Sherlock + Trek!

http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2012/12/17/sherlock-holmes-and-star-trek-beginners-guide-17122012

Drat, I knew there was a thread like this somewhere but I couldn't find it.... (not that I tried that hard... :smile: )

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Here's a Star Trek (original series, including movies) quiz that's not too easy (I missed five -- generally after narrowing it down to two answers).

...  and a ST:TOS Which Character Are You quiz.

(I got Spock, which is nice, though it puzzles me, considering the answers I gave.)