Undead Medic

General Series 1 Locations

Right let the known list begin, if you know of any locations where Sherlock was filmed then please post them below.

The Swimming pool in "The Great Game" Is Bristol South, Dean Lane, Bedminster. (I might not live too far from it, and have swum there on a couple of occasions)

A few more from that episode:

• 187 North Gower Street, London, NW1 2NJ – exterior scenes of 221B Baker Street and Speedy's Cafe.
  • Stewarts Lane Traction Maintenance Depot, Battersea, London - railway tracks where a body is found.
  • Saint Bartholomew's (Bart's) Hospital, West Smithfield, London, EC1A 7BE
  • Cardiff University School of Earth and Ocean Sciences - laboratory used by Sherlock Holmes.
  • Borthwick Wharf, Borthwick Street, London, SE8 3 - where the abandoned rental car is found.
  • OXO Tower Wharf, London, SE1 9PH – foreshore where the security guard's body is found.

I've only seen Saint Bartholomew's hospital! :( Next time I'll be in london I want to see the other locations!

By the way, here you have a website where you can see all the locations ^^ --> http://www.sherlockology.com/locations

• Like 1

Right let the known list begin, if you know of any locations where Sherlock was filmed then please post them below.

The Swimming pool in "The Great Game" Is Bristol South, Dean Lane, Bedminster. (I might not live too far from it, and have swum there on a couple of occasions)

A few more from that episode:

• 187 North Gower Street, London, NW1 2NJ – exterior scenes of 221B Baker Street and Speedy's Cafe.
  • Stewarts Lane Traction Maintenance Depot, Battersea, London - railway tracks where a body is found.
  • Saint Bartholomew's (Bart's) Hospital, West Smithfield, London, EC1A 7BE
  • Cardiff University School of Earth and Ocean Sciences - laboratory used by Sherlock Holmes.
  • Borthwick Wharf, Borthwick Street, London, SE8 3 - where the abandoned rental car is found.
  • OXO Tower Wharf, London, SE1 9PH – foreshore where the security guard's body is found.

Wow! I had no idea that the pool was the Bedminster pool - I live 5 minutes away and have often visited the park next door...Awesome

• Like 1

Hang on guys. Shouldn't this be in "On Location" in the BBC Sherlock area? Perhaps we should move it...

• Like 1

There you go, Alice!

Note that (thanks to Undead Medic!) the On Location forum now has three subforums, one for each of the three Series announced so far. Any particular location "belongs" to the Series when it was first used (regardless of whether it was ever used again).

You can continue posting on this thread for general discussions about Series 1 locations, or you can start a new thread in this subforum for a specific topic regarding Series 1 locations.

• Like 2

Sherlockology's latest Metro blog covers five popular Series 1 locations:

locations.jpg?w=650&h=368&crop=1#038;h=5

Speedy's
Bart's
Russell Square Gardens (where John meets Mike Stamford)
Tapas Brindisa Soho ("Antonio's")
Trafalgar Square (the plaza in "Blind Banker")

See the blog for further information on each location.

This image of a sign posted outside Bart's Hospital appeared on Twitter in late April:

D42IA8SW4AUapjV.jpg

The same person had previously posted a photo of the hospital surrounded by scaffolding (see entire thread here), assuming it was being demolished or otherwise ruined, and unfortunately that assumption has been retweeted far more times than the hopeful followup above (including on Sherlockology, where only the "bad news" appears on their main Twitter page).

Does anyone happen to know whether this is a protected historical building?  Or how to find out whether it is?

No, but some quick Google-fu seems to confirm that Kier was hired to refurbish Bart's, and Bart's webpage seems to indicate it is healthy, thriving and modernized.....

• Thanks 1

I'm not worried about Bart's as a whole, just the old pathology building.  OK, that first article says this:

Kier has been appointed for a £36m redevelopment of the former pathology and residential staff quarters at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London for Nuffield Health, the UK’s largest not-for-profit healthcare organisation.

It will see two disused buildings transformed to create a new cardiac unit, as well as an outpatients and minor procedures department.

Sounds like the old pathology building is not being demolished, but I wonder just what they mean by "redevelopment" and "transformation"?  From what I've seen elsewhere, when historic buildings are modified for other uses, they're typically kept more or less the same on the outside, but gutted and rebuilt on the inside.  So hopefully the pathology building will still be quite recognizable.

I would suspect so, given its history. I didn't realize it was so old. Pretty neat.

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I would suspect so, given its history. I didn't realize it was so old.

Apparently I didn't either -- how old is it?

It was founded almost 900 years ago, but rebuilt in the 18th century: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Saint-Bartholomews-Hospital .

• Like 1

The state of the building was really bad probably with water coming through the roof. That means all the wooden constructions, like the floors, have to be replaced. Building the whole thing anew is probably a better solution than patching the old pieces. I'm not sure if just preserving a facade would still be called preservation in Germany, but the rules vary. :D

OK, finally found it.  First off, the building will no longer actually be part of Bart's, it'll house a private (i.e., non-NHS) hospital called Nuffield Health at St. Bartholomew's Hospital.

And here's how they're handling the old pathology building (about like we had guessed):

The Old Pathology Building front and return facades will be retained, using an externally founded steel façade retention system, with the rest of the building demolished fully, inclusive of the existing basement slab.  New piled foundations will then be installed to form a new basement raft and, a reinforced concrete frame will be erected. The new rear façade will be clad in Portland stone to match the existing rear facade, and a new dormer roof structure will house the roof top plant areas.

Sounds expensive! 

I thought "private" in Britain meant the same as "public" in the States? Or does that only apply to schools? I read this somewhere...… (don't you love the consistency of the "English" language? :P )

Right, you're thinking of schools, but you have it backward: what's called a private school in the  US (because it's privately funded) is called  a public school in the UK (because it's open to the public).

We actually use the word "public" in both senses here in the US -- an American public restaurant, for example, is open to the public (i.e., paying customers) in pretty much the same sense as a British public school.  And the words are apparently just as confusing in the UK, since the new hospital mentioned above appears to be "private" in the same sense as an American private school.

Are we all confused now?  :blink:

• Like 1

Yes!

I suppose the reason it's so confusing is that "public" and "private" sound like they should have specific opposite meanings, whereas they're both relative terms, like "bigger" and "smaller."  So what's "public" in one context is "private" in another.

I would guess that if the term "private school" is used in the UK, it refers to something like tutoring at home, which would indeed be more private than an establishment that admits any student who can pass the entrance exam and whose parents can afford the fees.