Something I recently noticed while watching The Reichenbach Fall for the 22nd and a half time; While Moriaty says he is going to kill ALL Sherlock's friends/family he mentions 3 bullets, then later only three assassins are seen (on screen) awaiting orders to kill,

Mycroft Lestrade

Mrs Hudson

and John

But what about poor, servile Molly??

Does Moriarty NOT consider Molly to be Sherlock's friend? As Moriaty appears to not take personal (emotionally driven) relationships seriously and he wanted to screw with Sherlock as much as possible, why not try to kill Molly too?

As most fans currently believe that Molly had something to do with Sherlock faking his own death (myself included) than does this have something to do with how Sherlock did it?

*EDITED* I actually meant Lestrade! I wasn't thinking at the time and wrote the wrong thing.

• Like 2

I guess that's because Sherlock is quite good at covering up his feelings for Molly in public. Sherlock lives with John and Mrs. Hudson. He is dependent on John as his 'partner' and on Mrs. Hudson because she seems to function as a substitute mother (she cares for him, he has access to her fridge etc.). Also, he wouldn't have let John live together with him if he didn't like him at least a bit.

Lestrade is his door to interesting cases, so he's dependent on him as well (other policemen probably wouldn't give Sherlock an insight into the cases they work on - there has to be trust between Sherlock and Lestrade because Sherlock could easily spread the word about his involvement which would be embarrassing for the whole department).

Now with Molly I think it's different. Moriarty heard it himself how Sherlock treats Molly. I think from the outside it could easily look like as if Sherlock just needs Molly to have access to Barts. I mean, even at the Christmas party at Sherlock and John's Sherlock treats her really badly. Only when he realizes that she cares for him (and John), he apologizes to her. So I don't think that Sherlock and Molly appear to be friends from Moriarty's perspective.

The question is.. did Sherlock know that he might need her at some point of time.. and did he therefore try to avoid personal contact? Or was it the other way round and he just didn't realize that somebody could be crazy about him. :P I hope the latter is true. :)

Yes, I agree, all good points.

Something else occurred to me also, after Sherlock finishes talking with her ("I need you..."), we don't see Molly again, not even at the gravesite.

Now this might be purely to keep her expression hidden thus keeping her involvement secret, or there may be more to it.

She may be doing something very important plot wise (E.g. Helping Sherlock while he's in hiding).

I'm with Brainy - I don't think Moriarty perceived Molly as important to Sherlock as he'd seen how she was treated.

Whether Sherlock's treatment of Molly was intentional or oblivious, we may never know for certain.

I agree too -- "Jim from IT" saw how Sherlock treated Molly, so she's been able to fly underneath Moriarty's radar -- the Stealth Molly!

By the way, I believe Brainy is correct, the third friend that Moriarty targeted is Greg Lestrade -- not Mycroft, who may have intentionally exaggerated his criticisms of Sherlock (quite possibly even feeding Moriarty false information about his brother) in order to give himself and Sherlock more options.

Oh I didn't even realize that SherLOCKED wrote 'Mycroft' instead of Lestrade :blush: But I believe Sherlock says it himself.. John, Mrs. Hudson and Lestrade.

Yes, I believe you're right.

Of course, with any normal family, it would be the brother, wouldn't it?

It would. But what's normal in Sherlock's life? :P

Oh yes, Molly.

Sherlock's secret weapon.

This is where being a psychopath is a disadvantage to Moriarty.

He may be clever, but he didn't count on the loyalty of a woman scorned.

• Like 1

Musing on Molly, she counts precisly because she didn't. I love Molly; she is 'grace' personified: love freely given, with no thought of reward. As besleybean says, she is Sherlock's secret weapon.

And as Brainy says, did Sherlock realize that at some point he might need Molly? After all, you never know when you might be in need of a spare corpse.

I actually don't think in this instance Sherlock was as calculating as that.

He had simply always considered Molly a valuable colleague and when the chips were down, he knew she could help him.

He may be clever, but he didn't count on the loyalty of a woman scorned.

Absolutely. I have every confidence that Molly is helping Sherlock, and that she probably helped him fake his death. She's so willing to do anything he asks, whereas John would have argued every step of the way--plus, he needed John to think he was dead. For whatever reason.

Molly's so in love with him that she probably doesn't care what it is, she'll do it for him.

I have every confidence that Molly is helping Sherlock, and that she probably helped him fake his death.

I think so too. She noticed how sad Sherlock was "when he thought he (John) wasn't looking. She seemed to know something serious was up. She hardly turned a hair when he told her "I think I am going to die". Her response? "What do you need?" Him staying at the lab and getting John out of there with the phone call, the little blue ball, all the medical help flocking immediately to Sherlock's supposedly dead body when it had barely hit the ground all smacks of conspiracy and his dear pathologist.

I think there's a bit of discussion on just how much Molly is involved. But at least to falsify a death certificate, I would think.

And Molly was 'overlooked' by Moriarty; a significant error on his part. Of all Sherlock's friends, she is the only one free to operate.

Absolutely she would be in the perfect position to fake any kind of death certificate. She could easy take charge of "the body" preform the "autopsy" and sign the certificate. Piece of cake. And yes, in he canon, as it has been mentioned before, Mycroft did know that the "Fall" as not a fatal fall from grace for Sherlock

Exactly. But it is, as we know, the fall itself that ends up baffling us all. We can rationalize all we like, but I still feel like we are missing something really big, something that we would see if we looked closer!

Right, and it has been mentioned on fan videos on youtube that Gatiss does say that there are visual clues in "The Fall". But of course, he's not saying where they are nor what.

I assume you're both looking for something in addition to the truck full of bags?

Actually I'm pretty satisfied with the truck. It was right there when he finally did hit the side walk. And yes, he landed wrong for a body falling straight down from the roof like it showed him flailing. It didn't pull away until John got hit by the bike and started around the smaller building that hid the truck and Sherlock's final landing.

And he was flailing. I know on youtube some people thought it was the dummy that had been hanging in 221B at the beginning episode that hit the ground, but that dosen't wash for me. I mean, Sherlock would have had to have the thing hidden on a ledge. Hit said ledge after his own fall from three or four stories up, because it had to be out of John's and the sniper's line of sight, then he would have had to push the thing off but it didn't land like a dummy would have.

Ditto for me. He was indeed flailing -- sky-diving -- aiming for a particular landing spot, such as the bags in the truck (which I think would have needed to be filled with impact-absorbing foam, considering how far he fell). Some people are saying the truck was too far from the building, he couldn't have steered himself that far out, so something from the truck must have been moved down onto the sidewalk for him to land on, then put back on the truck and driven away before John could get there. I suppose that's also possible, but I prefer a simple landing on the truck.

One loose end is that we actually see something dark land directly on the sidewalk, and of course we're supposed to believe that it's Sherlock. Here's where I think some sort of "dummy" really does come into the plot, though it wouldn't have needed to look human, just be roughly Sherlock's weight and firmness. It could have been pushed off the truck at the appropriate moment to provide a sickening "thump" for John to hear -- or possibly Molly pushed it out of a hospital window so it would land with more force.

Carol and Fox, your speculation seems the most plausible of any I've read so far. After all, Sherlock was the one who picked the venue for the final confrontation with Moriarty, so I think we have to believe that just about everything we see in the scene has been stage managed by him. He told Molly he thought he was going to die. We don't know what they subsequenlty talked about, but it was surely how to prevent this.

It wasn't until a few hours later that it hit me that the dummy could have been in the back of the truck...what a "duh!" moment that was. But there is also the thing with Sherlock bouncing the little blue ball. Balls sometimes used to suppress the blood flow in an arm to eliminate, for a time, the pulse in said arm. So if or when John should reach the body and check for pulse....none, nada, ziltch. As long as he didn't go for the neck. If they don't decide it was the dummy after all. Hedging my bets you see.If

If you want to seeing thing possitivilly hilarious, some one made up a montage of photos on their take on how Sherlock survives "The Fall" and it involves Anderson. Can be found on Facebook on the "Sherlokian Fan" page. It's worth the chuckle.

Yup, Sherlock the stage manager!

I'm very fond of the rubber-ball theory as well. Doctors always seem to go for the wrist pulse. Lucky for Sherlock that John is a doctor!

Fox, I looked for "Sherlokian Fan" but Facebook wouldn't cooperate. Is that their exact spelling? Could you post a link? Thanks!

• Like 1