Undead Medic

Astronomer Sir Patrick Moore dies at 89

Posted Image

The BBC have reported that the astronomer Sir Patrick Moore has died at the age of 89:

British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has died, aged 89, his friends and colleagues have said.

He "passed away peacefully at 12:25 this afternoon" at his home in Selsey, West Sussex, they said in a statement.

Sir Patrick presented the BBC programme The Sky At Night for over 50 years, making him the longest-running host of the same television show ever.

He wrote dozens of books on astronomy and his research was used by the US and the Russians in their space programmes.

Described by one of his close friends as "fearlessly eccentric", Sir Patrick was notable for his habit of wearing a monocle on screen and his idiosyncratic style.

Sir Patrick presented the first edition of The Sky at Night on 24 April 1957. He last appeared in an episode broadcast on Monday.

A full obituary can be found Here.

I used to love the Sky at Night and I'm sure if it wasn't for Sir Patrick, I bet we wouldn't have Brian Cox doing what he does either. I might not have agreed with his politics, but Patrick Moore was definitely a national treasure. RIP.

To aspire and inspire is life’s most honourable misson

-Anna Writer

Rest in Peace Sir Patrick Moore

A really bad year when it comes to deaths...

One can only assume that BBC will start repeating Sky at Night for those of us that never watched it?

If you're looking for the discussion of superstitions (e.g., "deaths come in threes") that ensued, it now has its own thread, "Good-Luck Charms, Superstitions, and Traditions."

• Like 1