Episode 2.3, "The Reichenbach Fall"

Undead Medic

What Did You Think Of "The Reichenbach Fall?"  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote Here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

Molly, and presumably Mycroft.  And all those people on the sidewalk at St. Bart's.  And the guy on the bicycle.  And possibly Greg.

But not John.

• Like 1

That was a woman, I'm afraid (just combed Aithine's screencaps for it) but wow, you had my pulse going there for a while :lol:.

That's certainly a most memorable way to introduce yourself to this forum, so :welcome:, Cipher!

Let's see -- that's Antonio (the restaurant owner) in the right-hand photo (from "Study in Pink"), and one of the mysterious St. Bart's crew in the left-hand one (from "Reichenbach").  No, I can't say that I'd ever noticed, but judging by the "Reichenbach" photo above, the hair is similar.  Is that man ever shown from the front?

Added:  Thanks, Martina!  I was still typing when you posted that.  I think you're right about that being a woman in "Reichenbach," but even if not, I believe the shape of the cheek is different from Antonio's -- though there is a resemblance in their hair.  His sister, maybe?

By the way, I have "twins" of my own:  1) the man writing at the table behind Sherlock in the cafe in "Great Game" (the scene where John explains who Connie Prince was); and 2) one of the most visible corpses on the "flight of the dead" in "Scandal in Belgravia."  One of these times when I'm using the library's wi-fi, I'll get pictures of them from Aithine's Sherlock screen caps.

And hello, CIpher -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!   :welcome:   We hope you're enjoying yourself here!

Sometimes I feel so dense. But a very heavy set famous actor used to ride one. The joke that went around was "what's the biggest hangover in the world?  Jackie Gleason on a bicycle."

I thought it was "King Farouk on a barstool?"

I wanted to drop by and leave a link to my latest blog post, wherein this picture - making the tumblr rounds again:

tumblr_inline_mkt7hzLL5t1qz4rgp.jpg

Is shown to be photoshopped in this pic I got from the show yesterday:

bloodpacket7marked1.JPG

But, there is what I thought was a good question brought up by the "blood packet"  myth, when you look at a fuller shot:

bloodpacket7.JPG

What's Young Doc - aka Stethoscope Man -  looking back at, at this point.  If you watch, he is looking ahead just before he gets to the body, stops and deliberately looks back.  I had a couple ideas in the post but wonder if anyone has given this much thought before?

Also, is that something covering the body's face at this point?  (John is still on the ground, BTW)

Good point - that looks a bit like a naked foot, but who would step into a blood puddle barefoot?

Oh, yes, and she's not barefoot, she's wearing a dark shoe that blends in with the blood.

Shouldn't post before my first cup of tea ;).

• Like 1

There's a fic somewhere about that grey-haired woman, a pretty good one too. Wish I could remember where (it was on LJ).

I've done it again, folks -- missed a whole bunch of posts because I read to the bottom of a page, but failed to notice that there were already more posts on the next page. Does anyone have a cure for that (other than paying attention)?

Oh wait .. I see her now.  Gray-streak Woman is in there.

Looks like her hair just t'other side of the woman with her back to us -- is that what you meant?

What's Young Doc - aka Stethoscope Man -  looking back at, at this point.  If you watch, he is looking ahead just before he gets to the body, stops and deliberately looks back.  I had a couple ideas in the post but wonder if anyone has given this much thought before?

Hadn't given this any thought whatsoever till now (and have not read your blog) -- but might this be about the same time that we hear what could be a telephone ringing? The phone booth is in that direction.

I've done it again, folks -- missed a whole bunch of posts because I read to the bottom of a page, but failed to notice that there were already more posts on the next page. Does anyone have a cure for that (other than paying attention)?

"Go to first unread post?"  It's the only thing that works for me.

Hadn't given this any thought whatsoever till now (and have not read your blog) -- but might this be about the same time that we hear what could be a telephone ringing? The phone booth is in that direction.

Great minds!  That was one of my ideas, also.   Though, the phone starts ringing as soon as John hits the ground, so ... maybe it stopped?  Meaning John was getting up? 

If that really is a phone, rather than just the ringing in John's ears, then I assume it's some sort of signal.  And if it starts just as John falls to the ground, yeah, it would make sense that stopping it would mean, "Hurry up, he's on his feet again."

"Go to first unread post?"  It's the only thing that works for me.

I have no trouble getting to the first unread post, ever since Undead Medic pointed out that clicking on the dot or star to the left of the thread's name will do just that.  BUT then I tend to read to the bottom of that page and stop.  If there are additional new posts on the next page, I may not notice.  The only clue appears to be that there's an extra page number to the right of the current (highlighted) one.  What I seem to need is a day-glo "HEY, DUMMY -- GO TO THE NEXT PAGE!!!"

If that really is a phone, rather than just the ringing in John's ears, then I assume it's some sort of signal. 

I have no trouble getting to the first unread post, ever since Undead Medic pointed out that clicking on the dot or star to the left of the thread's name will do just that.  BUT then I tend to read to the bottom of that page and stop.  If there are additional new posts on the next page, I may not notice.  The only clue appears to be that there's an extra page number to the right of the current (highlighted) one.  What I seem to need is a day-glo "HEY, DUMMY -- GO TO THE NEXT PAGE!!!"

I can't imagine why anyone would think it's ringing in John's ears.  It's a phone, we've heard it before, froma phone box before.  (I forget, you don't have the DVD set?  So you can't review?)  And even if it isn't the phone, he'd need someone in that area who could see John and him, to give him some sort of signal about John getting up.

Okay, so, in my theory, Stethescope Guy is going to inject Sherlock wth something to kill him so John will be convinced.  If that happens, then he needs a signal to do that at the last possible moment so Sherlock is dead as briefly as possible to get Sherlock inside to revive him asap.

In other theories, it probably works the same way.

-------------

So, here's the thing about that next page number ...  it does not appear unless there are posts there.  As far as I know.  No blank pages.  There has to be another post to trigger the program to make a new page, so, if it's there, there are more posts!

Yes, I know -- but I don't necessarily notice that there's another page number.  The forum isn't using a big enough sledge hammer!

The DVD, I've got.  It's cable / high-speed internet that I'm lacking.  But I've seen the episode over and over and ....    As I recall (having not seen it for a few weeks), the ringing is a bit subliminal, like am I really hearing it?  It's certainly not as blatant as the ringing in "Study."  But I suspect it's real, merely at a distance from John's POV, and therefore faint.

I'm sticking with the bouncy ball!  But as you say, they still need to know when to expect John.

• Like 1

the ringing is a bit subliminal, like am I really hearing it?

As I never even noticed there was any ringing, I can guarantee it's kind of subliminal. Probably doesn't help that I do have ringing in my ears 24/7 (oh the joys of tinnitus) so I tend to think anything subtle like that is just MY ears and not the telly...

I do like the idea of the signal if what you're saying is right though - the ringing starts as John hits the floor and stops as he struggles to his feet.

• Like 1

The only reason I was sure it wasn't my ears ringing is that it's intermittent, like a telephone bell.  But it's not at all obvious to me, even at that.

Also, Ariane DeVere's transcript (which is otherwise very detailed) does not mention the ringing sound.

The only reason I was sure it wasn't my ears ringing is that it's intermittent, like a telephone bell.  But it's not at all obvious to me, even at that.

Also, Ariane DeVere's transcript (which is otherwise very detailed) does not mention the ringing sound.

Those transcripts are made by watching/listening to the show, I believe.  They are not copies of shooting scripts, if I recall what she says about the process correctly.

As for the ball, a lot of people are dedicated to the ball theory, and I can see Moffat using it.    But I tend to expect him to be hiding the means, to make the significant clues more subtle, so when the BIG REVEAL happens in Series 3, he can flashback and show what was there all along that the viewers didn't notice. 

Those transcripts are made by watching/listening to the show, I believe.  They are not copies of shooting scripts, if I recall what she says about the process correctly.

Yes, that's right, with two people double-checking each other, and a lot of detail (actions, etc.) mentioned. Since the transcript does not mention the ringing sound, it must have been fairly unobtrusive. Therefore, either totally irrelevant or else a crucial clue!

As for the ball, a lot of people are dedicated to the ball theory, and I can see Moffat using it.    But I tend to expect him to be hiding the means, to make the significant clues more subtle, so when the BIG REVEAL happens in Series 3, he can flashback and show what was there all along that the viewers didn't notice.

If it turns out that What Really Happened is not what any of us expected, I don't expect it to be the least bit convoluted. I think it'll be a real face-palm moment!

• Like 2

There was one thing that left me very confused about this episode. If there was no keycode, how on earth did Moriarty completely erase his identity? Even if he could find a way to get people to delete his digital files (hard to do without leaving lots of potential loose ends), there still should be a paper trail left. Even then, there had to be people who would recognize his face (Molly being one of them). Basically, I don't think Moriarty "won" this, because all it would've taken was some real investigative research to figure out that he was lying. 

• Like 1

Hello, pirinja -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!   :welcome:

You know, I don't recall anyone ever asking that particular question before.  Hmm.   :huh:   Good one!

Other people have already commented that the story he told to Kitty Riley about Sherlock's background should be easy enough to discredit (especially if, as now seems probable, Mycroft had fed him a pack of lies).  So perhaps he didn't do all that thorough a job on anything, just enough to look good on the surface.  For example, it would be easy enough to invent "Rich Brook," either by inserting false data into certain systems (electronic and/or paper) and/or by actually becoming an actor in his spare time (which is what I think he did, simply because he found it amusing).  But none of it would bear close examination.  You wouldn't be able to find anyone who knew "Brook" in school.

So maybe he didn't bother doing all that thorough a job of erasing his true identity either.  Maybe all he was concerned about was being believed long enough to get the big black headline, "Sherlock is a fraud!"  He certainly accomplished that, and died believing that he had forced Sherlock to die in disgrace.

• Like 1

That's another good point ... so Moriarty likely died happier than he had ever been in life.

Not sure if I find that thought more comforting or discomforting :unsure:.

Oh, and hello pirinja :wave2:, and welcome to the forum!