Undead Medic

Episode 2.3, "The Reichenbach Fall"

What Did You Think Of "The Reichenbach Fall?"  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote Here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, T.o.b.y said:

I was wondering today: does this episode make more or less sense now that we know about Eurus and that she had been in contact with Moriarty? 

I know that she wasn't planned yet when this episode was written, but I like to think in universe. 

Like, if Moriarty and Eurus had made all these preparations for her to torment Sherlock later, and Eurus definitely wanted him alive, then Moriarty must have never intended for Sherlock to actually kill himself. 

What does that mean for how we understand (or try to understand) the glorious puzzling mess that is this Episode? 

My thinking is that Eurus didn't have that much influence over Moriarty ... just because she wanted Sherlock alive to play with didn't mean Jim was going to keep him alive for her. Another thought is that Eurus knew that Sherlock would win that battle anyway, so she let Jim play his little game, secure in the knowledge her time would come. 

And she's so damaged, she may not have cared one way or the other, she was just trying to find ways to pass the time. Must be terribly boring in that cell. No wonder she's mad.

• Like 1

I hope she didn't have much influence over him, otherwise it invalidates Moriarty as the villain we all know and, er, love. I already hate that Sherlock is the stupid one, his personality isn't 'real' but a persona adopted from a trauma... I don't want Moriarty to be just as stupid because if everyone is just dancing to Eurus' tune, whether they know it or not, it makes the rest of the characters pretty pointless. Everyone is a pawn, no one is autonomous, nothing anyone does is real. 

But I hate the whole Eurus idea with a fiery passion, so I like to think she had a little a hand in things as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Exactly. It was bad enough that Moriarty was reduced to a series of gifs just so that ... what was the reason for that? It was demeaning! For Moriarty, I mean. At any rate, I'm much happier thinking that their meeting was just that ... a meeting. They got a little info from each other, but didn't collaborate.

I don't mind Sherlock being the stupid one. Really, I think all that means is that he's a genius with a heart, unlike the other two. That strikes me as yet another example of the Mofftisses using a more dramatic word when a more boring one would have been more accurate. Like "sociopath." Or "assassin." They do love a touch of drama.

And I still think the Eurus thing could have worked if they'd done it better. Like, for instance, incorporating it into the story from the beginning, instead of slathering it on in a thick layer at the end. I don't mind a crazy baby sister, and the actress did a fantastic job. I just mind it being so obviously dragged in out of left field, instead of being an organic part of the overall plot. I still think that's a bizarre way to plan a serialized story. But I get the impression that only the fans think it IS a serialized story.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh, I am no fan of Eurus either. Not at all. I never wanted another Holmes sibling and certainly not this one. 

But now that she is here, I cannot ignore her and my brain is still trying to make sense of The Reichenbach Fall, so... 

I don't think Moriarty comes across as her pawn. It was a collaboration and he is just as likely to have influenced her as she him. I was just thinking, why would Moriarty make all those recordings and stuff to harass Sherlock with in the future when he was planning to force him to commit suicide before any of that could be used. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Probably for the same reason why Eurus blowed up 221b risking to kill Sherlock. <irony off>

Moftis.gif

• Haha 3

I know how she convinced him to do the gifs.

"You know what my brother really likes, Jim? Trains. He loves trains. Send him these clips and he'll be putty in your hands."

*Moriarty happily starts choo-chooing*

As for the blowing up 221B, it's the "boop, they're okay," that I'm still mystified by. All they had to do was throw a cast on someone's arm as evidence that yea, jumping out of a first floor window onto concrete probably will do some damage. I elect John, how much more vulnerable would be have looked down the well with a broken arm... plus injuring John is a guaranteed way to upset Sherlock. Even after the morgue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

As for the blowing up 221B, it's the "boop, they're okay," that I'm still mystified by. All they had to do was throw a cast on someone's arm as evidence that yea, jumping out of a first floor window onto concrete probably will do some damage. I elect John, how much more vulnerable would be have looked down the well with a broken arm... plus injuring John is a guaranteed way to upset Sherlock.

I like that.  How about you rewrite the script?

• Like 1

I think they needed everyone able bodied for Sherrinford... 

I kind of like the Baker Street explosion. I know it's silly but I enjoy that scene. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, T.o.b.y said:

I think they needed everyone able bodied for Sherrinford... 

Just a prominent bandage or two, then?  A few visible bruises?  I mean, what is this, The A Team?

(Somebody please correct me if I'm got the wrong show -- but it was famous for scenes like this:  The bad guys drive over a cliff and their car bursts into flames upon impact.  Then we hear a voice-over:  "You OK, Joe?"  "Yeah, how about you?")

I don't know, John didn't do that much physically in TFP. As long as he still had one working arm to hold a gun I can't see there being too many problems. 

Lol! I've never watched the A-Team but that sounds legit; "You ok, Sherlock?" "Yes, how about you?"

Ha, reminds me of a scene in the Family Guy movie (which wasn't very good, but that's by-the-by), drunk Stewie jumps off a shelf, out of shot. You just hear a voice over of manic groan/laughter followed by "Ohhh, ohhh, look at this gash. This big gash down the side of my leg. I cut myself deep. Doesn't hurt though." 

Have Sherlock's voice over saying something similar, followed by John's horror and the sound of him ringing an ambulance. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

John didn't do that much physically in TFP. As long as he still had one working arm to hold a gun I can't see there being too many problems. 

... though the sight of a man with casts on both legs, one arm in a sling, and a gun in the other hand might get the bad guys helpless with laughter rather than intimidated by the gun.  Oh well, whatever works!

• Like 2

Well yea, I wouldn't go that far. 

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, T.o.b.y said:

Oh, I am no fan of Eurus either. Not at all. I never wanted another Holmes sibling and certainly not this one. 

But now that she is here, I cannot ignore her and my brain is still trying to make sense of The Reichenbach Fall, so... 

I don't think Moriarty comes across as her pawn. It was a collaboration and he is just as likely to have influenced her as she him. I was just thinking, why would Moriarty make all those recordings and stuff to harass Sherlock with in the future when he was planning to force him to commit suicide before any of that could be used. 

How about this ... he didn't know he was making them for Sherlock. Maybe he didn't even know Eurus was a Holmes? All we really know is that he was summoned to Sherrinford to meet Eurus, because she'd asked for him. Doesn't mean Jim had a clue who she was or what was going on. They meet, they do this weird glass sex thing, Eurus uses her super mind powers to convince him to make the gifs, he goes away and never thinks of her again. But for some reason he feels compelled to make train noises from time to time .......

• Like 1

Hey, Arcadia -- your reply isn't showing up.  At least, I don't see anything after the quote box.

Try again ... I accidentally hit the reply button before I typed anything, and had to edit in my remarks. They should be there now. At least, I see them!

Ah, yes, much better now.  I had thought it was another trick of the new software.

• Like 1

I remember hearing about this but don't recall seeing it before … the original ending to TRF. No, wait, it's a fake scene! No, it's a secret message for the Johnlock fans! Hold on, it's a scene from the (failed) pilot of "The M&M Gang!" :D 

• Like 1