Lateral Thinking Puzzles

ChristineT

Is the first puzzle actually solved by now? I have not seen the solution anywhere, but in case I just overread it, I'm sorry.

This is what I think: the package next to the man was unopened. If it was not really the package itself that was cause of his death but the fact that it was unopened it could have been a parachute. He lies in the middle of nowhere, because that's where you do parachute jumps. He jumped, it didn't open and he died.

• Like 1

1. A man lies dead in a field in the middle of nowhere; an unopened package, that was the cause of his death, lies next to him. What happened?

That sounds good to me, Nathan.

Christine? Is that the answer?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh, I love these!! :) I used to do them all the time. Here's a bunch to keep you all busy ;)

1.) Acting on an anonymous phone call, the police raid a house to arrest a suspected murderer. They don't know what he looks like but they know his name is John and that he is inside the house. The police bust in on a carpenter, a lorry driver, a mechanic and a fireman all playing poker. Without hesitation or communication of any kind, they immediately arrest the fireman. How do they know they've got their man?

2.) How could a baby fall out of a twenty-story building onto the ground and live?

3.) There are six eggs in a basket. Six people each take one of the eggs. How can it be that one egg is left in the basket?

4.) A man is pushing his car. He stops at a hotel and instantly knows he is bankrupt. Why is this?

5.) A man is walking down the middle of a road. There are no street lights. The man is wearing black trousers, a black shirt and black shoes. His face is covered by a black cloth, he is wearing black glasses, and his hair is also black. Suddenly, a speeding car approaches, but applies the brakes and stops just in front of the man. How is it possible that the driver saw him?

They should keep you all going for a while! :D

1.) Acting on an anonymous phone call, the police raid a house to arrest a suspected murderer. They don't know what he looks like but they know his name is John and that he is inside the house. The police bust in on a carpenter, a lorry driver, a mechanic and a fireman all playing poker. Without hesitation or communication of any kind, they immediately arrest the fireman. How do they know they've got their man?

2.) How could a baby fall out of a twenty-story building onto the ground and live?

3.) There are six eggs in a basket. Six people each take one of the eggs. How can it be that one egg is left in the basket?

4.) A man is pushing his car. He stops at a hotel and instantly knows he is bankrupt. Why is this?

5.) A man is walking down the middle of a road. There are no street lights. The man is wearing black trousers, a black shirt and black shoes. His face is covered by a black cloth, he is wearing black glasses, and his hair is also black. Suddenly, a speeding car approaches, but applies the brakes and stops just in front of the man. How is it possible that the driver saw him?

3) The hen that you didn't happen to mention laid another egg in the basket?  :P  Oh, or wait a minute -- you didn't say there were only six eggs in the basket....

4) The car is the man's Monopoly token.  He pushes it around the board to a space with a hotel on it, and happens to draw the "bankrupt" card.  (Been a while since I played Monopoly, though, so not sure whether this would actually work.)

4 is correct! The solution I had was just 'he was playing Monopoly', so you don't need to go into further details :)

Your solution for 3 (there being more than six eggs in the basket) is definitely a good one, but it's not the one I was thinking of :)

I also like Selena's #3 solution that one person "took" their egg from one of the other people (since the puzzle doesn't specify where they took the eggs from).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1. You are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
2. An old friend who once saved your life.
3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Knowing that there can only be one passenger in your car, whom would you choose?

2. Several truck drivers at a roadside cafe started to play poker. The pot was large and the game was serious. Suddenly one of the men accused the dealer of cheating. The dealer drew a knife and, in plain view of all the others, stabbed the man and killed him. The police were called and they interviewed everyone who had been present. But no man was arrested or charged with any offense. Why not?

The first one's easy - hand your mate the car keys and ask him to bring the old lady to the hospital (if he or she once saved your life, they probably got nerves of steel and are a better driver in such a situation anyway). Stay behind and use the time till the bus arrives to chat with your dream partner ;).

As for #2, I'm stumped, I have to admit :unsure:.

• 1 month later...

It is really simple one.....

#a. What is the color of teeth of an African born human infant? 

#b. There is a boat in the see. All the things in the boat is made of wood. There is a hen in the boat. It lays egg on the moment when the boat crosses border of England and Netherlands. Whose egg is these....????(....by the way "hen" is not answer)  

Hmm, not at all sure --

#a

If you mean a newborn infant, he or she has no [visible] teeth

#b

Dunno -- I'm still struggling with the concept of a wooden hen laying an egg.  :huh: 

a

Infants don't have teeth.

b

If the hen is wooden as well then it can't lay eggs, right?

awesome..... carol and janie.... your both answers are correct.  :applause:

Ok now additional question to #b(2) whose egg will be if the only hen in the boat is living thing(real)..............?? :sherlock:

(note : this is a maths puzzle but it requires only common calculation. Challenge is to read the puzzle only once and give the answer. So read very carefully. Neglect any grammatical mistake because my English is not very good.)

#c: Three friends went to have a breakfast in the restaurant. After the breakfast, waiter came and gave them the bill of $25. All the friends have only $10 note. so they gave $30 to the waiter(each gave $10). Waiter took that $30. after a moment he gave back $5 (5 coins of $1). The problem was that how to distribute these $5 in 3. So they gave $2 tip to the waiter and each one took $1. now read carefully... each friend paid $10 in the beginning but they got $1 back so they paid $9 in the end. so total $27. plus waiter had $2 as a tip. so total $29. where is $1 ???!!!

(note : In the puzzle also challenge is to give answer after reading it only once. You can use pan and paper. keep it near you.)

#d

It is a hypothetical question.

First consider a bus. Suppose this bus is going from New York to Washington DC.

The Bus is Red colored. Suppose you are driving this bus and there are 10 main stop in the route. 

In the beginning there are 20 travelers in the bus. In the first stop, 10 leave the bus and 15 get in the bus.

In the second stop, only 5 leave and noone get in. in the third one 15 leave and 6 got in. In 4,5,6,7,8,9 stop only 2 traveler get in the bus.(in each one).

But between the 9 and 10 stop, Bus stops suddenly so mechanic came to repair it and get in the bus. In the 10 stop everybody get down from the bus because police have stopped them.  ok now the question... What should be the name of the driver of the bus????!!!

try without reading the puzzle again. Of course you can see your paper or calculation if needed.