Your *other* favourite detectives?

Undead Medic

Favourite *other* Detectives  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who are your *other* favourite detectives?

• Miss Jane Marple
    • Hercule Poirot
    • Inspector Morse
    • Inspector Lewis
    • Dick Tracy
    • Lt. Columbo
    • Sam Spade
    • Taggart
    • Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden
    • Wallander
    • Ironside
    • Starsky & Hutch
    • Inspector Clouseau
    • Inspector Gadget
    • Dirk Gently
    • Thomas Magnum (P.I.)
    • Remington Steele
    • Lord Peter Wimsey
    • Jessica Fletcher
    • Perry Mason

Really? What a shame. You can get them everywhere here - translated, of course, but the German version is surprisingly good. I don't know what language they were written in originally, but I've always kind of imagined them to "belong" in Chinese, which I don't understand, so every version would feel like a translation to me.

I just love Tao Gan...

I have a favorite little bookstore the owners are great and will try to order anything you throw at them. I will have to see if these can still be gotten.

Sorry to change the subject, but I have to say that My mother raised me on Inspector Morse, and I've been a fan well before it was probably considered healthy. (I'm not very old, you see.) Just thought I'd mention it.

It's funny I only started getting into the detective and crime genres again after watching Sherlock, I think because until then English class at school had ruined my opinion of them by making each story into a boring map of graded analysis about grammar and all that. Forgive me if my answers sound like that of an uncultured child, but I do love a bit of Inspector Gadget, Professor Layton, and I've found a lot of detective-themed anime like Death Note (L is pretty funny) and Psycho Pass to be very interesting. I'm afraid sadly that some of the old classics just can't hold my attention.

Did you ever read "The Murders in the Rue Morgue"? I am dead sure that Holmes was inspired by Auguste Dupin, even though Doyle has his detective belittle him in "A Study in Scarlet". Here's a link to the full text, in case anybody hasn't read it yet and is interested:

http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/eapoe/bl-eapoe-murders.htm

It's funny I only started getting into the detective and crime genres again after watching Sherlock, I think because until then English class at school had ruined my opinion of them by making each story into a boring map of graded analysis about grammar and all that. .... I'm afraid sadly that some of the old classics just can't hold my attention.

I guess I should be glad that the schools I attended did not consider mystery novels worthy of attention!  I've always thought it a shame that they didn't have any genre fiction in the library, so that I didn't even know there was such a thing as science fiction till I was an adult.  But at least I was free to enjoy it once I did stumble upon it!

Same thing with mystery fiction, basically.  But like you, I've never gotten much into the old classics.

Your school library sounds like it was awfully boring o_o both of the high schools I went to liked creativity, and whole one was the one to drive me mad with An Inspector Calls and The Speckled Band (yup we looked at Holmes stories yet I was bored senseless back then unable to appreciate it), the other school was the onl to have a proper library and it was really nice for only being in one largeish room. Lots of great fiction, I nearly lived in there.

(I even had to write a brief crime story for English gcse, which had evolved over some years and I still plan on finishing.)

Oh my god the rue morgue, I really must get to reading that! I love good old Edgar Allen Poe so much! :D I have a massive copy of Tales Of Mystery And Imagination.

I love Agatha Christie novels and the tv adaptations so my faves have to be Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot. These are the best two actors to play them in my opinion. :)

B0023Y543Y.JPG

I have heard of the two characters, of course, but that's about it.  Who are these two actors?  (That'll give me a place to start if whenever I decide to educate myself.)

I have heard of the two characters, of course, but that's about it.  Who are these two actors?  (That'll give me a place to start if whenever I decide to educate myself.)

Hi Carol :wave:

The lady playing 'Miss Marple' is Joan Hickson (sadly died some years ago) who starred in a number of BBC series called 'Miss Marple.'

The gentleman playing 'Poirot' is a brilliant actor called David Suchet - the first actor to complete all the 'Hercule Poirot' stories on ITV.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've always had a thing (just one more thing ;) ) for Columbo, I like the format of it as it's different from most detective stuff. You see who dunnit at the beginning so the story is about how he figures it out and you're not distracted by trying to figure it out yourself. I know some people don't like this and like to play along figuring it out, personally I like it. And I love the character, he's just so cool.

I also have a soft spot for 'Scott & Bailey' because it's set and filmed in my hometown (Oldham near Manchester). Lesley Sharp is one of my favourite TV actresses, oh and of course, it has Rupert Graves in it too who I have had a major crush on since seeing him in 'Damage' many many years ago.

Finally, not a detective himself but it has detectives in it so I'm guessing it counts: 'Cracker'. This is probably my favourite crime show of all time, Robbie Coltrane is brilliant as a hard drinking, gambling, forensic psychologist. He plays a very flawed clever bloke which is always good TV. This is also set in Manchester. Perhaps I'm biased :D

• Like 1

Oh yes Columbo is fantastic. Cracker too, although I've seen far too few episodes.  :blush:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00clbwj

Another detective not mentioned - George Gently played by ex-Professional actor Martin Shaw, a series set in the late sixties.

• 2 months later...

Dunno about anyone else, but I think of Batman as more of a superhero or action guy than a detective.  That could explain why he isn't included in this particular poll.

• Like 2

I have just been introduced to Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple, and I must say, she stands a good chance of going second after Sherlock in my ranks of favorite detectives. She can even do a really cool coat swirl!

• Like 1

Can't think what I've seen Margaret Rutherford in (it's been awhile), but I like her.  Casting her as Miss Marple sounds like a good combination.  (Though I must admit that I've never read any of the stories -- I know Miss Marple only by cultural osmosis.)

• 5 months later...

2 of my favorite sleuths as a teenage (and my son is into the graphic novel version) are the Hardy Boys,  I got started on Nancy Drew, then did some of the super mysteries that combined both book series, then transitioned over to Hardy Boys leaving Nancy behind unless I was reading 1 of the super mysteries.

• 2 weeks later...

[ /Definitely/ Morse and Wallander. Watching the Endeavour series has made me so emotional because of exactly how much it is like the Morse series. Shaun Evans is incredible. I'd totally marry Endeavour if I could, he's my kind of man. Like Sherlock, he is the only one to be like he is. Individual in his intelligence. But unlike Sherlock, he's not arrogant about it at all. In fact, he's the exact opposite. Very emotionally complex, he has a way of both hiding his emotions and showing them when certain events impact him. He's a complete gentleman, very sweet and levelly innocent. His love of records, opera, poetry, and crossword puzzles; the excellent taste in vehicle; his deep and vivid character; and being a vintage man (the show takes place in the 60's) has me head over heels. And also he's reeeeeeally gorgeous.

Sorry. I'm getting a little too fangirly. Ahem. Wallander is equal parts rough and soft. He's not afraid to take risks or action in his line of work or crack down on anyone when things get serious. But every case is personal for him which is both difficult and enables him to work harder to solve it. And he's very, very emotional. Somebody be that man's personal hugger for life, please. So many of the things in his life, though, it's understandable why he is. Poor guy. However, he is brave. Resourceful. Clever. Relentless. Knows how to relate to people involved in the cases and knows how to talk to them. Overall, he's amazing. 

I also like Monk, Miss Marple, Poirot, Lynley, Jackson Brodie (Case Histories), Lewis, Father Brown, Perry Mason (my mom got me onto that...), and Inspector Gadget. The cartoon one. Used to love Nancy Drew, I had so many of the books. Heh. Sorry for talking so much, wowsers.  :blush: ] You're not allowed to talk that much, I told you. Go away. The other favorite detectives are... Me. Me. Me. And did I mention me?  

• Like 1