How Did You Find Us?

How did you find out about Sherlock Forum?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. How did you find us?

• Twitter
    • Facebook
    • tumblr
    • Google
    • Other Search Engine (Specify Below)
    • Live Journal
    • Other Website/Blog (Specify Below)
    • Word Of Mouth
    • Tapatalk
    • Forum Runner

• 4 months later...

We've had a bunch of new members in the past five months -- how did you folks find us?  (Likewise anyone else who'd like to respond to the poll and/or post a reply here.)

• 3 months later...

At first I got hooked to Sherlock (naturally), then I just surfed around the Internet to find any nice forums, where I would be able to meet interesting people who like also Sherlock. I found this forum and after considering it a few minutes, I made an account. Haven't regretted it. ;) It is very nice to see that this forum is very active.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Google, but also through the old Holmsian.Net forums. I used to be a member there, you see, and since it's kinda dead there now, I naturally went looking for a new place to hang out.

• Like 1

We had several of you guys come through here a few years ago, but the others seem to have wandered off. Glad you're still here!

As I said back then:

Hello, Vidocq, and welcome to Sherlock Forum!   :welcome:

We've had a number of your old Holmesian.net compatriots wander by over the past year -- Webley Bullpup and Shangas, for example, as you've already noticed.  But they've shown up one at a time, looking for the others, and it seems that when they don't find anyone from the old gang here, they tend to wander on -- which is too bad, since they contribute some real interesting stuff in the meantime.

Y'all would be more than welcome to set up a new home here, and several of us other members would enjoy participating in your discussions as well.  You might want to try Private Messaging Webley and Shangas (and any others whose names you see here), in hopes that they're set up for email notification, and would respond to an invitation from an old comrade. 

• 4 months later...

That's as good a way as any! Welcome to the forum!

• 1 year later...

I'm in high school and living with my parents. I also have no free time. I found this site after convincing them to watch Season 1. They then proclaimed their utter hatred towards Season 1 -- which you may remember ends with an incredibly tense cliffhanger involving multiple sniper rifles and a bomb vest.

It will be a couple of years until I can move out of the house and watch the rest of the show (I don't want to watch it during free periods at school because that would break up the flow of the episodes and I also don't want to break down sobbing at school, which would probably happen at some point). In the meantime I've been browsing the S1 threads. It's a fun thing to do while I distract myself from the fact that 2 years is a long time to wait to watch such a good series.

I find it very sad that most of the Sherlock communities seem to be dying. I wish I had found the show earlier (had been born earlier, I guess).

Well, we're glad you've found what's left of us, anyway! Welcome to the forum! It will be nice to have a fresh perspective!

17 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

I'm in high school and living with my parents. I also have no free time.

Been there!  Don't worry, you'll be able to make your own free time once you're living on your own -- until you retire, at which point you'll have no free time whatsoever, because you'll be doing all the stuff you didn't have time to do while you were working.

I found this site after convincing them to watch Season 1. They then proclaimed their utter hatred towards Season 1 -- which you may remember ends with an incredibly tense cliffhanger involving multiple sniper rifles and a bomb vest.

Did your parents turn off the TV at that point?  :o  'Cause that wasn't quite the end of the episode.  But you knew that Sherlock and John survived anyhow, right?  (After all, they've already made three more seasons.)

It will be a couple of years until I can move out of the house and watch the rest of the show (I don't want to watch it during free periods at school because that would break up the flow of the episodes and I also don't want to break down sobbing at school, which would probably happen at some point).

At the end of Season 2, for sure.  (Though again it turns out OK eventually.)  But in the meanwhile, it should be safe enough to rewatch Season 1.

In the meantime I've been browsing the S1 threads. It's a fun thing to do while I distract myself from the fact that 2 years is a long time to wait to watch such a good series.

To quote Mark Gatiss (or possibly Stephen Moffat), "it's always two years."  (Though he seemed to have forgotten it was only a year and a half between Series 1 and 2 -- and as of yesterday, it's already been an even longer wait for Series 5.)

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Well, we're glad you've found what's left of us, anyway! Welcome to the forum! It will be nice to have a fresh perspective!

Yes, indeed!  Please do add your thoughts to any threads you care to read, latetotheparty, and please note that (unlike some forums) we actually *encourage* people to post on old neglected threads.  As Arcadia says, fresh perspective.  (I once got chewed out for adding new info to an old thread on a Star Trek forum.  *grumph* )

We really do need to come up with a short nickname for you, though!

22 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

I'm in high school and living with my parents. I also have no free time. I found this site after convincing them to watch Season 1. They then proclaimed their utter hatred towards Season 1 -- which you may remember ends with an incredibly tense cliffhanger involving multiple sniper rifles and a bomb vest.

It will be a couple of years until I can move out of the house and watch the rest of the show (I don't want to watch it during free periods at school because that would break up the flow of the episodes and I also don't want to break down sobbing at school, which would probably happen at some point). In the meantime I've been browsing the S1 threads. It's a fun thing to do while I distract myself from the fact that 2 years is a long time to wait to watch such a good series.

I find it very sad that most of the Sherlock communities seem to be dying. I wish I had found the show earlier (had been born earlier, I guess).

HI, welcome!

Sorry about your situation, did they say why they hate it? I'm one of those insufferable jerks who is persistant on knowing the reasons of why someone hates or disagree with something that I approve of. I'm open-minded, ready to accept their reasoning, but they have to justify it. :P Many of time they realized it's not that bad, or the reasons are too trivial. And of course, I'd make them admit it. XD 

Friendly warning though, if you are sensitive to spoilers, we are actually already at the stage when we'd talk about all the seasons, even in season 1 thread. I'm not sure how to avoid it. To be honest, we talk about all seasons everywhere, even in general threads. 

Other than that, I'm jealous that you have the rest of the seasons to look forward to.

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Here she goes again.. :P

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Other than that, I'm jealous that you have the rest of the seasons to look forward to.

Me too! Anyone want to wipe my memory for me? :D 

4 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

How about "Late"? 😛 

• Haha 1

Hey, I'm not the only one who uses nicknames -- or even the only one who makes them up.  :P  When was the last time anyone around here actually said "Van Buren Supernova" (in reference to the forum member, not the fictitious astronomical event)?

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

:P  When was the last time anyone around here actually said "Van Buren Supernova" (in reference to the forum member, not the fictitious astronomical event)?

tumblr_inline_p6itq8bw6T1uas74e_500.gif

OH MY GOD! :blanket::blanket:  :blanket: 

• 4 months later...

I was searching for synonyms for my short story I'm writing (about sherlock on an emotional case) , procrastinated, and ended up here! I'm really enjoying it here so far not gonna lie!

• Like 2

Procrastination is such a harsh word ...

MWu3Y5j.jpg

Anyway, welcome! :wave: Glad you found us.

• Haha 2

Hello, Sherlock The Otter -- and welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:  Please make yourself at home!  And if you're still searching for synonyms, you could post your questions on The Language Thread -- we'll be happy to offer suggestions (some of which may even be helpful).

Caya, that is a great Calvin & Hobbes strip!  Sounds like Calvin is some relation to Steven Moffat and me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

We do try to sound intelligent at least some of the time!  :D

As for the sale of Mycroft's house, or the Holmes family seat, or whatever that was supposed to be (in "Scandal"), I do seem to recall us discussing that, but have not yet found those posts.  (Maybe we were simply discussing the house?)  I did, however, find discussions of the impending sale of Irene Adler's house (or at least a portion thereof), Mummy and Dad Holmes's house from "His Last Vow," and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's house.  I also seem to recall discussions of "221B" being up for sale, but haven't found that yet either.

• Haha 1