How Did You Find Us?

How did you find out about Sherlock Forum?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. How did you find us?

• Twitter
    • Facebook
    • tumblr
    • Google
    • Other Search Engine (Specify Below)
    • Live Journal
    • Other Website/Blog (Specify Below)
    • Word Of Mouth
    • Tapatalk
    • Forum Runner

The mansion they filmed the interiors in TFP was indeed for sale last year. The information might be somewhere here too. It's even possible that I've posted it here. :D

Well, you never know where you end, once you start looking for Mycroft. :P Be careful it's not Serbia or Sherrinford.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
32 minutes ago, SherlockandKey said:

I am reading Sherlock and looked up Sherlock forums.

That'll do it!

You're reading the original Conan Doyle stories?  How far have you gotten (assuming you're reading them in order)?  I've read about half, but some of the other members are major fans.

As you presumably noticed, the forum's main focus is the BBC/PBS television series Sherlock (have you seen any of that?), but we're also happy to discuss other adaptations plus the originals.

I just picked up 'A Study in Scarlet' and am working my way through that. As far as I know it's the first one, but I'm not sure.

Yes, I did notice that. Once of the reasons I signed up for this forum specifically is because Sherlock is one of the tv shows I watched all the episodes for, unless there's more content that I'm not aware of.

3 hours ago, SherlockandKey said:

I just picked up 'A Study in Scarlet' and am working my way through that. As far as I know it's the first one, but I'm not sure.

Yes, that's the very first Holmes story (which is presumably why the first Sherlock episode was "Study in Pink").  It's one of the four novels.  If you're wanting to stay chronological, the next installment would be another novel, The Sign of [the] Four (which introduces Mary Morstan but was some of the inspiration for the episode "Blind Banker"), followed by the first short-story collection Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (and so on).  Once you've read Scarlet, though, you've got the basic background, so you could read the rest in another order if you prefer.

3 hours ago, SherlockandKey said:

One of the reasons I signed up for this forum specifically is because Sherlock is one of the tv shows I watched all the episodes for, unless there's more content that I'm not aware of.

There have been four series of three episodes each, plus the mini-episode "Many Happy Returns" [video here] (which aired online just before Series Three, i.e., between Reichenbach Fall and Empty Hearse) and the holiday special "Abominable Bride."  If you've seen "The Final Problem" (the one with Eurus), you've presumably seen 'em all -- though it's possible there will be more, eventually.

Of course if you want to be really complete, there's the unaired pilot, which was the original one-hour version of Study in Pink, and is available on the Series One DVD.  It's basically the same story, but sufficiently different to be interesting in its own right.

• Like 1

I am definitely wanting to stay chronological, so I'll for sure pick The Sign of the Four up next.

Nice, you have all of the information I was looking for and more Sherlock to boot! I am fairly certain I watched The Abominable Bride and the behind the scenes look thing produced by Netflix that Mark Gatiss did. However, I somehow missed that Christmas short thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SherlockandKey said:

I am fairly certain I watched The Abominable Bride and the behind the scenes look thing produced by Netflix that Mark Gatiss did. However, I somehow missed that Christmas short thing.

"The Abominable Bride" was the episode set mostly in Victorian times (though it did kind of tie into Moriarty's "Did You Miss Me?" bit at the end of "His Last Vow").

I doubt I'd have known about "Many Happy Returns" if I hadn't already been a member here -- it appears to have been advertised mostly in fan circles.  It wasn't shown on television like the regular episodes and the special, just posted on YouTube as of the Christmas Eve before Series 3 aired.  Can't tell you how many times I watched that little video over the next few days!

• Like 1

Ah, “Monk” was a great show.

4 hours ago, SherlockandKey said:

it reminds me a lot of the Monk episode they did when he pretends to be a mechanic in some small town.

A -  Sorry, I'm confused -- what reminds you of it?

B -  Monk pretended to be a mechanic?  As in, greasy overalls?  How can that possibly NOT ring a bell?!

C -  Love that show!

• Thanks 1

Ah, he worked in the car-wash area -- lots of soap, no grease!  :D   Still don't recall that one, though.  Guess it's about time I rewatched the series.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Google Ecosia search after I saw Sherlock for the first time about 10 months ago.  And only several years late too... must be a record for me. I fell in love with Cumberbatch's character and was trying to find a place to discuss (again, way too late,  as per usual!).

• Like 2

Not at all too late, we're happy to discuss every little detail with you. :smile: Welcome to the forum! :wave:

(hey, if we had tired of it we wouldn't be hanging around here anymore now would we :lol: )

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DistantView said:

I saw Sherlock for the first time about 10 months ago.

Hey, I'm jealous!  I first saw Series 1 (quite by accident) when it first aired here in the US, almost 11 years ago.  As Caya says, it's good to have some new people to discuss the show with.  We welcome your comments, questions, (polite) complaints, rave reviews, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome... I should probably rewatch the series now that I have the blu ray set. I'll likely have more to say if I do that (and also peruse the forum more). 😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DistantView said:

I should probably rewatch the series now that I have the blu ray set

Might as well!   :D

I'll likely have more to say if I do that (and also peruse the forum more).

True.  But please don't hesitate to post any minor items as you think of them.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 8:16 PM, DistantView said:

Google search after I saw Sherlock for the first time about 10 months ago.  And only several years late too... must be a record for me. I fell in love with Cumberbatch's character and was trying to find a place to discuss (again, way too late,  as per usual!).

It's never too late! 

What do you think it was that made you fall in love with Sherlock? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T.o.b.y said:

It's never too late! 

What do you think it was that made you fall in love with Sherlock? 

I think it's a combination of traits visible in the character that I identify with; aspects that remind me of myself I suppose... although I'm female and not at all extroverted, as the BBC Sherlock seems to be. My brain is kind of like Sherlock’s brain, though not 100% of the time,, and I also have trauma in my past.

And also, more superficially,  aesthetics. 😍

I think it's a combination of traits visible in the character that I identify with; aspects that remind me of myself I suppose... although I'm female and not at all extroverted, as the BBC Sherlock seems to be. My brain is kind of like Sherlock’s brain, though not 100% of the time,, and I also have trauma in my past.

And also, more superficially,  aesthetics. 😍

That last point almost goes without saying... :P

I think we had a long discussion somewhere on whether Sherlock is portrayed as extroverted or introverted in this series. On the one hand, he seems to withdraw when he needs to think or recharge, which seems introverted, but then there's his need for an audience, susceptibility to boredom and flair for drama, so I really don't know. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

On the one hand, he seems to withdraw when he needs to think or recharge, which seems introverted, but then there's his need for an audience, susceptibility to boredom and flair for drama, so I really don't know. 

He seems to make up his own rules for everything else, so why not this as well?

15 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

That last point almost goes without saying... :P

I think we had a long discussion somewhere on whether Sherlock is portrayed as extroverted or introverted in this series. On the one hand, he seems to withdraw when he needs to think or recharge, which seems introverted, but then there's his need for an audience, susceptibility to boredom and flair for drama, so I really don't know. 

He does have (some visible) characteristics of both extraversion and introversion.  He seems to need or to feed on an audience at times (constant stream of verbal deductions as he weaves his way through case parameters, talking to John even after he's left the flat, etc.) as well as require solitude (disappearing into his mind palace), so kind of difficult to pin down. I'd peg him as either ENTJ or maybe  INTJ on the Meyers Briggs type. Maybe INTP... 

Anyway,  his apparent lack of understanding/ lack of need for human societal norms is something I totally identify with. Actually he probably understands them alright, inasmuch as he needs to in order to know they're useless and unnecessary.  😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DistantView said:

I'd peg him as either ENTJ or maybe  INTJ on the Meyers Briggs type. Maybe INTP... 

I'm torn between thinking he must be a P and thinking he must be a J.  Of course very few people are strictly one or the other.  He's sufficiently P to perceive what the situation *is* -- yet sufficiently J to judge that's not how it *should* be, and therefore he recognizes clues.

Regarding E vs I -- as an introvert, I can state that being one doesn't necessarily stop a person from wanting to show off.   :D   But maybe that's one of those in-between things as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1