"Sherlock" Action Figures and such

Carol the Dabbler

I thought I was joking when I started a thread where we could help the toy manufacturers design some Sherlock action figures. Now a mere nine days later, Sherlockology has announced that they're actually in the works at Big Chief Studios!

Warning: These ain't gonna be cheap! (Check out the prices on some of their Doctor Who line.) But they're 1:6 scale (i.e., about a foot tall), and look at the detail on the Sherlock prototype:

Posted Image

Since their product-line banner shows John as well as Sherlock, hopefully there will be at least those two figures.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Those aren't really action figures, especially at that price, they're more like art for displaying. I shall admire from afar, like I do with the Doctor Who figures.

Those aren't really action figures, especially at that price, they're more like art for displaying. I shall admire from afar....

Agreed. I'd love to have a set of reasonably good-quality Sherlock action figures about 4" (10 cm) high that could hang out on my desk. I think these foot-tall super-lifelike guys might seem kinda creepy!

But, as conjectured, here's John:

Posted Image

• Like 1

Sherlockology has provided a link to Big Chief Studios' Facebook page, where you can see these prototypes from lots of different angles.
  • Like 1

Those aren't really action figures, especially at that price, they're more like art for displaying. I shall admire from afar, like I do with the Doctor Who figures.

Agreed! Those prices translate to over $200.00 per figurene. Amazing, though, the incredible detail on the sculpts.

• 1 month later...

From Sherlockology, here's what the Action Heads will look like with their paint on:

Posted Image

First look at the painted head sculpts of the upcoming Sherlock and John collector’s figures being produced by Big Chief Studios.

Neither of the faces seems exactly right to me.

I've been assuming that Cumberbatch and Freeman participated in some sort of neo-lifemask technique (presumably something like radar mapping), so that the facial contours, at least, would be accurate. If that required the actors to hold still for a certain length of time, that would explain why the expressions seem somewhat uncharacteristic. However, John's nose doesn't look quite right either, so I could be wrong about all of the above.

I will say that these are far, far better than anything I've seen so far for Bilbo Baggins -- but at these prices, they'd better be!

• 2 months later...

An update (with a slightly-different photo) from Sherlockology:

tumblr_mnq0162lvU1qkgkowo1_500.jpg

After a period of quiet, premium limited edition collectibles manufacturer Big Chief Studios Limited has posted a brief update on their eagerly anticipated and officially licenced Sherlock 1:6 scale collector figures:

“We are also well into development for both Sherlock and Watson 1:6 scale figures, working on costume tailoring and pack design right now. We plan to have these figures made available for pre-order in July. Both figures are scheduled for delivery in Q4 in time for the holidays.”

The original post, which also includes details on the companies’ upcoming Doctor Who product releases, can be seen here.

• Like 1

True.  It's hard to find scaled-down fabric that isn't ridiculously flimsy, so something way too thick tends to be used instead.  The Coat should be easy, though, since the original fabric is so thick.

I know some years ago there were weavers who were trying to specialize in weaving fabric especially for doll sized projects. Never heard much about how that turned out or if people are still doing it. Might have been very expensive.

• Like 1

Cool!  That should be possible, especially with some of the new synthetics, but as you say, if the demand was limited, the price would be high.  The only time I've heard this particular scale problem referred to was in the video blogs for The Hobbit, where they had the same fabric made in several different sizes for the actors and their scale doubles.  That wouldn't be so much of a problem, though, since the greatest size difference there wasn't more than 1-to-2 -- nowhere near the 1-to-6 of these action figures.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A couple of recent news items from Big Chief:  First (via Sherlockology), you can now (if I understand this) sign up to be notified when you can pre-order these figures (or something like that):

Register your interest for the upcoming 1:6 Scale figures of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson via this signup form for advanced pre-order notification!

There’s confirmation that the figures will be available as numbered Signature editions signed by Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, numbered Limited Editions, and as numbered pairs.

And just today, they announced (again via Sherlockology) the first accessory for the figures -- John's cane!

tumblr_mqi8o7QGbP1qkgkowo1_500.jpg

From Big Chief Studios…

‘A much needed accessory, if you happen to be returning home after a tour of duty…’

Logically, that should be the first accessory, since it appeared only in the first episode, "A Study in Pink."  Are they planning to work their way chronologically through all the accessories we dreamed up just for fun in this thread;)   (Maybe we should think of more!)

• Like 1

Did no one else come on this thread, see the first picture, think "WOAH WEEPING ANGEL" and freak out slightly.

It couldn't just have been me? :(

No...you weren't the only one...I can assure you...

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Added quote that Alice was apparently responding to

• 1 month later...

Via Sherlockology, here's our first look at the completed figures, plus photos of Messrs Cumberbatch and Freeman being presented with their own copies thereof:

tumblr_mt4op08H8N1qkgkowo3_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_mt4op08H8N1qkgkowo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mt4op08H8N1qkgkowo2_r1_500.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, it looks like they've done a really first-class job on the costumes.  The shirt fabrics would have been the trickiest, and I think what they've done is to model them on a couple of fairly thin fabrics (one of John's new S3 shirts, I believe, and of course Sherlock's famous Purple Shirt), so that even though the resulting effects are heavier than the originals, they're still believable as shirts.

And although the faces still look a little off to me (especially John's), they do come across better in context like this.  Considering what exacting work faces are, these are nicely done, actually, just not quite perfect.  In fact, I would have been astonished if they'd turned out much better than this.

PS:  Finally got their "Timeline" thumbnail page to load, with links to a few additional photos.  Worth checking out, if you haven't already.