Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

I don't like this new standard of employees asking for my name when they take my order.  First of all, half the time I have to repeat myself because they can't hear me over the noise in the place.  Second of all, they never spell it right.  Third of all, because they never spell it right, they never say it right; so I have to interpret when they're shouting for me and not someone else.  Maybe they're trying to make the process "friendlier", but it's just annoying.  They used to call me up by the order number on my receipt, it was so nice, and so much clearer.  Ah, the good old days, when I was just a number...

I tried using a false name, but that just brought up a whole different set of problems, especially when I frequented a place.

Next I'm buying myself an engraved name tag to pin to my scarf, so when they ask me my name I can just point to it.

Today they spelt it the same as a famous literary villain.  Like, really?  You think that's how it's spelled, really??

Can you come up with a false name that's pretty close to your real one?  Or a shorter version of it?  Since they've never gotten your real one right anyhow, they'd probably never notice, other than perhaps to think "now why did I ever think that was a tricky name?"

I knew a fellow whose last name was Ing, but when he called in a pizza order, he'd tell them King.  They'd heard of that name.  Much easier.

My name is pretty short already.  I can't think of anything common that would sound all that close to it...

I've run into issues like someone else calling me by my real name after I've given a false one, or the cashier seeing my real name on my credit card and wondering about it, or a server I'd given my real name to on a previous day walking in and recognizing me after I'd given a different name to the person currently serving me, etc.  It doesn't get me into trouble or anything, but I end up having to explain (if only because they're curious), which is even more of a pain than just giving them my real name in the first place.

Besides, I already ordered the name tag.  :P

• Like 2

I don't like the name thing either I thought it was a standard in America already but it's only recently migrated over here. Most places don't do it, but Starbucks have started. Most sooper dooper friendly customer service things people are forced into don't really work here. I had one job where I had to call everyone sir and ma'am, and I'm pretty sure it sounded more like a threat the way I forced it out through gritted teeth, it's just not something that's done much where I live - the people being addressed would look at me like I was nuts. I used to call teachers sir but that's about it.

Bl00dy British weather. All weekend it has been freezing cold, grey and raining, Monday morning it's hot and sunny. :angry:

Uhm.. do you think the pilot and cop who saw you in your casual dresscode informed the meterology department to manipulate the weather on weekends to avoid see that.. you..eh.. those?

*Gasp* 

How rude! They shouldn't be flying over my garden if they don't want an eyeful. ;)

They're safe for a while anyway, we currently have a week of heavy rain forecast with a yellow weather warning. It's July FFS. *Sigh*

• Like 1

I don't know about other places, but around here I've only noticed it taking over within the last few years; aside from Starbucks, which has been doing it a bit longer, as far as I'm aware.

I've noticed more with places that have some sort of rewards program. My coffee shop of choice is Caribou Coffee and they've put my name on my order after swiping my rewards card. (Now that doesn't happen as there's no menu drink of theirs that I like or can have. Need dairy free chocolate that's not flavored sugar syrup).

Caribou is my preferred coffee shop too.  :smile:  First place I ever tried coffee, actually.

• Like 1

*Gasp* 

How rude! They shouldn't be flying over my garden if they don't want an eyeful. ;)

I'm sure they learned their lesson. :p

I sound like a grumpy old person, but my eyes always free rolling inside the socket everytime I see idiotic dedication to social media.

People post something that eventually gets popular or viral, the poster is then introduced with full name, picture, such as, this is ......., (picture), she lives in ....... and her tweet/tumblr etc etc blah blah.. goes viral..blah.. sometimes there are more information like she is staying alone, with her grandma, walks her dog every morning.. bla blah..

I don't know, it's probably foreign for me that internet fame is important, but is it really important compared to the private informations that you share with every kind of people out there? Seriously. These infos could be easily used for stalking/robbery/identity theft. Long gone the days when potential robbers need to spend days to observe their victim's habit/routine/place of residence/how many occupants etc.

The other scenario is, I have 40-50 years old friends, a couple. Every single time, every single place we go and every single food place we visit, they would do the 'check-in' (I think it's the term to log in some place and it would show in the status of the social media that who and who are in that place). I can't put my head on the logic, I think it's idiotic to advertise every single places and moves that you do. And if you are in those places, means you are not at home, it's pretty neat to schedule a robbery don't you think? I get thay some social media have private settings but judging from the loose 'friend' term in social media.. yah.. lots of strangers.

I've raised my concern to them once but the habit don't change, I guess they feel safe enough, so I'd just rolled my eyes and these older teenagers.

Grumpy outdated social media hater izzit...

• Like 2

I just received an email from PhotoBucket notifying me that I have reached my limit for 3rd Party Hosting -- e.g., hotlinking to my PhotoBucket account when I want to post a photo here.  So what did they do?  Seems like they would say, OK, that's enough, you can't hotlink to any additional photos.  But noooooo -- they've disabled ALL of my hotlinks!!!!!  None of them will ever work again unless I pay money for the privilege!

So for example, my tour of the North Gower filming for TSo3 is no longer illustrated.

Like Hell I am gonna reward that kind of underhanded stunt!  OK folks, is there a photo-hosting site with better manners?  Or maybe I should use the web-hosting space that comes with my email account?

What I don't get is the stupidity of people announcing they are on holidays on Facebook. Telling the world your house will be empty for a week or two really is the height of idiocy. 

I use a private board on Pinterest for anything I can't just link from another website. Otherwise there is Flickr?

• Like 2

I have recently found this

(https://postimages.org/)

I can't make workable link.

Easy, hassle free, and so far none of my post changes into inappropriate anime and no one has complained that the images don't show.

• Like 1

Apologies for being a typical British person and complaining about the weather so much but really? REALLY?!  :angry:

post-2268-0-29652300-1500585025_thumb.png

Apologies for being a typical British person and complaining about the weather so much but really? REALLY?! :angry:

Looks lovely, Pseudonym. It's currently -3C here in the south eastern part of Australia.

• Like 1

I just received an email from PhotoBucket notifying me that I have reached my limit for 3rd Party Hosting -- e.g., hotlinking to my PhotoBucket account when I want to post a photo here.  So what did they do?  Seems like they would say, OK, that's enough, you can't hotlink to any additional photos.  But noooooo -- they've disabled ALL of my hotlinks!!!!!  None of them will ever work again unless I pay money for the privilege!

So for example, my tour of the North Gower filming for TSo3 is no longer illustrated.

Like Hell I am gonna reward that kind of underhanded stunt!  OK folks, is there a photo-hosting site with better manners?  Or maybe I should use the web-hosting space that comes with my email account?

I wonder if maybe something else could be going on? Because I was just on another site and the same thing was happening there. What are the odds it would happen to two people at the same time? Probably not that high, actually, but it makes me wonder.

But it's your winter, this is our summer; rain rain rain. And I had a delightfully flooded kitchen a couple of days ago, plus a load of people had to be evacuated from their homes in Cornwall thanks to floods. 

It's good to have someone here from Australia though, we were talking a while ago how it was strange there was no one from New Zealand or Australia on here. Welcome!

• Like 1

Oh! I had no idea you had floods. That's a bit not good then.

I am new-ish. I joined years ago, posted a hello message, then promptly faked my own death so I could secretly break up a criminal network. Either that or I forgot to come back.

But thanks for the welcome!

Am I really the only member from Downunder?

• Like 2

Yep, only one I know of. We were wondering if Sherlock just wasn't watched that much in your neck of the woods.

You faked your own death to take down criminals? That reminds me of someone but I can't for the life of me think who. :P

• Like 1

It's quite popular here, but we had to pay to watch it on a streaming channel. Our free to air channel (the ABC... a bit like the BBC) airs the episodes for free a year or two later.

It was a bit tricky being on hiatus. Grew my hair long, and a beard. Quite challenging, since I'm a woman.

• Like 4

Apologies for being a typical British person and complaining about the weather so much but really? REALLY?!  :angry:

:D

Looks like the cop and pilot really have good influence with meteorology department. (Btw Why meteorology is not study about meteor?)

It's quite popular here, but we had to pay to watch it on a streaming channel. Our free to air channel (the ABC... a bit like the BBC) airs the episodes for free a year or two later.

It was a bit tricky being on hiatus. Grew my hair long, and a beard. Quite challenging, since I'm a woman.

• Like 2

Apologies for being a typical British person and complaining about the weather so much but really? REALLY?! :angry:

Looks lovely, Pseudonym. It's currently -3C here in the south eastern part of Australia.

I agree on the too wet and it's about 20 degrees too cold Pseud. I'd take the -3 if it were winter here.

Oh! I had no idea you had floods. That's a bit not good then.

I am new-ish. I joined years ago, posted a hello message, then promptly faked my own death so I could secretly break up a criminal network. Either that or I forgot to come back.

But thanks for the welcome!

Am I really the only member from Downunder?

Looks like the cop and pilot really have good influence with meteorology department. (Btw Why meteorology is not study about meteor?)

Sharpie could be the solution. :p

I remember there are other members from downunder, at least I remember greeting one, but most likely they fake their death too. :D

Yes there was another one from down there. Don't remember off hand who as I thought Slithytove was UK but she may have been it.

• Like 1

I'm sorry pilot and cop pilot - I won't sunbathe nakey again I promise! Just bring back the weekend sun!

• Like 2

You can have ours. Since I have to skip most summer activities anyway this year, I am very grateful for cool cloudy days. Very willing to trade weather! :-P

• Like 2

We have heat advisories out here. The temperature has been in the 90-95F range for several days with high humidity. Very oppressive. Little or no rain.