Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

53 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

My recurring dream (that I'm even aware in my dream that I am dreaming and thinking here we go in same situation again) is being in a place where I have to go toilet/shower but all I could find is communal bathroom, with no or low wall and the one that is acceptable in term of cleanliness is the one that is the most exposed.

Oh, thank goodness -- I'm not the only one!  Only mine is even worse.  I need to go, and the only toilet I can find is out in the middle of a busy area, like a big hotel lobby.  But I *really* have to go, so I do, trying to be nonchalent, hoping no one will notice me.  I think I'm usually wearing a full skirt, which helps.  I don't recall having that dream for a long time now, but it used to occur every now and then.

Then there's the one where I'm back in college, and I suddenly realized that I'm supposed to be taking the final exam for a course that I'd forgotten to attend -- and I'm rushing around trying to find out where the exam is....

Oh, I hate those. I call them frustration dreams, where you're trying and trying and trying to do something and you can't. Haven't had one in years, yay!

• Like 2

OMG, me too! I dream I have to go to the toilet really bad and the only ones available are communal and absolutely filthy. 

I also dream that it's deadline time in school and I realise I've forgotten to do an entire years coursework. 

• Like 1

Good god! Deadlines and forgetting to bring necessary/prepare for exams!!! You guys too?

What did Mycroft say about coincidence? You know nothing, Mycroft!

Look at us. LOOK AT US!

I think we here do share quite a lot of similarities that I hardly find in real life. Do you guys think because of that we would get along or are we definitely going to annoy each other?    :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Oh, I hate those. I call them frustration dreams, where you're trying and trying and trying to do something and you can't. Haven't had one in years, yay!

I think they are quite common. I get them too and so does my mom. 

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I dream everytime I sleep and remember most of them,

^ Ditto.

I'm even aware in my dream that I am dreaming and thinking here we go in same situation again

^ Ditto again.

My recurring dream (that I'm even aware in my dream that I am dreaming and thinking here we go in same situation again) is being in a place where I have to go toilet/shower but all I could find is communal bathroom, with no or low wall and the one that is acceptable in term of cleanliness is the one that is the most exposed. Even when I wait for everyone not to be around, when I'm about to strip, there is always someone coming or I would notice another opening or window. And it's never resolved, I never use those and would continue to search and search and search..

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Oh, thank goodness -- I'm not the only one!  Only mine is even worse.  I need to go, and the only toilet I can find is out in the middle of a busy area, like a big hotel lobby.  But I *really* have to go, so I do, trying to be nonchalent, hoping no one will notice me.

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Then there's the one where I'm back in college, and I suddenly realized that I'm supposed to be taking the final exam for a course that I'd forgotten to attend -- and I'm rushing around trying to find out where the exam is....

4 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

OMG, me too! I dream I have to go to the toilet really bad and the only ones available are communal and absolutely filthy. 

I also dream that it's deadline time in school and I realise I've forgotten to do an entire years coursework.

^ So many dittos!  I have those dreams too, very similar, and very often.  I'd even say that the vast majority of my dreams are frustration dreams.  My dad never has them, he always has positive dreams in which things work out in his favor or he solves every predicament he faces.  I can't imagine that, I never have those.  I don't know about my mom.

I have had 'premonition dreams' on occasion, but never about anything useful.  My parents have both had them as well and my grandmother actually had a few that were useful, so I guess it runs in the family.

• Like 2

I think the deadline ones are common because we've all had a deadline that we've worried over at some point. I'm interested so many of us have panicky toilet dreams though! :D

I think the bathroom ones happen when I actually need to use the bathroom, but I can't wake up enough yet to do so and my brain knows I shouldn't go in my sleep.  So it creates a situation where I have to keep looking for an appropriate place to go until I finally wake up.

I think we here do share quite a lot of similarities that I hardly find in real life. Do you guys think because of that we would get along or are we definitely going to annoy each other? 

Probably both.  :P

• Like 1

Oh, my, the loo-nightmares. The weird, unusable toilets I dreamt about would fill whole CAMs Mind Palace. :D They became less extreme nowadays though.

The exams dreams occur quite often and sometimes it feels as if I remembered the other ones and they all built a whole parallel universe of missing teachers (so we haven't had a specific subject for a whole semester) and "sudden" final exams in funny places, with missing materials, disrupting people or ridiculous topics.

A third recurring theme is moving to some strange, unsuitable, ruined or already crowded place. Recently I've been moving back to my school dormitory at least 3 times.

I just had another dream that involves toilet but this time is a bit different, and weirdly gross but not in toilet style because surprisingly, this time, the toilet was sparkling clean and enclosed.

I hang out with three friends in a restaurant, but somehoe they are from different cycle :confused2:, and in desperate need to change my top. The only place available was this toilet with squatting style (the one installed on the floor) and on the floor, there were plethora of raw chicken wings, scattered and pile around up to the wall and some made it into the toilet. I was grossed out with the sight and thought that wait, this is how the restaurant keeps its supply??????? But then, when I tried to tell others, no one else found it strange, they just shrugged it off, and I ended up really tried to change my top there, and then I got stuck, because the loose white thin blouse that I was wearing apparently had the same consistency (?) of those body suit for surfing (and that is indeed one hell of effort needed). GAhhhh.. pointless dream!

• Confused 1

Wow, I guess I'm lucky; the only recurring dream I used to have was trying to find my way out of a building, opening door after door that led to nowhere. Frustration!

I used to have a lot of flying dreams, too. At one time it was popular to say flying dreams were about death, but I never quite believed it because I was always happy in those dreams. I think the theory's been debunked since then. (?)

How annoying, I bought a uni hoodie but because they are unisex sizes when it turned up it was massive. So I sent it back and bought a small one instead. All fine, I've been waiting for them to process my refund and they've now just emailed me so say 'it's not in a re-sellable condition because it's covered in animal hair.' It hasn't been anywhere near my animals! I literally tried it on, decided no and sent it back. They sent photos of this supposed animal hair, the only thing I can think it's from is a jacket I tried on top of it that had a fleece lining - I certainly didn't notice anything or I would have run a lint roller over it. So annoying. They've said they'll send it back to me but I don't know if I am expected to pay the postage charge again and what the hell am I meant to do with a hoodie that's massive? I suppose I'll have to wear it around the house as a pajama top. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I used to have a lot of flying dreams, too. At one time it was popular to say flying dreams were about death, but I never quite believed it because I was always happy in those dreams.

Me too, mostly.  Or at least in the dream I was glad that I could fly -- or levitate, actually (I wasn't flapping my arms).

You might enjoy Zenna Henderson's stories and novels about The People.  When I read No Different Flesh, something kept tickling at the back of my brain, till I put the book down and closed my eyes -- and then I remembered having had dreams where I could levitate.  I had several more levitation dreams afterward -- they were basically about being different, not fitting in.

I see that there was a "People" TV movie with William Shatner and Kim Darby, but alas the DVD that Amazon carries is reported to be of utterly abysmal quality (half the reviews are one star, and even the five-star reviews mention the horrible repro quality).  Somebody said the original movie might be on YouTube -- yup, in fact there are several copies plus some clips.  Will have to check those out.

• Thanks 1

Oh yes, flying! I do fly a lot, but those dreams are not so significant, because they are not annoying and exhausting like the others. What is common in them - flying always needs a certain mental effort and it's always the same. And I'm always aware of the risk of falling if I don't concentrate - it's a bit like biking or swimming. And I never flap my arms.

4 hours ago, J.P. said:

Oh yes, flying! I do fly a lot, but those dreams are not so significant, because they are not annoying and exhausting like the others. What is common in them - flying always needs a certain mental effort and it's always the same. And I'm always aware of the risk of falling if I don't concentrate - it's a bit like biking or swimming. And I never flap my arms.

Right, dream-flying is a will-power thing.  If I don't concentrate sufficiently, I start to sink.

Sometimes I feel (when I'm awake) that if I could exert just the right mental effort, I really could levitate.  In fact, I had a dream once where I was thinking that, and was then able to do it, and then thought Aha! I knew I could!  (But then I woke up.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

How annoying, I bought a uni hoodie but because they are unisex sizes when it turned up it was massive.

Yah, what is up with sizes there? I bought a M unisex hoodie online too and the bottom of it reaches my knee, and I am not small size. But the postage is too expensive for me to return it, so I plan to wear it when I really need to cozy up, or when I need to hide a dozen of puppies.

Flying dream! Yes, for me, it feels as easy as breath-in and take off (which is probably influence by the breathing method I use for scuba). In my dream, I would use the flying skill to chill out and avoid annoying people. I do help with crime one or two times but definitely use it for mostly selfish way. :P

Do you guys experience sleep paralysis before? Luckily it only happened to me two times when I was in uni when I was probably too tired. But those were scary, especially when my uni was creepy as well and a hostel-mate who experienced it before didn't really know what it was and said it as her supernatural experience. The first time I dreamed someone was trying to choke me and I couldn't fight back regardless how hard I tried. The second time was probably a combination of sleep paralysis but more like a dream in progress, not really sure, but I see myself leaving my body. 

I've never had sleep paralysis, it's something I've heard a lot about and the idea terrifies me, especially since I read you usually feel like there's something in the room with you! My ex used to get it, but I don't think he ever had it whilst I was there. Thinking someone is choking you sounds terrifying! I know feeling like there's a weight on you, like someone sitting on you is supposed to be fairly common. I do have a disturbing thing where I'm mostly awake, actually up and moving around, but a large part of my brain is still dreaming, so it's like I'm hallucinating and emotionally I'm still in the dream. 

I also talk in my sleep and sleep with my eyes open. Sometimes the talking is in the form of whispering, which I've been told is really creepy. 

• Confused 1

I’ve only had one flying dream.  I remember it distinctly because it was one of the only dreams I’ve ever had where I felt happy.

When I was younger I used to have a lot of tornado dreams, missing the bus dreams, and dreams where I had to drive a car without knowing how to do it, usually in the dark.  I often ended up driving into a lake and sinking in those dreams.

I think I may have had sleep paralysis a few times, I’m not sure.  There was a period of time where I repeatedly saw a demon in my nightmares.  He was all black with sickly yellow eyes, and an unnaturally long smile that spread all the way across his face.  He would taunt me about being alone and unloved, and slowly crawl over me in bed, and laugh in my face; and his laugh would rise gradually louder and higher, until it sounded completely inhuman.  I would try to scream, but it seemed like he was doing something to prohibit it, and the sound would come out muffled, as if I were screaming underwater.

The strangest part is that this was happening during the same time that I was spending a lot of time with an old acquaintance, who was a self-proclaimed witch.  She claimed to have a demonic attachment since childhood, but she said a lot of things, and though I am open-minded, I am also far too much of a skeptic to just believe everything I hear.  What’s weird though is that at the same time I started having these nightmares, without ever mentioning it to her, she told me that her attachment had started latching on to me, and attacking me through my dreams.  According to her, I was a “better meal” due to my deep depression and PTSD.  (She was actually acting quite possessive and jealous about it supposedly having left her for me, which weirded me out a bit.)  Eventually I stopped seeing her (not because of this stuff, she just got too busy), and the demon nightmares went away in tandem.  About a month after my last one, again without mentioning it to her, I got a call from her saying that the demon had come back to her.

To this day, I still wonder if there was something to all that.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Do you guys experience sleep paralysis before? Luckily it only happened to me two times when I was in uni when I was probably too tired. But those were scary, especially when my uni was creepy as well and a hostel-mate who experienced it before didn't really know what it was and said it as her supernatural experience. The first time I dreamed someone was trying to choke me and I couldn't fight back regardless how hard I tried. The second time was probably a combination of sleep paralysis but more like a dream in progress, not really sure, but I see myself leaving my body. 

According to the experts, everybody experiences paralysis when they're sound asleep, which would include when they're dreaming.  That's supposedly why it's so common to have dreams like when you couldn't fight back, or where you're trying to run but it feels like your feet are stuck in molasses, and so on.  I remember once having a nightmare where I was in some sort of terrifying danger and trying desperately to shout for help; apparently the effort started to waken me, and I was finally able to yell "Help!!!" just as I woke -- which of course also woke Alex, but he has occasional nightmares too, so he was sympathetic.

I've known two people who are/were into out-of-body experiences.  I suspect such things might happen now and then, but I'm not convinced.  In any case, I'd be quite hesitant to intentionally try to make that happen, lest I succeed and then not be able to get back.

Oh, sleep paralysis. It started with one of my anti-depressants. I was lying in bed, I knew where I was, aware of my body position. When I tried to move, the body "consciousness" told me I move, but there was no "response" to it, like feeling the blanket. Thank goodness I've heard about this condition before and soon I recognized what is going on. At the beginning it was only this and it has a funny component of watching myself waking up (after a conscious mental effort to do so). But later I've got very intense nightmares with it, like the feeling something drags me out of the bed. Once I felt a terrible, dark presence at the foot of my bed. If I was religious I'd say I've met a demon.

Thankfully the trouble stopped with a change of the medication.

It still occurs to me from time to time, sometimes accompanied with a dream about waking up and going out of the bed, but it isn't too troublesome.

I developed a test: I try to slap myself. If it feels like I'm moving slowly through honey and cannot feel pain, I'm still asleep. :D

20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Sometimes I feel (when I'm awake) that if I could exert just the right mental effort, I really could levitate.

As I was very young, my first (remembered) flying dream was so intense, I really thought I could do it. I still remember it and it was a case when I actually used my hands - I "swam" out of the window. That happened years before I learned to swim. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17 minutes ago, J.P. said:

I developed a test: I try to slap myself. If it feels like I'm moving slowly through honey and cannot feel pain, I'm still asleep.

Either that or you're high as a kite!